Pets.

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Pets.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 7:40am
A question for those with old cats: what behaviors did you start noticing that were different from when they were a little younger?

Mine are 12. While I know Licorice has a kidney issue and has always been high maintenance, her behavior hasn't alarmed me. Butters has always been lazy and healthy but now I can't tell if he's sick, stressed because of a recent event (flooded basement) or if he's just getting older.
It's tough because cats are really good at disguising poor health (given that they sleep 23 hours a day even when they're healthy kinda helps). Food, water, and litter box issues are the big clues, as well as grooming. If those things are off, those are the clues to follow up on.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 8:38am
Mimi wrote:
A question for those with old cats: what behaviors did you start noticing that were different from when they were a little younger?

Mine are 12. While I know Licorice has a kidney issue and has always been high maintenance, her behavior hasn't alarmed me. Butters has always been lazy and healthy but now I can't tell if he's sick, stressed because of a recent event (flooded basement) or if he's just getting older.
It's tough because cats are really good at disguising poor health (given that they sleep 23 hours a day even when they're healthy kinda helps). Food, water, and litter box issues are the big clues, as well as grooming. If those things are off, those are the clues to follow up on.
When he's stressed about something, he doesn't eat, but everything else seems to be okay. He just seems different.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 9:11am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:

When he's stressed about something, he doesn't eat, but everything else seems to be okay. He just seems different.
Water is more important than food, so I wouldn't be overly alarmed. But if it persists, of course, go to a vet. Also: Is he willing to be social with you? If he really wants to be alone, that could be evidence that he's hiding something.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 10:27am
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Water is more important than food, so I wouldn't be overly alarmed. But if it persists, of course, go to a vet. Also: Is he willing to be social with you? If he really wants to be alone, that could be evidence that he's hiding something.
Yeah, he loves me, so that hasn't changed. The earliest vet appt is 9-11. Thanks, covid!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 10:30am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Yeah, he loves me, so that hasn't changed. The earliest vet appt is 9-11. Thanks, covid!
I suspect he's fine if his appetite is the only thing that's off, especially when you can pinpoint a stressful event.

Speaking of, we had a neighbourhood cat pop up on the front porch this morning, which sent everyone into red alert panic. Zoë howled like she had to vomit, Luke and Charlotte started swatting at each other, everyone's tail went puffy. Outside cat just hung around and yawned. Dignity would be wasted on these three.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 12:03pm
Mimi wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 10:30am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I suspect he's fine if his appetite is the only thing that's off, especially when you can pinpoint a stressful event.

Speaking of, we had a neighbourhood cat pop up on the front porch this morning, which sent everyone into red alert panic. Zoë howled like she had to vomit, Luke and Charlotte started swatting at each other, everyone's tail went puffy. Outside cat just hung around and yawned. Dignity would be wasted on these three.
Hahaha I love when there's a cat outside. It's like Xmas morning for them.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

This account is so funny.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

So, it looks like we will be getting Guinae pigs soon. Wish me luck.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

JennyB wrote:
17 Aug 2020, 10:37am
They're adorable, especially that little squeal that they do.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Mimi wrote:
17 Aug 2020, 10:38am
JennyB wrote:
17 Aug 2020, 10:37am
They're adorable, especially that little squeal that they do.
They really are. Since Ari's hamster died, he has been begging us to get a hardier pet. I told him to do some research. For awhile, he was interested in lizards, but they seem super difficult to care for. Then we ended up watching his friend's Guinae pig for a week and he fell in love. He did a great job taking care of him by himself, too. The Humane Society seems to have them on a regular basis, so we are going to order the cage and get everything set up before adopting two of them (they do better in pairs, evidently). The cage setups are something to behold.
Got a Rake? Sure!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Well, looks like I am officially certifiable. I just ordered this cage for the future Guinea Pigs.
Attachments
Pig.PNG
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
17 Aug 2020, 12:56pm
Well, looks like I am officially certifiable. I just ordered this cage for the future Guinea Pigs.
You do know that those things are designed to control your rodents and turn them into government agents, right

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

JennyB wrote:
Love it.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Aug 2020, 1:15pm
JennyB wrote:
You do know that those things are designed to control your rodents and turn them into government agents, right
Yes. Yes I do.
Got a Rake? Sure!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Mimi wrote:
17 Aug 2020, 2:23pm
JennyB wrote:
Love it.
:mrgreen:
Got a Rake? Sure!