A Song For Joe

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
msza2
Junco Partner

Re: A Song For Joe

Post by msza2 »

This has been really fun to watch back! I had never heard of Jesse Dayton, but his version of Janie Jones is probably my favorite of the lot. The Interrupters' Get Down Moses is cool, too.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

msza2 wrote:
23 Aug 2020, 4:09pm
This has been really fun to watch back! I had never heard of Jesse Dayton, but his version of Janie Jones is probably my favorite of the lot. The Interrupters' Get Down Moses is cool, too.
Yeah, that version of Janie Jones was my favourite along with White Man by Frank Turner. I'm watching it again now and I'm liking Washington Bullets on second listen.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

On second watch I think Police and Thieves by the bloke from the Strokes is the worst thing on it. It is dreadful.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Didnt know that was joes stepdaughter, that was a really nice version of a gem of a track thats too easy to forget about sometimes.

That Straight to Hell is really doing it for me, cant get enough of it, kudos to the band for obviously investing some time and effort into it. Also, need to see more of that rather brilliant meskies concert footage.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Low Down Low wrote:
23 Aug 2020, 6:25pm
Didnt know that was joes stepdaughter, that was a really nice version of a gem of a track thats too easy to forget about sometimes.

That Straight to Hell is really doing it for me, cant get enough of it, kudos to the band for obviously investing some time and effort into it. Also, need to see more of that rather brilliant meskies concert footage.
Yeah, that was a pretty great Police On My Back. Footage like this should be out there in its entirety, not sitting in a vault. Yet again we get the old "discovered in an attic" shtick. More please Don.

I really like that Straight To Hell more on second listen. A really great vocal and some lovely guitar work.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Heston wrote:
23 Aug 2020, 6:49pm
Low Down Low wrote:
23 Aug 2020, 6:25pm

Yeah, that was a pretty great Police On My Back. Footage like this should be out there in its entirety, not sitting in a vault. Yet again we get the old "discovered in an attic" shtick. More please Don.

I really like that Straight To Hell more on second listen. A really great vocal and some lovely guitar work.
I never compare them because it was different eras and different vibe, but the meskies really did rock out those clash tunes. That POMB is one of best I've heard.

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

Heston wrote:
23 Aug 2020, 4:49pm
msza2 wrote:
Yeah, that version of Janie Jones was my favourite along with White Man by Frank Turner. I'm watching it again now and I'm liking Washington Bullets on second listen.
Agreed on Washington Bullets, too. You can really hear the quality of that tune in such a stripped down version.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Wolter wrote:
21 Aug 2020, 3:18pm
I’m shocked that I genuinely like the Tweedy cover.
Just watched this. Its great source material right. I thought it was kind of cool to hear an acoustic version.

crashtheparty
Dirty Punk

Post by crashtheparty »

msza2 wrote:
I was sure Jesse Dayton was going to do Bankrobber as it’s on his new album but Janie Jones was great. Check it out here:

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Haven't seen all of it yet. Ive mostly enjoyed it the QOTSA was bad as was pointed out earlier.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

revbob wrote:
27 Aug 2020, 5:43pm
Haven't seen all of it yet. Ive mostly enjoyed it the QOTSA was bad as was pointed out earlier.
I sort of like the Queens of the Stone Age. They looked to be very high on cocaine.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Finally watching this. It's fun. The less serious covers are the most fun in my opinion.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
12 Sep 2020, 7:08pm
revbob wrote:
27 Aug 2020, 5:43pm
I sort of like the Queens of the Stone Age. They looked to be very high on cocaine.
Yeah certainly something.