The Election Thread To Talk About The Election

Politics and other such topical creams.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Election Thread To Talk About The Election

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

I'm starting to have the beginnings of a spark of hope that the Electoral College won't just hand this to Trump on a plate. Whatever you think of Biden (that his brain is deteriorating, that he'll continue to exacerbate the conditions that gave rise to Trump and lead QAnon to replace the Republican Party in full, that he doesn't care about the climate catastrophe that will kill the younger of us) he's the right one to vote for.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Silent Majority wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 9:44am
I'm starting to have the beginnings of a spark of hope that the Electoral College won't just hand this to Trump on a plate. Whatever you think of Biden (that his brain is deteriorating, that he'll continue to exacerbate the conditions that gave rise to Trump and lead QAnon to replace the Republican Party in full, that he doesn't care about the climate catastrophe that will kill the younger of us) he's the right one to vote for.
I know two Trump people who I don't think are voting for him this time around (Father in Law, my dad/stepmom so I guess three). Dad and stepmom are in North Carolina, so I'm going to do what I can do make them vote the right way. As awful is Biden is, he does appear to be a safe pick for older types of which always have big turnout.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I posted a few days back in, I think, the Trump thread, that there's a fear amongst Republicans that Trump's anti-mail spluttering will hurt them more than Democrats. Republicans far more than Democrats believe that mail voting is now fraudulent, so they won't go that route, but their base is also much older and is, with good reason, more scared of voting in person because they might get infected.

I've maintained for months, even years, that because Trump's win in 2016 was a fluke, recreating it would be difficult, especially when he has not used the office to expand his base, as all other presidents have done. If he "wins," it'll be because the Democrat vote doesn't turn out—unlikely, if 2018 is a measure of enthusiasm—or fraudulent means. Which is a legit serious worry.

But, yeah, Biden is awful, but I'm not sure it's hyperbolic to suggest that if he doesn't win, Americans won't be having presidential elections going forward. Sitting this one out doesn't make sense to me.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I know plenty of older conservative types who are not afraid to go and vote. They truly dont believe it is a serious risk.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

I'm not voting for Biden; I'm voting for Harris.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Mimi wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 11:00am
Same. And I'm voting for SCOTUS.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Mimi wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 11:00am
I'm voting to shut down Trump.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Living in a red state, they are doing all they can to suppress the vote. They have made it very confusing to differentiate between mail in and absentee ballots. Only those who are at greater risk for COVID or are permanently disabled can submit an absentee ballot without notarization. All mail in ballots must be notarized. I co-spearheaded an effort to notarize ballots for our August primary and we notarized over 500 ballots. But it's a total shitshow and we shouldn't have to go to these lengths.
Got a Rake? Sure!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

JennyB wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 11:46am
Living in a red state, they are doing all they can to suppress the vote. They have made it very confusing to differentiate between mail in and absentee ballots. Only those who are at greater risk for COVID or are permanently disabled can submit an absentee ballot without notarization. All mail in ballots must be notarized. I co-spearheaded an effort to notarize ballots for our August primary and we notarized over 500 ballots. But it's a total shitshow and we shouldn't have to go to these lengths.
Sounds like you are fighting the good fight, JB. That's awesome. That's insane though that they are requiring notarization.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

JennyB wrote:
Same in Wisconsin, especially because they know we're a key swing state.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 10:10am
But, yeah, Biden is awful, but I'm not sure it's hyperbolic to suggest that if he doesn't win, Americans won't be having presidential elections going forward. Sitting this one out doesn't make sense to me.
golden opportunity if you're an accelerationist tho
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 12:42pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 10:10am
golden opportunity if you're an accelerationist tho
That kind of rationale strikes me as the kissing cousin of disaster capitalism. If the left isn't more humane, its appeal evaporates.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

matedog wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 12:02pm
JennyB wrote:
Sounds like you are fighting the good fight, JB. That's awesome. That's insane though that they are requiring notarization.
Yep. Totally insane. Even though it's free of charge, I still feel like it's a poll tax. And making people find a notary during a pandemic - it's astonishing.
Got a Rake? Sure!

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

America is just too stupid to survive.