My approximation of Mick's live tone 81/82

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
KCportland
Bang Ice Geezer

My approximation of Mick's live tone 81/82

Post by KCportland »

Here's my little demo of a STH cover that was an attempt to replicate Mick's live tone from the Combat Rock era. Pretty slapdash but I think it's kinda sorta close. Had to record at very low volume so that didn't help

https://youtu.be/lBo5BIo6luY

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Re: My approximation of Mick's live tone 81/82

Post by IkarisOne »

Yeah, a lot of flange for that era. The delay repeat sounds a touch long.

When I was trying to replicate Mick's sound I discovered you want a lot of bass and big speakers. The effects tend to thin out the signal so you want to really pump the low end on the amp.

KCportland
Bang Ice Geezer

Re: My approximation of Mick's live tone 81/82

Post by KCportland »

IkarisOne wrote:
05 Sep 2020, 10:12pm
Yeah, a lot of flange for that era. The delay repeat sounds a touch long.

When I was trying to replicate Mick's sound I discovered you want a lot of bass and big speakers. The effects tend to thin out the signal so you want to really pump the low end on the amp.
Yeah speaker is that's what's missing most. The Orange 15 I'm using has only a 10" so the low end is pretty limited. My marshall has a 12" but the gain on the Orange is closer to a Mesa's.

Delay is definitely longer than MJ used but since it was just guitar I wanted to let it ring a bit for emphasis.

Gonna get a cab for the Orange with 12(s) so I might see then what I can do with it.