Middle age health thread for fatties

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
101Walterton
The Best

Re: Middle age health thread for fatties

Post by 101Walterton »

BitterTom wrote:
22 Jul 2020, 5:18pm
101Walterton wrote:
22 Jul 2020, 5:09pm
BitterTom wrote:
22 Jul 2020, 5:06pm
101Walterton wrote:
22 Jul 2020, 5:03pm
BitterTom wrote:
22 Jul 2020, 5:02pm

It's used by myself and many ex smokers to still take in the nicotine but not the other crap of cigs. However it seems to be a 'trend' amongst the teenagers to just take up vaping.
So do you still get that nicotine hit?
Yeah but no smoke and carbon monoxide.
So all the young kids that take up vaping having never smoked do they take nicotine as well?
Yep. It's meant to be a way of taking you off cigs, and it works though it's become popular amongst non smokers.
So it still creates a whole load of young nicotine addicts for no reason.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

101Walterton wrote:
22 Jul 2020, 5:46pm
BitterTom wrote:
22 Jul 2020, 5:18pm
101Walterton wrote:
22 Jul 2020, 5:09pm
BitterTom wrote:
22 Jul 2020, 5:06pm
101Walterton wrote:
22 Jul 2020, 5:03pm

So do you still get that nicotine hit?
Yeah but no smoke and carbon monoxide.
So all the young kids that take up vaping having never smoked do they take nicotine as well?
Yep. It's meant to be a way of taking you off cigs, and it works though it's become popular amongst non smokers.
So it still creates a whole load of young nicotine addicts for no reason.
The worst part is that they don't even get the joy of smoking!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I just got word that my covid-delayed cataract surgery finally has a date. Third week of September I get my basically blind eye done and three months later they do my rapidly weakening other eye. My relief is intense as I've been worrying more and more about teaching this fall with fading vision.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Aug 2020, 3:08pm
I just got word that my covid-delayed cataract surgery finally has a date. Third week of September I get my basically blind eye done and three months later they do my rapidly weakening other eye. My relief is intense as I've been worrying more and more about teaching this fall with fading vision.
Hello,

I hope your cataract surgery goes as well as mine. It was very easy (in at 6:00 am, back to work by lunchtime) and my eyes are now 20/20 - previously I was very contact lens dependent.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
17 Aug 2020, 4:18pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hello,

I hope your cataract surgery goes as well as mine. It was very easy (in at 6:00 am, back to work by lunchtime) and my eyes are now 20/20 - previously I was very contact lens dependent.
Thanks! Everybody says it's super quick and easy and the effect is like a miracle. My optometrist said I'll still need reading glasses, but I'm used to them now. It's telling that my vision is so bad that I've lost any anxiety about having the slice off and replace the lens.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Aug 2020, 4:24pm
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hello,

Thanks! Everybody says it's super quick and easy and the effect is like a miracle. My optometrist said I'll still need reading glasses, but I'm used to them now. It's telling that my vision is so bad that I've lost any anxiety about having the slice off and replace the lens.
Hello,

I need reading glasses now - previously I didn't - but the change in not needing contacts for everyday life (and sports) was great!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
17 Aug 2020, 4:30pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hello,

Hello,

I need reading glasses now - previously I didn't - but the change in not needing contacts for everyday life (and sports) was great!
It's been humbling, the past eighteen months, because my vision has always been better than 20/20 (30/20 or 20/30, whichever order it goes). Then suddenly one eye and then the next went to fuck, and I'm buying reading glasses with higher and higher power and blowing up text on the screen. Just getting to average will feel like a death row pardon.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Aug 2020, 4:53pm
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hello,

Hello,

It's been humbling, the past eighteen months, because my vision has always been better than 20/20 (30/20 or 20/30, whichever order it goes). Then suddenly one eye and then the next went to fuck, and I'm buying reading glasses with higher and higher power and blowing up text on the screen. Just getting to average will feel like a death row pardon.
Umm this sounds like me. My younger coworkers laugh when they see my phone because Ive made the font so big. Its been easily 7 years since I went to an eye doc. I probably should change that.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
17 Aug 2020, 5:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
gkbill wrote:

Hello,

Hello,

Umm this sounds like me. My younger coworkers laugh when they see my phone because Ive made the font so big. Its been easily 7 years since I went to an eye doc. I probably should change that.
One of the reasons why I switched from mouse to trackpad on my desktop Mac is so I can use the finger gesture of resizing documents. Seriously, I resize my pdf's to around 48pt and my Word windows are always at around 225%. There are books I have that I have to scan first before I can read them. IT's been fucking miserable.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Aug 2020, 5:24pm
revbob wrote:
17 Aug 2020, 5:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Hello,

One of the reasons why I switched from mouse to trackpad on my desktop Mac is so I can use the finger gesture of resizing documents. Seriously, I resize my pdf's to around 48pt and my Word windows are always at around 225%. There are books I have that I have to scan first before I can read them. IT's been fucking miserable.
Really pleased to hear that a miserable time will soon be ending.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 4:42am
Thanks, man! It's like counting down to Christmas for me now.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 6:53am
Silent Majority wrote:
So explain the process if you would.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 7:41am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
gkbill's in a better position to describe, having gone thru it, but the basics as I understand it are that they remove the lens, which is contaminated with crap that makes my vision in that eye one big blur—like looking thru those translucent glass bricks used in some construction—and then pop in a plastic one. All done in like 30 seconds. That new lens, however, can't resize like the natural one, so one eye will be set to middle distance and the other to long distance. Which means needing glasses for short distance, like reading. What I've heard is that the dope you're given before the surgery relieves you of the anxiety of having your fucking eye sliced up. Cos that freaks me the fuck out (I could never watch the Boss put in or take out contacts). But I've been dealing with this for over a year and half now, so any anxiety is more than balanced by how frustrating it all is.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Yeah, glad to hear you can get this quality of life thing done, doc. Your daily miseries should be more aesthetic and less physical.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 8:31am
revbob wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 7:41am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
gkbill's in a better position to describe, having gone thru it, but the basics as I understand it are that they remove the lens, which is contaminated with crap that makes my vision in that eye one big blur—like looking thru those translucent glass bricks used in some construction—and then pop in a plastic one. All done in like 30 seconds. That new lens, however, can't resize like the natural one, so one eye will be set to middle distance and the other to long distance. Which means needing glasses for short distance, like reading. What I've heard is that the dope you're given before the surgery relieves you of the anxiety of having your fucking eye sliced up. Cos that freaks me the fuck out (I could never watch the Boss put in or take out contacts). But I've been dealing with this for over a year and half now, so any anxiety is more than balanced by how frustrating it all is.
Hello,

I've not got much to add. You're awake for the process but obviously the eye will be numbed. Recovery is very quick. I was in at 6:00 am, surgery around 7:30 am, exited with an eye shield (no eye patch so no pirate jokes), took the shield off at noon, and my eye was 20/20 - no contacts needed! I had to sleep with the shield to prohibit scratching or damaging the eye while asleep. I returned the next day to have my eye checked to see if there were any issues. After a few nights with the shield, the shield was no longer necessary. I was still wearing one contact in the other eye. After a few days, I noticed I needed reading glasses. I went back after one week for a check and the nurse asked "How's the other eye?". I said "Fine." She asked "Don't you have some fogginess, especially at night?". I replied "No." She asked again "Are you sure you don't have any fogginess in the other eye, like a cataract is beginning?". I caught on "Yeah, it does get foggy at night." Long story short, my insurance covered that eye as well (each eye was ~$135). Cataract gone, lasix surgery in both eyes for ~$270 total - fantastic!