Hong Kong '82. minor fix, big difference

Online music exchange.
Tim Bucknall
Bang Ice Geezer

Hong Kong '82. minor fix, big difference

Post by Tim Bucknall »

https://mega.nz/folder/ZiAVVCjJ#HwI-IFmFQSm1eIRuiTgagQ

I used the 24 track mp3 version because its all i had
This is not a bad recording of an FM radio broadcast, it's an excellent recording of an AM Radio Broadcast!
The concert was broadcast on 864khz Medium wave and is affected by 2 heterodynes (whistles) at 6khz & 9khz
The whistle at 6khz is from the Voice of Vietnam broadcasting on 870khz, pretty funny that a performance of Charlie Don't surf is getting interference from Hanoi
the whistle at 9khz is a cluster of multiple closely spaced heterodynes caused by many radio stations broadcasting on 855 & 873khz

so I used Adobe Audition to notch out the whistles , i removed as narrow a band of frequencies as i could
i didn't do anything else because it didn't need it and because heavy handed "remastering" always backfires

I'm still making my personal 3CD compilation of Sandinista! era shows
mashing various shows together to include every song performed in 1981
kind of like the Hits bootleg LP did but using overburned CDrs so each disc is 85 minutes
I'm cheating a bit by using using Ghetto Defendant from 7/30/92 and Mick's Bataclan performance with futura so i can make the compilation 100% soundboard

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Hong Kong '82. minor fix, big difference

Post by Heston »

This sounds interesting, cheers Tim.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Tim Bucknall wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 3:56pm

This is not a bad recording of an FM radio broadcast, it's an excellent recording of an AM Radio Broadcast!
The concert was broadcast on 864khz Medium wave and is affected by 2 heterodynes (whistles) at 6khz & 9khz
The whistle at 6khz is from the Voice of Vietnam broadcasting on 870khz, pretty funny that a performance of Charlie Don't surf is getting interference from Hanoi
the whistle at 9khz is a cluster of multiple closely spaced heterodynes caused by many radio stations broadcasting on 855 & 873khz

so I used Adobe Audition to notch out the whistles , i removed as narrow a band of frequencies as i could
i didn't do anything else because it didn't need it and because heavy handed "remastering" always backfires

kind of like the Hits bootleg LP did but using overburned CDrs so each disc is 85 minutes
I'm cheating a bit by using using Ghetto Defendant from 7/30/92 and Mick's Bataclan performance with futura so i can make the compilation 100% soundboard

This sounds so much better, Tim. Thank you. Can someone please get him the other tracks?!

Blackmarketclash
Dirty Punk

Post by Blackmarketclash »

34 track version.. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i9ge579fi5hl ... yhYVa?dl=0
Tim Bucknall wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 3:56pm

Tim Bucknall
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by Tim Bucknall »

thanks for the tracks Teddy & Graham
and thanks for the kind words

here's a 34 track version with the interference notched out
https://mega.nz/folder/Q6xmhIRL#_T8XGm8z2MVeFVqzbqNWdg

there was no way of smoothing the transition between the Flac section and the more lossy (intro and end tracks)
all i could do was volume match. let me know if its too loud

I had to scoop out quite a bit more of spectrum on the last tracks , what was a narrow line of interference on the first 24 tracks was more smeared out
possibly by tape-to tape copying

does the tape speed up? Micks voice sounds really wierd during POMB

if you can get the owner of the 34 track version to lend his tape out I can it pro transferred on a Nakamichi deck
(i'm getting my Liverpool 81 tape done)

I did the same trick on the Mogador AM Broadcast
https://mega.nz/folder/RqhSlCJT#DoTvwl_wvE4jtyLHBnkG9A

i removed a tone around 16khz could be something in the tape deck or interference from a neighbours TV
mogador is lossy btw, forgive me bloating to flac, its a standard for one of the other communities i'm in
makes sense for hong kong, less so for mogador

I think the Mogador soundboard is quite a nice source up to SEH, nowhere near as bad as has been reported, certainly not too poor to circulate

Tim Bucknall
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by Tim Bucknall »

sorry i used a lossy source for the encores because i didn't realise there was a AIFF

i'll re do
i'll do all of the full source then people can decide if they want to mix and match from the 2 tapes

my ears are shot, i'll take a break before trying again

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

Thanks Tim. We eagerly await the final draft.

ic1960
Dirty Punk

Post by ic1960 »

Thanks for your work on these.....sounds interesting and will give them a listen.

ic1960
Dirty Punk

Post by ic1960 »

Thanks for your work on these.....sounds interesting and will give them a listen. Hong Kong sounds good!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Tim

I downloaded the 34 track version. Good job removing the whistles.

However and no fault of yours but this runs at least 4-5% too fast. Plus it's been heavily brickwalled. Topper sounds like he's hitting his drums with a couple of mallets than drumsticks.

Can be rectified though. I will remix this when I get chance.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia