No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Politics and other such topical creams.
BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Marky Dread wrote:
25 Aug 2020, 11:34am
WestwayKid wrote:
25 Aug 2020, 11:31am
Marky Dread wrote:
25 Aug 2020, 11:09am
WestwayKid wrote:
25 Aug 2020, 9:40am
We went to a peaceful protest in Kenosha last night. It was surreal. They had all the freeway exits closed from just south of Milwaukee all the way to the Illinois border. We were able to get off just before they closed our exit. The city center in Kenosha looked like a war zone. They had used garbage trucks to barricade the roads on Sunday night and rioters had set them on fire...so burned out trucks were all over the place. I counted at least 10. We saw several businesses that had burned down, including a used car lot. The county courthouse was covered in graffiti and everywhere you looked windows were boarded up. The police presence was very strong and very militaristic. They were all in riot gear, many armed with automatic rifles. The sheriff's department had a handful of armored personnel carriers and those cops were dressed in full military garb.

We stuck around for an hour and took part in a very well organized protest. It was very uplifting and peaceful, but then we got the heck out. All hell broke loose once the sun went down again.

A lot of white people are going nuts right now. My cousin (who lives in Kenosha) posted an ugly FB post. It was very pro-police and she called out the "radical left" and complained about all of the property damage. It was pretty gross. I snoozed her for now.

I've never felt the rage of 400 years of oppression. I've never felt the rage of trying to live within a system designed to crush me. I can't understand that level of rage and frustration and so I cannot cast judgement on it. I strongly support peaceful protests. I believe the best way to make change is to organize, unite, and vote...but this outpouring of rage is real and I get where it comes from, even if I cannot feel it.
The problem is many of those black people are carrying that weight around like a huge chip on their shoulders. I completely understand why they do also. But ultimately fighting hate with hate only leads to more hate.

There are never any winners when the last resort to violence breaks. You can burn down all the neighbourhoods and fight the police but you will not break the system.

I've been very guilty of fighting physically evil like the National Front. But kicking someone's head in won't make him less racist. Got to find another way and get people who care into power.
I agree. The violence also feeds a counter narrative that all protesters are a violent mob and I feel like that's the minority. We've had a lot of protests in Milwaukee this summer and the vast majority have been peaceful and well organized. They have helped bring the community together, but you turn on the news and it seems like all you see are burning garbage trucks and broken windows.
Yes the media are as much the enemy as anyone in this instance. Sensationalising the violence which in turn creates copy cat situations.

I understand where you guys are coming from but I have to disagree. There is a time for violence and that time is now. When people are systematically hunted and shot in the street you have to fight back. Perhaps there are more effective ways to use this violence and yes, it will feed a right wing narrative but this sort of injustice will not be cured by saying please.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
25 Aug 2020, 12:44pm
Marky Dread wrote:
25 Aug 2020, 11:34am
WestwayKid wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
We went to a peaceful protest in Kenosha last night. It was surreal. They had all the freeway exits closed from just south of Milwaukee all the way to the Illinois border. We were able to get off just before they closed our exit. The city center in Kenosha looked like a war zone. They had used garbage trucks to barricade the roads on Sunday night and rioters had set them on fire...so burned out trucks were all over the place. I counted at least 10. We saw several businesses that had burned down, including a used car lot. The county courthouse was covered in graffiti and everywhere you looked windows were boarded up. The police presence was very strong and very militaristic. They were all in riot gear, many armed with automatic rifles. The sheriff's department had a handful of armored personnel carriers and those cops were dressed in full military garb.

We stuck around for an hour and took part in a very well organized protest. It was very uplifting and peaceful, but then we got the heck out. All hell broke loose once the sun went down again.

A lot of white people are going nuts right now. My cousin (who lives in Kenosha) posted an ugly FB post. It was very pro-police and she called out the "radical left" and complained about all of the property damage. It was pretty gross. I snoozed her for now.

I've never felt the rage of 400 years of oppression. I've never felt the rage of trying to live within a system designed to crush me. I can't understand that level of rage and frustration and so I cannot cast judgement on it. I strongly support peaceful protests. I believe the best way to make change is to organize, unite, and vote...but this outpouring of rage is real and I get where it comes from, even if I cannot feel it.
The problem is many of those black people are carrying that weight around like a huge chip on their shoulders. I completely understand why they do also. But ultimately fighting hate with hate only leads to more hate.

