So- how didn't I know the new Wire was out?

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: So- how didn't I know the new Wire was out?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Totally hypnotic.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

In case you ain't never seen or heard this …
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Aug 2020, 3:37pm
Too Many Guitars
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
28 Aug 2020, 2:27pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Too Many Guitars
Trees do obscure the view of the forest, yes.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Aug 2020, 2:32pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Too Many Guitars
I've never been into that whole Branca thing. Probably because it basically produced Sonic Youth, whom I dislike.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
28 Aug 2020, 2:34pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Aug 2020, 2:32pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Too Many Guitars
I've never been into that whole Branca thing. Probably because it basically produced Sonic Youth, whom I dislike.
Love that shit. My brain is attracted to finding patterns in noise.

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
I'd not only seen and heard that clip, I was there. I can't believe it was 7 years ago!
It actually sounds better, filtered through the limitations of whatever microphone the smartphone had, than it did in real life. It was extremely loud but more than that, it was REALLY trebly and bright. It was good fun to watch but it really pounded my ears which were ringing for days afterwards - I was glad when it ended!
What that video doesn't show is that I think pretty much every one of those guitarists were using their own amps. This was the encore and throughout Wire's set I wondered why the backline was so crammed with dozens of guitar amps of varying sizes and brands. It looked like a music shop's store room. I thought maybe it was just a very Wire-esque arty stage set, but of course it was there for a reason.
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JohnS wrote:
28 Aug 2020, 3:57pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I'd not only seen and heard that clip, I was there. I can't believe it was 7 years ago!
It actually sounds better, filtered through the limitations of whatever microphone the smartphone had, than it did in real life. It was extremely loud but more than that, it was REALLY trebly and bright. It was good fun to watch but it really pounded my ears which were ringing for days afterwards - I was glad when it ended!
What that video doesn't show is that I think pretty much every one of those guitarists were using their own amps. This was the encore and throughout Wire's set I wondered why the backline was so crammed with dozens of guitar amps of varying sizes and brands. It looked like a music shop's store room. I thought maybe it was just a very Wire-esque arty stage set, but of course it was there for a reason.
You sonofabitch, you was holdin' out on us!

I can imagine it was insanely loud, and despite my sensitivity to loud noises—it angries up my epilepsy—I'm more than a bit jealous.

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Aug 2020, 4:25pm
You sonofabitch, you was holdin' out on us!

I can imagine it was insanely loud, and despite my sensitivity to loud noises—it angries up my epilepsy—I'm more than a bit jealous.
It's a dirty job, living in London and going to gigs and stuff*, but someone has to do it :mrgreen:

* or it used to be. Terms and conditions apply.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 6:21am
I had to google the title, even though I knew it, to remind me of the Wire connection, but thanks Doc.
I've got that track somewhere but hadn't heard it in years. It's nice to see it in the context for which it was composed.
How the hell dancers can remember all those moves is beyond me...

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JohnS wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 8:10am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 6:21am
I had to google the title, even though I knew it, to remind me of the Wire connection, but thanks Doc.
I've got that track somewhere but hadn't heard it in years. It's nice to see it in the context for which it was composed.
How the hell dancers can remember all those moves is beyond me...
This was just unearthed and posted on the Pink Flag board. Not sure if the remix came before the dance piece.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
09 Dec 2020, 12:56am
And all America succumbed to Wiremania. Crazy times.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Dec 2020, 7:40am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
09 Dec 2020, 12:56am
And all America succumbed to Wiremania. Crazy times.
Hello,

The post-session interview is telling - Suzanne Somers doesn't get Wire doesn't do perky.