IMCT Running Club

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: IMCT Running Club

Post by Kory »

Update: I did my stairs in the heat anyway. I had planned to just do 3/4 of it and then come back for some planks, but something about the relaxation of knowing I didn't have to do my usual routine pushed me to just do it anyway. It was rough though, I hope this is a short summer in terms of stifling heat.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
28 Jul 2020, 3:47pm
Update: I did my stairs in the heat anyway. I had planned to just do 3/4 of it and then come back for some planks, but something about the relaxation of knowing I didn't have to do my usual routine pushed me to just do it anyway. It was rough though, I hope this is a short summer in terms of stifling heat.
I've had a lot of bike rides like that. I'm feeling run down, mentally not up for it but figure, whatever, just grind out that kilometres. And then I end up with a really good time. No pressure, maybe?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

matedog wrote:
19 Jun 2020, 4:46pm
Also pr'd again today by 4 seconds: 28:55 vs. 28:59. What was cool was I was behind halfway through but ran a stupid fast third mile to make up:
1. 10:02 (today) vs 9:55
2. 7:15 (today) vs 7:10
3. 6:33 (today) vs 6:46
4. 6:48 (today) vs 6:51

Not my favorite way to pace, but it worked out in the end.
Looks like I haven't updated in awhile, but I've improved on my time again a couple weeks ago to 28:24 (there was one more or PRs between that and the one I have above):
1. 9:32 (recent PR prace) vs 10:02 (old pr pace)
2. 7:12 vs 7:15
3. 6:36 vs 6:33
4. 6:35 vs 6:48

I've been running at around 8am or 9am when doing these timed runs. Family went on a trip last Friday so I did my most recent run rolling out of bed at 6am and my time dropped from 28:24 to 29:09. Every roll out of bed run I do is noticeably slower and this was pretty solid proof. I'm guessing it's because my blood pressure is slow right when I get out of bed, but it's definitely noticeable when I'm in the run too. Way less strength.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jul 2020, 4:14pm
Kory wrote:
28 Jul 2020, 3:47pm
I've had a lot of bike rides like that. I'm feeling run down, mentally not up for it but figure, whatever, just grind out that kilometres. And then I end up with a really good time. No pressure, maybe?
I thought '"well I'm already out here and I have the energy, so I might as well finish. Plus I'll be glad I did at the end."
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

new jorb has gotten me totally crashed out of all physical activity for the last week and a half. Probably will be that way the rest of the week, but hoping things get settled enough that I can start grabbing runs before or after work or w/e. So far it's just been roll out of bed and get to work non-stop until you crawl back in at 11 or 12 at night. Now I remember why I spent like 2 decades avoiding doing this shit again.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

matedog

Post by matedog »

matedog wrote:
28 Jul 2020, 5:13pm

Looks like I haven't updated in awhile, but I've improved on my time again a couple weeks ago to 28:24 (there was one more or PRs between that and the one I have above):
1. 9:32 (recent PR prace) vs 10:02 (old pr pace)
2. 7:12 vs 7:15
3. 6:36 vs 6:33
4. 6:35 vs 6:48
I had another great run on friday dropping my PR from 28:24 down to 27:51. It's fun to compare my first time running this route at 34:23 vs. my current PR:
1. 11:29 vs. 9:26
2. 8:38 vs. 6:59
3. 7:51 vs. 6:27
3.75. 8:24 vs. 6:38

I guess most obviously, I took the most time off the first mile, but that had the most fat to trim. I'm waiting to start plateauing, especially since i'm not going beyond 10 mile runs on my long run days, but it's really fun to keep improving.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

You go fucking fast man. I don't think I've ever been faster than 8 something
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

matedog

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 6:22pm
You go fucking fast man. I don't think I've ever been faster than 8 something
It helps that those were generally downhill miles. Also I have been doing distance running on/off since I was a kid. I'm kind of curious to see if I could beat my high school 3-mile time now. It was in the 18 minute realm. If I find a flat course I might have a shot.

matedog

Post by matedog »

I haven't posted in awhile, but my best pace/time was on August 28th, a few seconds faster than the previous record from a few weeks before at 27:51 (same as the few weeks prior, but length is inaccurate and pace confirms this was my record) .

The last month or so, I have been slowly tapering due to heat waves and mostly extended poor air quality. I had been doing three runs, totaling about 20 miles a week and eventually dropped to one 6 to 8 mile run when the air quality would allow it. This morning I did my timed run and clocked i n at around 28:55, a minute slower than my best time a few weeks ago and my worst time in about 2 1/2 months. It's crazy that 3 or so weeks of poor/reduced training can reduce your progress by months. Interestingly, whereas my usual discomfort during races came from heart/lung/cardio limitations, I felt weakness in my muscles (specifically quads) today. Hopefully the air stays good and I can get back into it because this morning did not feel strong.