There are never any winners when the last resort to violence breaks. You can burn down all the neighbourhoods and fight the police but you will not break the system.

I've been very guilty of fighting physically evil like the National Front. But kicking someone's head in won't make him less racist. Got to find another way and get people who care into power.
I agree. The violence also feeds a counter narrative that all protesters are a violent mob and I feel like that's the minority. We've had a lot of protests in Milwaukee this summer and the vast majority have been peaceful and well organized. They have helped bring the community together, but you turn on the news and it seems like all you see are burning garbage trucks and broken windows.
Yes the media are as much the enemy as anyone in this instance. Sensationalising the violence which in turn creates copy cat situations.

I understand where you guys are coming from but I have to disagree. There is a time for violence and that time is now. When people are systematically hunted and shot in the street you have to fight back. Perhaps there are more effective ways to use this violence and yes, it will feed a right wing narrative but this sort of injustice will not be cured by saying please.
Really a time for violence? People resorting to burning property and hurting others. That results in nothing but more misery. Violence, ignorance and stupidity all go hand in hand. Find another way people.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BostonBeaneater

Marky Dread wrote:
25 Aug 2020, 1:14pm

Really a time for violence? People resorting to burning property and hurting others. That results in nothing but more misery. Violence, ignorance and stupidity all go hand in hand. Find another way people.
When a population is hunted and murdered in the streets, yes to violence. Those who favor a police state only know that language. They must be made beaten and made afraid.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
25 Aug 2020, 1:43pm
Marky Dread wrote:

When a population is hunted and murdered in the streets, yes to violence. Those who favor a police state only know that language. They must be made beaten and made afraid.
It's not a population. A population is everybody.

Stand up and protest make your voices heard. The common man is the bus driver, the train driver, the nurse, the refuge collector. If one person gets hurt or killed in these protests it's one too many. Violence is understandable but never the answer. Your welcome to your point of view but you are wrong.

Ever been in a riot? Ever had the shit kicked out of you for something you believed strongly in? Broken nose? Stabbed? Seen your friend die? If not come back and tell when you have and then tell me violence is the answer.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

WestwayKid wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Did you get any sense while there that the violence was being carried out by proud boy shit stirrers in order to make the protests look bad, rather than the people that were there to actually protest? I've been reading a lot about that but one can't really trust anything they read anymore.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

BostonBeaneater

Marky Dread wrote:
25 Aug 2020, 1:55pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Stand up and protest make your voices heard. The common man is the bus driver, the train driver, the nurse, the refuge collector. If one person gets hurt or killed in these protests it's one too many. Violence is understandable but never the answer. Your welcome to your point of view but you are wrong.

Ever been in a riot? Ever had the shit kicked out of you for something you believed strongly in? Broken nose? Stabbed? Seen your friend die? If not come back and tell when you have and then tell me violence is the answer.
I've witnessed a riot but I have not had my ass kicked by the cops. My black friends have had their ass kicked by cops... endlessly and exhaustively. To their great credit they have tried every single avenue of peaceful protest and they still live in fear in this country. I have never seen a bully changes through reasonable discussion. They (police and their backers) must be made afraid and unsafe where ever they go. In other words, racists and their armed goon army should be made to feel the way they make others feel.

Look, I understand the perspective of violence as a last resort. I am just saying it is time for some last resorts. I'm 45 years old and have seem the police and surveillance state grow stronger and crueler. In my opinion that will not change until these people face consequences.

I'm not playing tough guy or promoting senseless violence. That said, you have to punch back. I'd love to hear about some magically peaceful solution but I have been waiting along time.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
25 Aug 2020, 2:23pm
Marky Dread wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I've witnessed a riot but I have not had my ass kicked by the cops. My black friends have had their ass kicked by cops... endlessly and exhaustively. To their great credit they have tried every single avenue of peaceful protest and they still live in fear in this country. I have never seen a bully changes through reasonable discussion. They (police and their backers) must be made afraid and unsafe where ever they go. In other words, racists and their armed goon army should be made to feel the way they make others feel.

Look, I understand the perspective of violence as a last resort. I am just saying it is time for some last resorts. I'm 45 years old and have seem the police and surveillance state grow stronger and crueler. In my opinion that will not change until these people face consequences.

