39%
The Pretenders, "Brass in the Pocket"
50%

Total votes: 18

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

The Ultimate Women's Album - Side 2 Track 3 Vote - Round 2

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Let me just say that it's shameful that "Y Control" didn't advance. I was almost tempted to cheat and vote so as to allow it to move on. Hoy brought the goods here, people. :disshame:

That said, there's still some solid choices to vote for, so goodness hasn't been completed extinguished.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: The Ultimate Women's Album - Side 2 Track 3 Vote - Round 2

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Sep 2020, 2:10pm
Let me just say that it's shameful that "Y Control" didn't advance. I was almost tempted to cheat and vote so as to allow it to move on. Hoy brought the goods here, people. :disshame:

That said, there's still some solid choices to vote for, so goodness hasn't been completed extinguished.
I thought it was terrible.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
04 Sep 2020, 2:14pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Sep 2020, 2:10pm

I thought it was terrible.
Of course you did. Find the nearest corner and stand in it until we let you return.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Watch this backfire on me by spelling it out: I really liked the YYYs track but I think it would pull votes from some of the people most likely to vote Interrupters, so it had to go. Voted Interrupters. The others are all good songs, but I want to see something outside the Established Canon or non-billboard-charter get on this thing, and Interrupters are as good a place as any to mount that effort. They're (fairly) new, exciting as hell, and on the upswing. The Interrupters are on the cusp of where the YYYs were like 10 or 15 years ago, imho. Plus, they're carrying the torch for the band this whole site was founded for and it'd be awesome to see them get the nod here. They really, really should be the more obscure/non-established cut that can bring us all together for a round. I'm making the call for board unity and for us to embrace the spirit of the clash this round by voting for their heir apparent, basically.

These other songs are all great too, tho.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Heston

Post by Heston »

I voted for the Interrupters but they have much better songs.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
04 Sep 2020, 2:25pm
They do and I nominated at least one of them. I think some gimmick song won instead.

Heston

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
04 Sep 2020, 3:08pm
Heston wrote:
They do and I nominated at least one of them. I think some gimmick song won instead.
What was that then?

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

One the unique features to this kind of poll is results are dependent on where a track falls on an album and where other great tracks fall - who is it up against? It's like speaking at a conference - sometimes the crowd you draw is totally dependent on who you're up against.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
04 Sep 2020, 3:12pm
revbob wrote:
04 Sep 2020, 3:08pm
Heston wrote:
What was that then?
Id have to go back and look. I think I nominated 2 actually, Prosecutor and She's Kerosene. Gbkill nominated one too. I had plans to nominate Jenny Drinks and perhaps still will.

I may have been a bit dickish when I said gimmick song.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Doc made a very important distinction last round that I keep coming back to, which is that the goal in the round isn't necessarily to pick the best song by an artist, but the best song in the given track slot. So even if there's a "better song" in someone's catalog, that isn't necessarily a penalty. Maybe there's a better song, but is it better than its competition for that specific track position? That's what is being assessed, not just picking the best song a band made. It's a really unusual way of assessing songs, which is part of the point and intrigue of the exercise. Ideally, it leads to a few oddball inclusions of songs you wouldn't otherwise guess would get a pick.

Pex Lives!

Heston

Post by Heston »

Flex wrote:
04 Sep 2020, 3:24pm
Doc made a very important distinction last round that I keep coming back to, which is that the goal in the round isn't necessarily to pick the best song by an artist, but the best song in the given track slot. So even if there's a "better song" in someone's catalog, that isn't necessarily a penalty. Maybe there's a better song, but is it better than its competition for that specific track position? That's what is being assessed, not just picking the best song a band made. It's a really unusual way of assessing songs, which is part of the point and intrigue of the exercise. Ideally, it leads to a few oddball inclusions of songs you wouldn't otherwise guess would get a pick.
Yeah, I get that. Just disappointed cos I would have nominated "Gave You Everything" but too late now.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
A great Fever to Tell track losing to a solid if uninspired Rancid cover band is baffling to me. But then again, pretty much every poll result here is baffling to me.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:
04 Sep 2020, 4:30pm
A great Fever to Tell track losing to a solid if uninspired Rancid cover band is baffling to me. But then again, pretty much every poll result here is baffling to me.
I think that undersells the songwriting chops of the Interrupters. Sure, it's produced in the Hellcat house style, but we wouldn't hold that against a Motown or Stax tune or what-have-you. For some (like me), it's actually a strength of the song. The thing about the Interrupters is that the band minus Aimee is actually sort of a punk and ska equivalent of like the wrecking crew or something. They actually helped write and play all these Hellcat bands tunes in the studio that helped give 'em the house sound we're recognizing. And adding Aimee into the mix gave them their own identity and lead singer to go be their own thing. It's quite cool, imho.

Pex Lives!

matedog

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
04 Sep 2020, 4:59pm
matedog wrote:
04 Sep 2020, 4:30pm
I think that undersells the songwriting chops of the Interrupters. Sure, it's produced in the Hellcat house style, but we wouldn't hold that against a Motown or Stax tune or what-have-you. For some (like me), it's actually a strength of the song. The thing about the Interrupters is that the band minus Aimee is actually sort of a punk and ska equivalent of like the wrecking crew or something. They actually helped write and play all these Hellcat bands tunes in the studio that helped give 'em the house sound we're recognizing. And adding Aimee into the mix gave them their own identity and lead singer to go be their own thing. It's quite cool, imho.
I'm just being snarky since I lost, but I didn't know that about the backing band. I actually quite enjoyed the stuff I've listened to thus far. "Can't Be Trusted" made my Matey's World playlist upon one or two listens.

If they win, this will continue to be a hell of a playlist. Way more interesting than the other one.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog

Post by matedog »

To clarify, I think Y Control is so much more of an exciting and interesting song. The guitar riffs are really unorthodox and Brian Chase is a ridiculously good drummer and really shines on here with those syncopated accents on the 16th note hi hats and four on the floor bass drums, but isn't too much of a muso to throw in the 60s rock beat ("That Thing You Do" beat if you will). Karen doesn't shine as much on this one since it's in her lower, weaker register, but that "Wish I could buy back the woman you stole" is a great lyric.

Anyway, why am I arguing for this after it already lost?