Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Ultimate Women's Album - Side 1 Track 6 Vote - Round 2

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Olaf wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 12:20pm
revbob wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 7:05pm
Boo
At least the biggest duds are out of the way now.
So hopeful, so naive. :ohboy:
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Heston wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 12:24pm
Olaf wrote:
revbob wrote:
Boo
Not sure what the boo was for? Thought it was maybe the name of some rockabilly chick.
Probably the drummer from ZZ Topless.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Olaf wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 12:50pm
Heston wrote:
Olaf wrote:
revbob wrote:
Boo
Not sure what the boo was for? Thought it was maybe the name of some rockabilly chick.
I wonder if she has a nice beard. :shifty:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Marky Dread wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 1:28pm
Olaf wrote:
Heston wrote:
Olaf wrote:
revbob wrote:
Boo
You would be disappointed. They are dudes with shirts and on top of that they're Canadian .

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I was gone for the most of this round but I'll just say there's nothing wrong with Kate Bush ending up on this thing, whether or not she'd have been my top pick this round initially. Extremely gifted, eccentric pop genius.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

revbob wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 2:04pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Olaf wrote:
Heston wrote:
Olaf wrote:

You would be disappointed. They are dudes with shirts and on top of that they're Canadian .
From Kate's Bush to Boo's Beard. I know I'm a terrible person. :mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 2:04pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Olaf wrote:
Heston wrote:
Olaf wrote:

In which case, they have to be Zed Zed Topless.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

I don't think I have heard the Kate Bush song before. I wanted to not like it after the oversung intro, but it's a pretty cool song. No regrets about 99 Luftballoons getting my vote though.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 5:47pm
I don't think I have heard the Kate Bush song before. I wanted to not like it after the oversung intro, but it's a pretty cool song. No regrets about 99 Luftballoons getting my vote though.
I just find it strange (and interesting) that certain songs are massive worldwide hits but do zilch in America, there's loads of them. It's like the musical equivalent of the soccer World Cup. I just checked and it went top ten in at least 20 countries, and number one in quite a few. So maybe it's easier for those of us who heard it growing up to have it as this cultural touchstone. I really can understand how without that attachment some people might be wondering why it is so highly rated.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 6:39pm
matedog wrote:
I just find it strange (and interesting) that certain songs are massive worldwide hits but do zilch in America, there's loads of them. It's like the musical equivalent of the soccer World Cup. I just checked and it went top ten in at least 20 countries, and number one in quite a few. So maybe it's easier for those of us who heard it growing up to have it as this cultural touchstone. I really can understand how without that attachment some people might be wondering why it is so highly rated.
Honestly, the better way of approaching things is that the mid to late 60s and the early MTV 80s were the only time there was reliable crossover between the UK and North America. It takes a serious superstar to crossover any other time.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 7:30pm
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
Honestly, the better way of approaching things is that the mid to late 60s and the early MTV 80s were the only time there was reliable crossover between the UK and North America. It takes a serious superstar to crossover any other time.
MTV only highlighted the worst!!!!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 7:40pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
MTV only highlighted the worst!!!!
Arguably, MTV broke the Clash mainstream.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

101Walterton wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 7:40pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
IMCT only highlighted the worst!!!!

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
the mid to late 60s and the early MTV 80s were the only time there was reliable crossover between the UK and North America
Ironically my two favourite eras of music. Does this mean I'm American?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 8:07pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
the mid to late 60s and the early MTV 80s were the only time there was reliable crossover between the UK and North America
Ironically my two favourite eras of music. Does this mean I'm American?
Not with that fucking diet.