I'm not playing tough guy or promoting senseless violence. That said, you have to punch back. I'd love to hear about some magically peaceful solution but I have been waiting along time.
I there ever was a simple answer then we would of had it by now. You can not stamp out racism just like you can't stamp out hatred. Am I saying sit down and give up, no never but you will achieve nothing with violence. It has never solved a single thing except to heap more misery on those that have already endured enough. Those in power want you to get angry they want you to fight. So they can have an excuse to keep you down. They want you to know they think you are stupid and violence just plays directly into their hands. You are all stupid morons who know no better than to riot or to go looting. It's the biggest con trick on the masses ever. People are falling for it time and time again.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Kory wrote:
25 Aug 2020, 2:06pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Did you get any sense while there that the violence was being carried out by proud boy shit stirrers in order to make the protests look bad, rather than the people that were there to actually protest? I've been reading a lot about that but one can't really trust anything they read anymore.
I did not, but then we got out of town before the sun went down.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

BostonBeaneater

Marky Dread wrote:
25 Aug 2020, 3:01pm

I there ever was a simple answer then we would of had it by now. You can not stamp out racism just like you can't stamp out hatred. Am I saying sit down and give up, no never but you will achieve nothing with violence. It has never solved a single thing except to heap more misery on those that have already endured enough. Those in power want you to get angry they want you to fight. So they can have an excuse to keep you down. They want you to know they think you are stupid and violence just plays directly into their hands. You are all stupid morons who know no better than to riot or to go looting. It's the biggest con trick on the masses ever. People are falling for it time and time again.
Alright then, If we're throwing insults around then you're a great big pussy who might as well just go lick some cops boots. I tried to illustrate a point and you have to go wet your pants over it. Peaceful protest, in my view and from what I have seen, doesn't work very often.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
25 Aug 2020, 8:33pm
Marky Dread wrote:

Alright then, If we're throwing insults around then you're a great big pussy who might as well just go lick some cops boots. I tried to illustrate a point and you have to go wet your pants over it. Peaceful protest, in my view and from what I have seen, doesn't work very often.
Oh boy did you read that wrong. I didnt insult anybody. That highlighted part is not my opinion of people but of those that are in power. Never mind you've lowered the conversation now.

As for me being a "great big pussy" seriously you wouldn't last 5 seconds with me. Yep you've illustrated things perfectly.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Let's settle things down and listen to some Swans, fellas? 😎

BostonBeaneater

Marky Dread wrote:
25 Aug 2020, 9:14pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Oh boy did you read that wrong. I didnt insult anybody. That highlighted part is not my opinion of people but of those that are in power. Never mind you've lowered the conversation now.

As for me being a "great big pussy" seriously you wouldn't last 5 seconds with me. Yep you've illustrated things perfectly.
Please, grow up. You started slinging the insults around. You can believe whatever you want. I just re-read your words and I think you're an asshole. You sound like a cop.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
25 Aug 2020, 10:52pm
Marky Dread wrote:
25 Aug 2020, 9:14pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Please, grow up. You started slinging the insults around. You can believe whatever you want. I just re-read your words and I think you're an asshole. You sound like a cop.
Think what you like I insulted no one. You're the only one here who insulted anybody.

So I sound like a cop? You've clearly lost the plot.

You took my comment out of context. It clearly says "Those in power". Then you called me a "pussy" "asshole" "sound like a cop".

You are the one who wants to act with "violence" funny coming from a guy who likes to post pictures of himself at the shooting range.

I'm done with you.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Marky Dread wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I don't necessarily agree with Mark's position on this, but I absolutely read the sentence that pushed the discussion into an argument as the opinion of the oppressor, not his own.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
26 Aug 2020, 6:20am
Marky Dread wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:

I don't necessarily agree with Mark's position on this, but I absolutely read the sentence that pushed the discussion into an argument as the opinion of the oppressor, not his own.
Thank you. My intention in this discussion was not to those people who are suffering day by day. My view is not that I consider them morons. But that is how they are being perceived to be in the hands of those who make the rules and hold the positions of power.

People can decide and act for themselves how they see fit. I respected Westway Kid who I was having the original conversation with for showing solidarity and protesting in a peaceful fashion.

Violence is certain to occur in these situations and with emotions running so high its totally understandable. But burning down the neighbourhoods you are living in is not the answer. Violence only adds to the fear factor of the already vulnerable people who live in those neighbourhoods. All I'm saying is rise above and find another solution. There's got to be a better way.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia