The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

General music discussion.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
23 Aug 2020, 8:30pm
Heston wrote:
23 Aug 2020, 8:12pm
101Walterton wrote:
23 Aug 2020, 8:09pm
Heston wrote:
23 Aug 2020, 7:53pm
Rev, post up an Interrupters top ten for me please. Just a list of songs will do, I will find them. I'm kind of getting on board with them after an odd song here and there but want to sample the best stuff first.
e

Seconded. I keep finding covers.
Check out Tiltle Holder and Give You Everything, the two strongest tracks I've heard so far.
She Got Arrested
Phantom City
The Prosecutor
Take Back the Power
Divide Us
Jenny Drinks
She's Kerosene
Fight the Good Fight
Be Gone
Liberty

Really hard to go wrong. They write catchy tunes.
I do like them but they're very smooth in places. Some of those choruses could be from the pop hits you tend to dislike. I don't see much difference between the chorus of "Give You Everything" and the Carly Rae Jepsen song we were talking about the other day.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

Thanks for the recommendations Rev, will check them out.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
23 Aug 2020, 8:44pm
revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:
23 Aug 2020, 7:53pm
Rev, post up an Interrupters top ten for me please. Just a list of songs will do, I will find them. I'm kind of getting on board with them after an odd song here and there but want to sample the best stuff first.
e

Check out Tiltle Holder and Give You Everything, the two strongest tracks I've heard so far.
She Got Arrested
Phantom City
The Prosecutor
Take Back the Power
Divide Us
Jenny Drinks
She's Kerosene
Fight the Good Fight
Be Gone
Liberty

I do like them but they're very smooth in places. Some of those choruses could be from the pop hits you tend to dislike. I don't see much difference between the chorus of "Give You Everything" and the Carly Rae Jepsen song we were talking about the other day.
Perhaps, but there is a big difference in execution.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

the interrupters are funny because i think they kinda started out as a manufactured hellcat band by tim armstrong but over the course of a few records they've developed a more organic chemistry. i've seen 'em 3-4 times so I liked them even when they were obviously just armstrong trying to make fetch happen, but it actually worked here.

Faux Addendum: That cover was magnificent.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

I've been following the Interrupters for a few years. I really like what they've done (the top ten list above is good but you really could try anything they've done thus far). My thoughts are a little along the lines above but wondering "Where do they go from here?". Is their sound going to evolve? To be honest, I don't mind if they continue in this vein but they really need good songwriting if they do so.

Heston

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
23 Aug 2020, 8:53pm
Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
e

She Got Arrested
Phantom City
The Prosecutor
Take Back the Power
Divide Us
Jenny Drinks
She's Kerosene
Fight the Good Fight
Be Gone
Liberty

I don't actually think the difference is that big myself. The chorus has a power pop sound that is very like a lot of modern chart stuff.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
24 Aug 2020, 2:52pm
revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:

She Got Arrested
Phantom City
The Prosecutor
Take Back the Power
Divide Us
Jenny Drinks
She's Kerosene
Fight the Good Fight
Be Gone
Liberty

I don't actually think the difference is that big myself. The chorus has a power pop sound that is very like a lot of modern chart stuff.
Well agree to disagree. I dont hate the Cally Jepsen song because its Cally Jepsen. I hate it because of the production/execution and Id have to listen again to see if there are other reasons. I mean seriously though you like something or you dont and sometimes for me (and others 101 metal racist) it goes beyond not liking. But the point being there may be elements of one song/artist that can be similar to another but that doesn't mean appreciation for both will carry (Kory knows cuz I give him shit about it from time to time). Like I can also hear similarities in Ramones songs and Beach Boys songs but I generally don't like the Beach Boys but love the Ramones. There's similarities but there are also differences and either one can be a dealbreaker.

Example of what I mean by production and execution. I cant listen to CRASS for the most part. Lyrically I think the songs are strong but production and execution to me are horrible. Jeffrey Lewis covered a bunch of CRASS songs in a stripped down folk format and I love it. Would listen to that over the original 100 out of 100 times.

Heston

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
24 Aug 2020, 3:44pm
Heston wrote:
24 Aug 2020, 2:52pm
revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:

She Got Arrested
Phantom City
The Prosecutor
Take Back the Power
Divide Us
Jenny Drinks
She's Kerosene
Fight the Good Fight
Be Gone
Liberty

Well agree to disagree. I dont hate the Cally Jepsen song because its Cally Jepsen. I hate it because of the production/execution and Id have to listen again to see if there are other reasons. I mean seriously though you like something or you dont and sometimes for me (and others 101 metal racist) it goes beyond not liking. But the point being there may be elements of one song/artist that can be similar to another but that doesn't mean appreciation for both will carry (Kory knows cuz I give him shit about it from time to time). Like I can also hear similarities in Ramones songs and Beach Boys songs but I generally don't like the Beach Boys but love the Ramones. There's similarities but there are also differences and either one can be a dealbreaker.

Example of what I mean by production and execution. I cant listen to CRASS for the most part. Lyrically I think the songs are strong but production and execution to me are horrible. Jeffrey Lewis covered a bunch of CRASS songs in a stripped down folk format and I love it. Would listen to that over the original 100 out of 100 times.
I see where you're coming from. With myself I tend to focus on the melody and lyrics. The production is something that doesn't bother me as long as it's not offensive. Modern pop sounds so much better than the shit I had to put up with in the late 80s, all those synthetic drums, slap bass and swathes of reverb. But yeah, I agree something either floats your boat or it doesn't. If I don't like a vocalist then I can't get into the band, even if they have some good songs. Oasis are a good example. Some pretty good songs but I despise Liam's voice so they leave me cold.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

One member at a time, revbob is turning us into an Interrupters board and I am all about it.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
25 Aug 2020, 7:02am
One member at a time, revbob is turning us into an Interrupters board and I am all about it.
Unless of course you already liked the Interrupters before revbob mentioned them. They've been around a while now.

The Interrupters are a great listen. But they are no less generic in what they produce as Carly Jepsen is in what she does. There are lots of bands around playing the same sound as The Interrupters. I like them more than Carly because I like Ska more than modern pop. But that doesn't mean I can't appreciate what Carly does.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Marky Dread wrote:
25 Aug 2020, 8:59am
Silent Majority wrote:
25 Aug 2020, 7:02am
Unless of course you already liked the Interrupters before revbob mentioned them. They've been around a while now.

The Interrupters are a great listen. But they are no less generic in what they produce as Carly Jepsen is in what she does. There are lots of bands around playing the same sound as The Interrupters. I like them more than Carly because I like Ska more than modern pop. But that doesn't mean I can't appreciate what Carly does.
Sure, me too.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston

Post by Heston »

I love this song and this is a nice little film of them making it...

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
26 Aug 2020, 7:13pm

Steve's son died today.

Heston

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
26 Aug 2020, 7:18pm
Heston wrote:

Steve's son died today.
Yeah, I saw that. It's what got me thinking of Steve. Very sad.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
26 Aug 2020, 7:20pm
revbob wrote:
26 Aug 2020, 7:18pm
Heston wrote:

Steve's son died today.
Yeah, I saw that. It's what got me thinking of Steve. Very sad.
Thanks for sharing that video, never seen it before