Blocked?

Board-related issues and help forum. Announcements, too!
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: Blocked?

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Sep 2020, 11:11am
WestwayKid wrote:
08 Sep 2020, 10:31am
Heston wrote:
08 Sep 2020, 6:33am
white man wrote:
08 Sep 2020, 12:42am
Heston wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 8:28pm
Did anyone on here play "Blocker" or was it just a Northern thing?
Never heard of it mate
Obviously just a South Shields thing then. Similar to "Leave a Go" and "Kick the Can."
We played a lot of Kick the Can in Wisconsin growing up. I'm assuming it's the same game? You split up into 2 teams and then attempt to kick the other team's can without being caught.
Kick the Can where I grew up was a variation of Hide and Seek. Whoever was "it" would go look for the hiders and if they found them, they called the person's name, and then it was a race back to the base where the can was. If it kicked it, then the person who was caught was it. If the hider got their first, then then it had to set it up again and go looking. As well, while it was looking, a hider could sneak back and kick the can and force it to set it up again.
Playing games outside in the neighborhood is one of my favorite childhood memories.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
08 Sep 2020, 11:22am
This sounds similar to a game we played called Ghost in the Graveyard. One person would be chosen as the ghost and everyone else would close their eyes and count to 50. The ghost would hide and then everyone would try to find the ghost. The person that found the ghost would yell "Ghost in the Graveyard" and then everyone else would have to run back to the safe spot before the ghost caught them. The first person caught would become the ghost in the next round and if nobody was caught the same kid would have to be the ghost the next round.
So an inverted version of hide & seek. The advantage, I think, is that there are usually only so many good places to hide. If there's only one person hiding, it becomes tougher to find them, than searching for maybe five or six people.
Playing games outside in the neighborhood is one of my favorite childhood memories.
Yeah, in retrospect, it was a whole lotta fun. Just being outside with friends doing dumb shit.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Heston wrote:
Definitely a Northern thing. Where people are called Heston, Fisto and Man-at-Arms.
Attachments
20200908_175850.jpg
20200908_175850.jpg (101.93 KiB) Viewed 5954 times
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Heston wrote:
white man wrote:
Heston wrote:
Never heard of it mate
Obviously just a South Shields thing then. Similar to "Leave a Go" and "Kick the Can."
We played a lot of Kick the Can in Wisconsin growing up. I'm assuming it's the same game? You split up into 2 teams and then attempt to kick the other team's can without being caught.
Kick the Can where I grew up was a variation of Hide and Seek. Whoever was "it" would go look for the hiders and if they found them, they called the person's name, and then it was a race back to the base where the can was. If it kicked it, then the person who was caught was it. If the hider got their first, then then it had to set it up again and go looking. As well, while it was looking, a hider could sneak back and kick the can and force it to set it up again.
Yes, similar here.

Blocker was just hide and seek around the blocks (of local flats), played in teams.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

Olaf wrote:
08 Sep 2020, 12:00pm
Heston wrote:
Definitely a Northern thing. Where people are called Heston, Fisto and Man-at-Arms.
Fisto sounds a man to avoid.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

WestwayKid wrote:
08 Sep 2020, 11:22am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Heston wrote:
white man wrote:

Never heard of it mate
I just drove through my old neighborhood (we moved out in '95) on Sunday and was thinking about this. I hated PE and playing organized sports at school, but even football and baseball were fun in the cul-de-sac.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

I can only remember catchie kiss.

Heston

Post by Heston »

white man wrote:
08 Sep 2020, 3:27pm
Reminds me of my grandmother's advice that my teeth would fall out if I kissed girls. Adults are cruel, cruel people.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

My favourite was "join the crew". 1 person had to chase loads round and beat them up till they gave in and joined the crew. The "crew" then went on beating the shite out the rest. Last person standing was the hardest and therefore the winner.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BitterTom wrote:
08 Sep 2020, 4:48pm
My favourite was "join the crew". 1 person had to chase loads round and beat them up till they gave in and joined the crew. The "crew" then went on beating the shite out the rest. Last person standing was the hardest and therefore the winner.
So … you've been to prison?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

H Blocked.
h-block-as-worn-by-joe-strummer-the-clash-t-shirt-p2755-7519_image.png

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Haha, good God.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
08 Sep 2020, 3:39pm
white man wrote:
08 Sep 2020, 3:27pm
Reminds me of my grandmother's advice that my teeth would fall out if I kissed girls. Adults are cruel, cruel people.
Says Heston through his gums. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
08 Sep 2020, 2:06pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Heston wrote:
white man wrote:

Never heard of it mate
Yes, similar here.

Blocker was just hide and seek around the blocks (of local flats), played in teams.
Definitely played it a lot Block 1 2 3. Lampost was home and if if made it back first you could either save yourself or everyone.