Coronavirus Thread of Doom

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: Coronavirus Thread of Doom

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Aug 2020, 3:46pm
Distressing if true, as it would suggest that the virus could be airborne for an hour.
https://time.com/5883081/covid-19-transmitted-aerosols/
yeah, I think I read scientists were leaning more and more to aerosol transmission, but this lays it out as well as possible. The actions at the end are illuminating: outdoors being safer than indoors has pretty much become received wisdom, but I think the advice that basically even when outdoor you need to be super tight on wearing masks and maintaining social distance is, if not exactly eye opening, a clearer message than I can remember hearing in a while. people have been getting really, really lax about it too from what i can see. Even if we're outdoors, having a 15 minute conversation with a stranger without a mask (or an improperly fitted one) seems like a recipe for trouble.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
26 Aug 2020, 4:27pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Distressing if true, as it would suggest that the virus could be airborne for an hour.
yeah, I think I read scientists were leaning more and more to aerosol transmission, but this lays it out as well as possible. The actions at the end are illuminating: outdoors being safer than indoors has pretty much become received wisdom, but I think the advice that basically even when outdoor you need to be super tight on wearing masks and maintaining social distance is, if not exactly eye opening, a clearer message than I can remember hearing in a while. people have been getting really, really lax about it too from what i can see. Even if we're outdoors, having a 15 minute conversation with a stranger without a mask (or an improperly fitted one) seems like a recipe for trouble.
I confess that when I'm outside, I don't wear a mask (tho I do keep good distance from people), basing it on the earlier assumption that the droplets don't stay airborne more than a few seconds. This seriously fucks with that assumption.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Aug 2020, 5:38pm
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I confess that when I'm outside, I don't wear a mask (tho I do keep good distance from people), basing it on the earlier assumption that the droplets don't stay airborne more than a few seconds. This seriously fucks with that assumption.
Now we know who else to blame.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
26 Aug 2020, 5:41pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I always hoped I could make a difference.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Aug 2020, 5:43pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Making Canada Mmmkay Again.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
26 Aug 2020, 5:57pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Aug 2020, 5:43pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:

Making Canada Mmmkay Again.
Whoa whoa, don't pressure me like that!

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Aug 2020, 6:31pm

I have a heavy duty mask for when I go into anywhere tight like a bodega or liquor store but otherwise I go with the gaiter. We've been hiking a lot to replace the gym and I wear a lightweight gaiter that I can yank up or down. I doubt it does anything but it does send a message. To the mostly old folk who are wearing a mask it says that I give a shit about whether they live or die. To the 55-65 year old entitle boomer douchebags who think they are somehow above performing a simple act for the greater good my face covering says, "fuck you, disease bag!".

To me, the mask thing has really become a barometer for people I deal with. If you are so far up your own ass that the simple act of covering your breath is an insurmountable inconvenience then I don't have time for you.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
26 Aug 2020, 6:56pm
To me, the mask thing has really become a barometer for people I deal with. If you are so far up your own ass that the simple act of covering your breath is an insurmountable inconvenience then I don't have time for you.
I've been quite self-aware about how much I judge (and fear being negatively judged) people on their pandemic "performance." It's something I don't like because I've made great efforts to be less judgmental (it's a learned family trait) but seeing people being oblivious about how they might affect others just gets my teeth grinding.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
11 Aug 2020, 8:12am
Rock band Smash Mouth performed to a packed crowd of hundreds during the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally.

No updates from Flex though?

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/08/11/ente ... index.html

I love that the Sioux said a giant fuck you to all the red neck bikers who thought they could just ride thru their territory.
https://www.punknews.org/article/73239/ ... d-19-cases

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Aug 2020, 6:08am
revbob wrote:
11 Aug 2020, 8:12am
Rock band Smash Mouth performed to a packed crowd of hundreds during the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally.

No updates from Flex though?

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/08/11/ente ... index.html

I love that the Sioux said a giant fuck you to all the red neck bikers who thought they could just ride thru their territory.
https://www.punknews.org/article/73239/ ... d-19-cases
I've always considered them an incredibly awful band because of their truly dreadful music, but now I also consider them just really lousy human beings.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I am asking myself if getting covid would be worth seeing smash mouth live. And the only answer I can come up with is "well, maybe if they just played their first album"
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Boddington
Junco Partner

Post by Boddington »

Flex wrote:
28 Aug 2020, 8:09am
I am asking myself if getting covid would be worth seeing smash mouth live. And the only answer I can come up with is "well, maybe if they just played their first album"
Hey now...

You're an all-star!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
28 Aug 2020, 8:09am
And I'm asking myself if getting Covid would be worth it as some kind of guarantee to never hear from Smash Mouth again. It's a lot closer than one might imagine.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Aug 2020, 7:02pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
I've been quite self-aware about how much I judge (and fear being negatively judged) people on their pandemic "performance." It's something I don't like because I've made great efforts to be less judgmental (it's a learned family trait) but seeing people being oblivious about how they might affect others just gets my teeth grinding.
Same. I was at Target the other day and a man was walking around smugly without a mask (which is against the county ordinance) and i shot him a dirty look. Unfortunately, that's all I did because there is a good possibility he also had a gun. And then yesterday, after I got out of my car at the grocery store, I realized I didn't have my mask on and was horrified that someone spotted me.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
28 Aug 2020, 10:29am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Aug 2020, 7:02pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Same. I was at Target the other day and a man was walking around smugly without a mask (which is against the county ordinance) and i shot him a dirty look. Unfortunately, that's all I did because there is a good possibility he also had a gun. And then yesterday, after I got out of my car at the grocery store, I realized I didn't have my mask on and was horrified that someone spotted me.
Big difference between Canada and the US in terms of handling public rage.