Middle age health thread for fatties

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Middle age health thread for fatties

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 9:20am
Yeah, glad to hear you can get this quality of life thing done, doc. Your daily miseries should be more aesthetic and less physical.
If I lose my aesthetic miseries, someone's gonna pay …
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 9:23am
Hello,

I've not got much to add. You're awake for the process but obviously the eye will be numbed. Recovery is very quick. I was in at 6:00 am, surgery around 7:30 am, exited with an eye shield (no eye patch so no pirate jokes)
Interesting. I assumed I'd be doing a class or two as Long John Silver. I actually have a few eyepatches around the house because sometimes it's easier to read when blocking out the really bad eye.
I went back after one week for a check and the nurse asked "How's the other eye?". I said "Fine." She asked "Don't you have some fogginess, especially at night?". I replied "No." She asked again "Are you sure you don't have any fogginess in the other eye, like a cataract is beginning?". I caught on "Yeah, it does get foggy at night." Long story short, my insurance covered that eye as well (each eye was ~$135). Cataract gone, lasix surgery in both eyes for ~$270 total - fantastic!
Tho I don't have any serious blurring—just weakness—in my left eye, the doctor said there's a cataract developing in that one, too, so they're taking care of it in December, before things get bad.

I realized a few months ago that I've never had any kind of surgery before, never relied on medicare like that. So as the delays mounted, I started wondering if I'd have to investigate the private clinic route, which would mean paying out of pocket. Which, sure, I would if necessary, but I was kinda looking forward to finally taking advantage of the Canadian health care system like that. I do have to pay to get my eyes measured this Wednesday. One way is free, a more precise version with a laser is $250, so I'm opting for the pay version. But that's the extent of my costs.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 8:31am
revbob wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 7:41am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 6:53am
Silent Majority wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 4:42am
Really pleased to hear that a miserable time will soon be ending.
Thanks, man! It's like counting down to Christmas for me now.
So explain the process if you would.
gkbill's in a better position to describe, having gone thru it, but the basics as I understand it are that they remove the lens, which is contaminated with crap that makes my vision in that eye one big blur—like looking thru those translucent glass bricks used in some construction—and then pop in a plastic one. All done in like 30 seconds. That new lens, however, can't resize like the natural one, so one eye will be set to middle distance and the other to long distance. Which means needing glasses for short distance, like reading. What I've heard is that the dope you're given before the surgery relieves you of the anxiety of having your fucking eye sliced up. Cos that freaks me the fuck out (I could never watch the Boss put in or take out contacts). But I've been dealing with this for over a year and half now, so any anxiety is more than balanced by how frustrating it all is.
Hmm, your situation sounds pretty serious. I really just need readers my regular vision is good. I can see caterpillars crossing the road while driving.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Hope it goes well, Doc. It will be such a relief, I imagine. And you can have fun with reading glasses.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 9:46am
Hmm, your situation sounds pretty serious. I really just need readers my regular vision is good. I can see caterpillars crossing the road while driving.
That used to be me. :cry:
JennyB wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 10:48am
Hope it goes well, Doc. It will be such a relief, I imagine. And you can have fun with reading glasses.
The Boss says I look good with glasses, so it's not completely bad. And getting a pair with decent frames will be preferable to the generics I've been using (it didn't make sense to invest in proper reading glasses from my optometrist until after the siurgeries).

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Good luck, Doc!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

I'm gonna need glasses before much longer. I'll probably look like fucking Andy Partridge.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 9:37am

Tho I don't have any serious blurring—just weakness—in my left eye, the doctor said there's a cataract developing in that one, too, so they're taking care of it in December, before things get bad.

I realized a few months ago that I've never had any kind of surgery before, never relied on medicare like that. So as the delays mounted, I started wondering if I'd have to investigate the private clinic route, which would mean paying out of pocket. Which, sure, I would if necessary, but I was kinda looking forward to finally taking advantage of the Canadian health care system like that. I do have to pay to get my eyes measured this Wednesday. One way is free, a more precise version with a laser is $250, so I'm opting for the pay version. But that's the extent of my costs.
My auntie had her cataracts zapped a few years ago and claims the week after was a damn near religious experience. SHe can see great now and has taken up bird watching.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 11:49am
I'm gonna need glasses before much longer. I'll probably look like fucking Andy Partridge.
A partridge in a pear tree more like. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 11:05am
revbob wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 9:46am
That used to be me. :cry:
JennyB wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 10:48am
The Boss says I look good with glasses, so it's not completely bad. And getting a pair with decent frames will be preferable to the generics I've been using (it didn't make sense to invest in proper reading glasses from my optometrist until after the siurgeries).
Good luck mate. I had my retina reattached a couple of years back it wasn't so bad. Got a cataract forming there now so getting regular eye checks.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 2:38pm
My auntie had her cataracts zapped a few years ago and claims the week after was a damn near religious experience. SHe can see great now and has taken up bird watching.
I hear that over and over and can now understand it. Getting progressively worse, week after week, and then suddenly clarity—that should feel miraculous.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 2:42pm
I had my retina reattached a couple of years back it wasn't so bad. Got a cataract forming there now so getting regular eye checks.
Jeebus, how do they do that kind surgery?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 2:45pm
Marky Dread wrote:
I had my retina reattached a couple of years back it wasn't so bad. Got a cataract forming there now so getting regular eye checks.
Laser stuff. I was wheeled in then laid down. They offered me a mild sedative which I refused. They cover your face just exposing the eye. The surgeon I had spoke to me all the way through and asked me how it was feeling. At one point it did get a bit sore. Like a tugging pain is how I described it. I guess that was the point the laser was working on the reattatchnent.

Afterwards they ask you to keep your head down (forward) to help drain any fluid. You need to sleep upright for a few days after the op. And use a fluid to rinse the eye for about a week or so.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 3:14pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Laser stuff. I was wheeled in then laid down. They offered me a mild sedative which I refused. They cover your face just exposing the eye. The surgeon I had spoke to me all the way through and asked me how it was feeling. At one point it did get a bit sore. Like a tugging pain is how I described it. I guess that was the point the laser was working on the reattatchnent.

Afterwards they ask you to keep your head down (forward) to help drain any fluid. You need to sleep upright for a few days after the op. And use a fluid to rinse the eye for about a week or so.
That sounds … horrible (remembering that I'm a big baby). The only reason I'd refuse a mild sedative would be to argue for something stronger.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 3:21pm
Marky Dread wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 3:14pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

That sounds … horrible (remembering that I'm a big baby). The only reason I'd refuse a mild sedative would be to argue for something stronger.
Now you're speaking my language.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc