What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Heston »

:cry: 3
Marky Dread wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 6:40pm
Heston wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 5:51pm
It often gets overshadowed by The Story of the Blues but I forgot what a great single this is. Moving lyric about the economic suffering of Liverpool in the 80s, and love the references to You'll Never Walk Alone and She Loves You. What really surprises me in retrospect is how much it sounds like the Manic Street Preachers.

Brilliant song and a brilliant band. Check out the single "Weekends" from the same album fantastic.
Listening now, good track, reminds me of the Bunnymen in places.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

I really forgot how great this album is, it's been a while since I heard it in one sitting. Deny doesn't often get praise but it's a little gem for me. "Baby ain't got a hope...."
theclash.jpg
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 7:26pm
I really forgot how great this album is, it's been a while since I heard it in one sitting. Deny doesn't often get praise but it's a little gem for me. "Baby ain't got a hope...."

theclash.jpg
All those songs that were omitted from the US compilation are great and tell the full picture.

Whilst they can never compete with the likes of Complete Control they are still all worthy in their own right.

Plus I love the way they recorded it as it has it's own sound. Terry may not be in Toppers league but the drum sound on ST is great. On Protex Blue when the drums come in is one of my favourite moments on a Clash record.

"Deny"
"Cheat"
"Protex Blue"
"48 Hours"
"White Riot" (original version)

All are great tracks. "Deny" has some great lyrics as Heston mentions. "Cheat" has that killer use of flanger. "Protex Blue" has a great sixties garage style riff. "48 Hours" is a song everybody should be able to relate to.

"White Riot" nuff said.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

This would fit nicely on Abbey Road, to my ears anyway.

It'd be the best song on there too.
Attachments
Screenshot_20200813-203036_Deezer.jpg

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Playing the Clash debut, blasting the midweek blues off.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Marky Dread wrote:
11 Aug 2020, 4:14am
Heston wrote:

theclash.jpg
All those songs that were omitted from the US compilation are great and tell the full picture.

Whilst they can never compete with the likes of Complete Control they are still all worthy in their own right.

Plus I love the way they recorded it as it has it's own sound. Terry may not be in Toppers league but the drum sound on ST is great. On Protex Blue when the drums come in is one of my favourite moments on a Clash record.

"Deny"
"Cheat"
"Protex Blue"
"48 Hours"

All are great tracks. "Deny" has some great lyrics as Heston mentions. "Cheat" has that killer use of flanger. "Protex Blue" has a great sixties garage style riff. "48 Hours" is a song everybody should be able to relate to.

"White Riot" nuff said.

Protex Blue is top ten for me. They played it when I first saw them at the Orpheum. Had no idea what it was then!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

IkarisOne wrote:
19 Aug 2020, 9:17pm
Marky Dread wrote:
11 Aug 2020, 4:14am
Heston wrote:

theclash.jpg

"Deny"
"Cheat"
"Protex Blue"
"48 Hours"

"White Riot" nuff said.

Protex Blue is top ten for me. They played it when I first saw them at the Orpheum. Had no idea what it was then!
Definitely an underrated classic punk track for me.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inspired by that mention in the Stewart Home piece, I checked out the whole album. This is wonderfully lo-fi, basic garage punk. The songs all kind of sound the same, but it's great inane stuff.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Aug 2020, 5:54pm
Inspired by that mention in the Stewart Home piece, I checked out the whole album. This is wonderfully lo-fi, basic garage punk. The songs all kind of sound the same, but it's great inane stuff.
David Peel, unknown to most was a national treasure.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
20 Aug 2020, 6:48pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Aug 2020, 5:54pm
David Peel, unknown to most was a national treasure.
I confess that I only partially know of him from "The Pope Smokes Dope" and his connection to Lennon.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Back to Front—a six-volume compilation of punk obscurities. I love these collections, scraps of evidence of stories that don't get told of punk's reach and possibilities.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Great album, phenomenal song. Bon on top form and having great fun by the sounds of it.

"She's got the jack, and who knows what else?!"
Attachments
Screenshot_20200823-211907_Deezer.jpg

Heston

Post by Heston »

BitterTom wrote:
23 Aug 2020, 4:21pm
Great album, phenomenal song. Bon on top form and having great fun by the sounds of it.

Do you not think the live version on "If You Want Blood" is superior? It's the definitive version for me, as are a few on that album, especially Whole Lotta Rosie..

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
23 Aug 2020, 4:43pm
BitterTom wrote:

Do you not think the live version on "If You Want Blood" is superior? It's the definitive version for me, as are a few on that album, especially Whole Lotta Rosie..
That's a great live album. Probably a top 10 rock n roll live album.

Heston

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
23 Aug 2020, 4:56pm
Heston wrote:
23 Aug 2020, 4:43pm
BitterTom wrote:

That's a great live album. Probably a top 10 rock n roll live album.
Definitely. It just sounds meatier than the production on their earlier albums and the band are honed to fuck.