No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Politics and other such topical creams.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Once again, conservatives love talking about the experience of slavery if it can be applied to their present circumstances: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/bill-bar ... 9eb6eaf9b9
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

*wrong thread*
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Olaf wrote:
17 Sep 2020, 5:32pm
*wrong thread*
Racist!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 Sep 2020, 6:15pm
Olaf wrote:
17 Sep 2020, 5:32pm
*wrong thread*
Racist!
;)
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/u ... -1.5768730

Those academics citing freedom of expression and intellectual integrity are arguing that somehow they can't teach possibly teach without having access to racist and sexist slurs. Try fucking harder, assholes. The Boss teaches in a department that is focused on race and marginalization and, gee, somehow she's been able to do this quite well without resorting to ugly language. This ain't no slippery slope to 1984, and if you want to plant your flag on the same hill as a bunch of bigots, your principles are being revealed.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 6:13am

Those academics citing freedom of expression and intellectual integrity are arguing that somehow they can't teach possibly teach without having access to racist and sexist slurs. Try fucking harder, assholes. The Boss teaches in a department that is focused on race and marginalization and, gee, somehow she's been able to do this quite well without resorting to ugly language. This ain't no slippery slope to 1984, and if you want to plant your flag on the same hill as a bunch of bigots, your principles are being revealed.
This seems beyond their pathetic reason to me. Yes the word exists and the word itself can not be eradicated from existence. But it offends and is offensive so why cause further hurt.

I suppose this word along with many other hateful words could be discussed by those wanting to understand how hatred has fuelled racism from year one. But it shouldn't be used openly in any classroom where the pupil doesnt have a right but to attend.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 7:52am
Dr. Medulla wrote:

This seems beyond their pathetic reason to me. Yes the word exists and the word itself can not be eradicated from existence. But it offends and is offensive so why cause further hurt.

I suppose this word along with many other hateful words could be discussed by those wanting to understand how hatred has fuelled racism from year one. But it shouldn't be used openly in any classroom where the pupil doesnt have a right but to attend.
Going beyond issues of white privilege and the belief in speech without consequence, part of the problem, I think, is that for white male academics (predominantly, but not exclusively) these issues are entirely abstract and intellectual questions, and so they are approached as with any other scholarly matter. But for people of colour or women or LGBT students, this stuff hits not in an abstract way but as reminders of lived experience. There's a disconnect on the instructor side of the podium as to how the language can be received. These issues can and must still be discussed, but there are ways of doing so without seeming callous and dismissive. And, yes, there will be rare times when you pretty much can't get around the use of some of those words, but they are indeed rare. (Coincidentally, I have my Rock Against Racism lecture today. And I will be quoting extensively from Clapton's hideous rant and Powell's "Rivers of Blood" speech, but I know I can get the point across very well without repeating the obvious slurs.)

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 8:12am
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Going beyond issues of white privilege and the belief in speech without consequence, part of the problem, I think, is that for white male academics (predominantly, but not exclusively) these issues are entirely abstract and intellectual questions, and so they are approached as with any other scholarly matter. But for people of colour or women or LGBT students, this stuff hits not in an abstract way but as reminders of lived experience. There's a disconnect on the instructor side of the podium as to how the language can be received. These issues can and must still be discussed, but there are ways of doing so without seeming callous and dismissive. And, yes, there will be rare times when you pretty much can't get around the use of some of those words, but they are indeed rare. (Coincidentally, I have my Rock Against Racism lecture today. And I will be quoting extensively from Clapton's hideous rant and Powell's "Rivers of Blood" speech, but I know I can get the point across very well without repeating the obvious slurs.)
Yes this is the fight against ignorance when discussing this subject and showing it the respect it deserves. Intellectually and morally using it to show the history of its sad usage is a necessary thing to do.

Best of luck with lecture mate. From the heart as always.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 8:12am
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Yeah people police their own speech all the time. Im not above cursing/swearing but I dont use those words in many settings.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

I sat behind a proud boy at a traffic stop this morning. I was driving the man's honkin' big truck and never felt such a strong urge to run someone over. NRA sticker and an automatic rifle sticker on bumpers. Asshole.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Mimi wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 10:49am
I sat behind a proud boy at a traffic stop this morning. I was driving the man's honkin' big truck and never felt such a strong urge to run someone over. NRA sticker and an automatic rifle sticker on bumpers. Asshole.
Yuck. I don't know if I'm just noticing them more, but seems like a lot of these clowns are out and about right now. There is a guy down the street who has 2 large American flags attached to his truck...along with several Trump bumper stickers.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

WestwayKid wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 11:22am
Mimi wrote:
Yuck. I don't know if I'm just noticing them more, but seems like a lot of these clowns are out and about right now. There is a guy down the street who has 2 large American flags attached to his truck...along with several Trump bumper stickers.
They do seem to be more open about it. I was actually shocked to see the OK symbol. It seemed so blatant.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Mimi wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 11:30am
WestwayKid wrote:
Mimi wrote:
They do seem to be more open about it. I was actually shocked to see the OK symbol. It seemed so blatant.
Yep. We were next to a white guy the other night who was blasting rap in his car that had a blue lives matter bumper stiucker.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

JennyB wrote:
24 Oct 2020, 12:08pm
Mimi wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 11:30am
WestwayKid wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Yep. We were next to a white guy the other night who was blasting rap in his car that had a blue lives matter bumper stiucker.
Kanye, duh.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Does Dan White's Twinkie defence still have legs?
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/ ... acial-slur