9:11 (record pace from 8/28) vs. 9:27 (today)
7:13 vs. 7:21
6:27 vs. 6:47
6:34 vs. 7:09

You can really see my run out of gas at the end.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 2:47pm
I haven't posted in awhile, but my best pace/time was on August 28th, a few seconds faster than the previous record from a few weeks before at 27:51 (same as the few weeks prior, but length is inaccurate and pace confirms this was my record) .

The last month or so, I have been slowly tapering due to heat waves and mostly extended poor air quality. I had been doing three runs, totaling about 20 miles a week and eventually dropped to one 6 to 8 mile run when the air quality would allow it. This morning I did my timed run and clocked i n at around 28:55, a minute slower than my best time a few weeks ago and my worst time in about 2 1/2 months. It's crazy that 3 or so weeks of poor/reduced training can reduce your progress by months. Interestingly, whereas my usual discomfort during races came from heart/lung/cardio limitations, I felt weakness in my muscles (specifically quads) today. Hopefully the air stays good and I can get back into it because this morning did not feel strong.

It gets worse the older you get. I know that's why I freak out when I know I'm going to be off for a couple weeks—I'm going to have to build that up again.

How self-competitive are you? That is, do you record times for fun or is it a real motivator to try to improve? I honestly don't know if I could regularly row or cycle if I didn't keep really detailed records of each session in a spreadsheet. The numbers don't mean anything really, but that record keeping is a spur.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 2:56pm
matedog wrote:

It gets worse the older you get. I know that's why I freak out when I know I'm going to be off for a couple weeks—I'm going to have to build that up again.

How self-competitive are you? That is, do you record times for fun or is it a real motivator to try to improve? I honestly don't know if I could regularly row or cycle if I didn't keep really detailed records of each session in a spreadsheet. The numbers don't mean anything really, but that record keeping is a spur.
Ugh and here I was thinking I was hot shit and maybe able to compete with 17 year old Matey.

The weekly timed runs have been a big motivator. Particularly as you see improvement. I'm worried if I can't get back to where I was or can't get beyond my best, that I'll lose motivation, but I guess we'll see. I've also opted to not do runs longer than 10 miles and no more than 3 times a week. I lost a ton of weight and not in a good way, so I don't want to lose anymore.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 3:31pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:

Ugh and here I was thinking I was hot shit and maybe able to compete with 17 year old Matey.

The weekly timed runs have been a big motivator. Particularly as you see improvement. I'm worried if I can't get back to where I was or can't get beyond my best, that I'll lose motivation, but I guess we'll see. I've also opted to not do runs longer than 10 miles and no more than 3 times a week. I lost a ton of weight and not in a good way, so I don't want to lose anymore.
I know that eventually my times are going to get worse. I haven't gotten there yet, but it'll happen. And I honestly don't know how I'll react. Hopefully with some maturity and acceptance, but I'm seriously self-competitive. I'm fine with maintaining pace, but getting slower will be rough when it happens.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 3:36pm
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:

I know that eventually my times are going to get worse. I haven't gotten there yet, but it'll happen. And I honestly don't know how I'll react. Hopefully with some maturity and acceptance, but I'm seriously self-competitive. I'm fine with maintaining pace, but getting slower will be rough when it happens.
I haven't had too much aging yet at 37. Still got my hair, still skinny as shit, running general as good as ever. I kinda wish I'd lose something earlier or soon because I think people are more adaptable to change at a younger age. I do have some grays coming in that I'm in strong denial of. And some serious crows feet around the eyes that I'm self conscious of, but that's it. I'm worried I'm going to get a bunch of shit at once at 40 or (worse) 50 and have a mid-life crisis.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 4:01pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:

I haven't had too much aging yet at 37. Still got my hair, still skinny as shit, running general as good as ever. I kinda wish I'd lose something earlier or soon because I think people are more adaptable to change at a younger age. I do have some grays coming in that I'm in strong denial of. And some serious crows feet around the eyes that I'm self conscious of, but that's it. I'm worried I'm going to get a bunch of shit at once at 40 or (worse) 50 and have a mid-life crisis.
Being active, I assume, is the best defence. Or at least to minimize things. Genetics is genetics, but being physically and mentally active is easier when you're younger. I do a shitload of various puzzles every day on the assumption that it'll keep my brain limber. Cos sooner or later, that, too, will start eroding.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 4:56pm
matedog wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 4:01pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Being active, I assume, is the best defence. Or at least to minimize things. Genetics is genetics, but being physically and mentally active is easier when you're younger. I do a shitload of various puzzles every day on the assumption that it'll keep my brain limber. Cos sooner or later, that, too, will start eroding.
As someone who likes outdoor running, sunblock is obviously critical. Otherwise, can't wait to fall apart!