A threat is just a bribe that maintains the status quo
My indifference isn't wavering.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: The Ultimate Women's Album - Side 1 Track 6 Vote - Round 3

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
12 Aug 2020, 6:34pm
Anyone want to try and convince me one way or the other?
I've done my bit. I will say 99 Luftballoons is the type of song you usually despise with relish. If in doubt go for the best looking lady.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
12 Aug 2020, 6:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Aug 2020, 6:27pm
Wait a second—SM claimed her has his friend. Which is it? Everyone knows women can only have, at most, one male friend unless she's a hooker.
Christine told me that she think Maj smells.
Okay, so she's sane.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

In my heart of hearts, I want revbob to listen to both songs and sincerely conclude that he hates them both equally, and so forfeits his vote on principle. It would be peak revbob.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

Flex wrote:
12 Aug 2020, 6:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Aug 2020, 5:52pm
Well, after Round 2, we were at 9-9-2-2 and we're currently at 11-11. So, assuming that accounts for all the Round 2 voters, unless we have a new voter show up, ready your arguments for me.
kate bush is a figure of david bowie-esque artistic merit and I can only recommend my friend Christine's writing about the song to argue for it: https://katebushsongs.wordpress.com/201 ... g-heights/
I've just read that and it is brilliantly written. Pretty much sums up everything I think about the record. I mentioned the chords and time signature earlier but it's summed up well in this quote below. There's a bit of musical jargon but spot on in its observations...
The song appears to begin in A major but quickly reveals itself to be in F sharp minor, a conspicuous choice of key change signaled by the two keys’ use of three sharps, creating a fascinating mix of tension and uplift. As Cathy experiences her “bad dreams in the night,” the song creeps into B flat minor, before explosively modulating into D flat major for the chorus. While these key changes dazzle, the time signature is just as malleable. The first verse moves forward in 4/4 while the pre-chorus dips into 2/4, before the chorus pulls a series of time signature shifts from 4/4 (“it’s me, Cathy”) to 3/4 (“I’m so cold”) down to 2/4 (“let me in-a your window”) before settling on 3/4 for “window.” The second verse then slows down to 2/4, the time signature of the pre-chorus which is retained for the bridge. The chorus repeats and the outro carries on in 4/4, led by Iain Bairnson’s legendary guitar solo. There’s not a bum note in “Wuthering Heights.” As a song, it’s a masterpiece.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
12 Aug 2020, 7:02pm
revbob wrote:
12 Aug 2020, 6:34pm
Anyone want to try and convince me one way or the other?
I've done my bit. I will say 99 Luftballoons is the type of song you usually despise with relish. If in doubt go for the best looking lady.
99 is an ok song, could have been better without that crappy 80s esthetic and I don't usually like to dismiss artists as 1 hit wonders because beyond that one or two hits is where the interesting stuff usually lies (for me). But i also have no inkling to do a deeper dive to see what else she has done.

Id never listened to KB until recently. The voice is a bit off putting, at least initially.

If it were to come down to looks, back in high school I thought Nena was pretty but needed a shave. High school was long ago though and you cant go back. Kate Bush is certainly pretty in that video, I looked her up and there's a bunch of pics with her in 80s workout attire like she was Jane Fonda's protege.

Still undecided...

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Aug 2020, 7:18pm
In my heart of hearts, I want revbob to listen to both songs and sincerely conclude that he hates them both equally, and so forfeits his vote on principle. It would be peak revbob.
Well this is the newish me hopped up on happy pills endeavoring to be the best me I can be, or that big pharma can produce.

Heston

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
12 Aug 2020, 7:31pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Well this is the newish me hopped up on happy pills endeavoring to be the best me I can be, or that big pharma can produce.
You should avoid cold war songs Is my advice there.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Damn you, chemicals!

I'm reminded of a story a friend told me long ago. He took a year off from classes and bummed around the UK, in the late 80s, early 90s. He watched an episode of Jukebox Jury, a music show where various music people rated new videos. This episode involved Black Francis and the video was by some boy band kind of singer. They play the video and go to the panel and BF says, "I can't rate this. It's complete shit." Then the evening's special guest comes out—the guy from the video. BF all but falls out of his chair laughing.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Aug 2020, 7:46pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Damn you, chemicals!

I'm reminded of a story a friend told me long ago. He took a year off from classes and bummed around the UK, in the late 80s, early 90s. He watched an episode of Jukebox Jury, a music show where various music people rated new videos. This episode involved Black Francis and the video was by some boy band kind of singer. They play the video and go to the panel and BF says, "I can't rate this. It's complete shit." Then the evening's special guest comes out—the guy from the video. BF all but falls out of his chair laughing.
Haha. A similar episode occurred with BAD on a kids' show called "Saturday Superstore" in the 80s. Some young cub scout slagged a BAD video off then Don Letts marched on from behind a screen and started berating the startled young man.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
12 Aug 2020, 7:54pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Damn you, chemicals!

Haha. A similar episode occurred with BAD on a kids' show called "Saturday Superstore" in the 80s. Some young cub scout slagged a BAD video off then Don Letts marched on from behind a screen and started berating the startled young man.
The high point of that guy's life.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

The real twist: Christine is MY friend.

I don’t care either way, but 99 is a catchier tune to me.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
12 Aug 2020, 8:10pm
The real twist: Christine is MY friend.
How do you smell, relative to SM and Flex?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
12 Aug 2020, 7:54pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Damn you, chemicals!

I dont know what video it was but in the kids defense...