Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Post by Silent Majority »

Heston wrote:
17 Aug 2020, 3:47pm
Catching up on the tea talk. I hate tea, it just has a taste I don't like. Been a coffee man since I was 13. I also can't fathom why cockneys have this obsession with it. Do they have different taste buds to the rest of the country?
I'm much more about coffee than tea - maybe have a tea once every two months.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

All this talk of tea reminds me i haven't had a cup of Earl Grey in years and i always liked Earl Grey. Regular breakfast is fine but a bit bland, an excuse to indulge in some chocolate or cake.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

It's the end of an era of resistance for me. I got a cellphone today. Never needed one because I rarely talk to anyone (even less since my mother died; I talked to her every Sunday). But the university has initiated new security protocols because of ransom attacks on schools. This involves punching in a unique code sent to your phone every time you log onto a university account. If your phone is too old (like the Boss') or you don't have one (me), you could get a little device that receives the signal, but apparently they're much harder to use. So we went down to get the Boss a new phone and I grudgingly agreed to swap our landline for a phone for myself because the monthly bill won't be going up that much. Unless I switch my music over to it, I doubt I'll be using it much. So, yeah, there you go, the dream is over.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Aug 2020, 3:08pm
It's the end of an era of resistance for me. I got a cellphone today. Never needed one because I rarely talk to anyone (even less since my mother died; I talked to her every Sunday). But the university has initiated new security protocols because of ransom attacks on schools. This involves punching in a unique code sent to your phone every time you log onto a university account. If your phone is too old (like the Boss') or you don't have one (me), you could get a little device that receives the signal, but apparently they're much harder to use. So we went down to get the Boss a new phone and I grudgingly agreed to swap our landline for a phone for myself because the monthly bill won't be going up that much. Unless I switch my music over to it, I doubt I'll be using it much. So, yeah, there you go, the dream is over.
Good lord. I got made fun of a lot for not having a cell phone in 2003.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
25 Aug 2020, 3:15pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
First I got made fun of because my phone was too big, then I was made fun of because it was too small. Fuck everyone and everything.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
25 Aug 2020, 3:15pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Yeah, I know, everybody thinks I've been a political prisoner just out of the gulag when they find out I don't have a cell. But the number of times I was in a situation where I wish I had one is literally under five. It's not something I need and it's an extra expense. Yes, I can afford it and all that, but shelling out for something like that when I don't need it irks me. It makes sense for the Boss, but I just won't be using it much unless I find a proper wallet for it that holds all my cards. Then I can turn it into my new iPod. But it's a seriously meh thing for me.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

me and doc gonna become texting besties :cool: :cool:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Uh, sounds like a vpn token. The device is quite easy to use. I think organizations dont like to pay for them though and prefer that you use an app on your phone.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
25 Aug 2020, 4:00pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Uh, sounds like a vpn token. The device is quite easy to use. I think organizations dont like to pay for them though and prefer that you use an app on your phone.
MFA token, to be used with VPN software, yup. We've had VPN for a couple years now, to be used on a few internal sites, but now the whole hoo-ha is going VPN/MFA. The people I know who have already configured shit are divided between those using phones—it's easy!—and those using the token—what the fuck is wrong with the shit?! That's the main reason I agreed to get a phone. I don't need my technology to do amazing things, just to do basic ones without me looking to stalk and murder the person responsible for it not working.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Doc's phone:
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Flex wrote:
25 Aug 2020, 3:56pm
I agree with this post.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

JennyB wrote:
26 Aug 2020, 10:16am
Flex wrote:
I agree with this post.
Yeah lets pass that number around.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

So Ive been getting calls from the alien in predator lately. Sounds a lot like this

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
26 Aug 2020, 10:19am
JennyB wrote:
26 Aug 2020, 10:16am
Flex wrote:
I agree with this post.
Yeah lets pass that number around.
*snort* Like I'll look at the phone anymore than I do now.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Something that irritated me a little while following the reports/debates about the Kenosha shooting was the amount of German names I noticed. It appears to be a German American stronghold, Wisconsin.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?