IMCT Running Club

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: IMCT Running Club

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 5:25pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 4:56pm
matedog wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 4:01pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 3:36pm
matedog wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 3:31pm

Ugh and here I was thinking I was hot shit and maybe able to compete with 17 year old Matey.

The weekly timed runs have been a big motivator. Particularly as you see improvement. I'm worried if I can't get back to where I was or can't get beyond my best, that I'll lose motivation, but I guess we'll see. I've also opted to not do runs longer than 10 miles and no more than 3 times a week. I lost a ton of weight and not in a good way, so I don't want to lose anymore.
I know that eventually my times are going to get worse. I haven't gotten there yet, but it'll happen. And I honestly don't know how I'll react. Hopefully with some maturity and acceptance, but I'm seriously self-competitive. I'm fine with maintaining pace, but getting slower will be rough when it happens.
I haven't had too much aging yet at 37. Still got my hair, still skinny as shit, running general as good as ever. I kinda wish I'd lose something earlier or soon because I think people are more adaptable to change at a younger age. I do have some grays coming in that I'm in strong denial of. And some serious crows feet around the eyes that I'm self conscious of, but that's it. I'm worried I'm going to get a bunch of shit at once at 40 or (worse) 50 and have a mid-life crisis.
Being active, I assume, is the best defence. Or at least to minimize things. Genetics is genetics, but being physically and mentally active is easier when you're younger. I do a shitload of various puzzles every day on the assumption that it'll keep my brain limber. Cos sooner or later, that, too, will start eroding.
As someone who likes outdoor running, sunblock is obviously critical. Otherwise, can't wait to fall apart!
I'm really counting on a cerebral hemorrhage that kills me before I hit the ground. Given my head issues, it seems right. Which means I'll actually linger and slowly become demented and a total burden.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 6:04pm
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 3:36pm

I know that eventually my times are going to get worse. I haven't gotten there yet, but it'll happen. And I honestly don't know how I'll react. Hopefully with some maturity and acceptance, but I'm seriously self-competitive. I'm fine with maintaining pace, but getting slower will be rough when it happens.
I haven't had too much aging yet at 37. Still got my hair, still skinny as shit, running general as good as ever. I kinda wish I'd lose something earlier or soon because I think people are more adaptable to change at a younger age. I do have some grays coming in that I'm in strong denial of. And some serious crows feet around the eyes that I'm self conscious of, but that's it. I'm worried I'm going to get a bunch of shit at once at 40 or (worse) 50 and have a mid-life crisis.
Being active, I assume, is the best defence. Or at least to minimize things. Genetics is genetics, but being physically and mentally active is easier when you're younger. I do a shitload of various puzzles every day on the assumption that it'll keep my brain limber. Cos sooner or later, that, too, will start eroding.
As someone who likes outdoor running, sunblock is obviously critical. Otherwise, can't wait to fall apart!
I'm really counting on a cerebral hemorrhage that kills me before I hit the ground. Given my head issues, it seems right. Which means I'll actually linger and slowly become demented and a total burden.
I'm getting cancer at some point and will probably be a 6-12 month death that will be grueling for those that love me, but at least allows me to say my goodbyes/tie up loose ends. Unless I remain bitter until the end like some in my family.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 6:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:

I'm getting cancer at some point and will probably be a 6-12 month death that will be grueling for those that love me, but at least allows me to say my goodbyes/tie up loose ends. Unless I remain bitter until the end like some in my family.
If I get cancer I'm just going to go on a heroin binge until the end. I know there's no way I'll be able to cope otherwise. I would want to be completely out of it.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I'm pleased by our segueing a thread about staying healthy into one about a miserable death. This board ain't lost its fastball yet.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Kory wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 6:10pm
matedog wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 6:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

If I get cancer I'm just going to go on a heroin binge until the end. I know there's no way I'll be able to cope otherwise. I would want to be completely out of it.
I'm not sure myself. My 23 year old cousin handled his death better than my 86 year old grandfather. I'd like to say I'd kill myself at 80 or 85, but I'm sure I'll be too scared of death when I get that old.

This thread took a real dark turn.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

You fuckers are getting dark.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

revbob wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 6:26pm
You fuckers are getting dark.
Everything is dark now.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

When I was 16 or 17, a guy a year older than me killed himself. I didn't know him well—he joined us for a few pick-up games of football—but his death still comes to mind at times because it was so gruesome and the reasons so strange. He'd been diagnosed with leukemia and, I guess, it was fatal. But he killed himself by self-immolation. I just can't fathom why a person would choose to go out in such a horrific and painful way as a way of avoiding a more prolonged death. I can understand suicide, I suppose, but it's his method that nags at me after all these years.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 6:39pm
When I was 16 or 17, a guy a year older than me killed himself. I didn't know him well—he joined us for a few pick-up games of football—but his death still comes to mind at times because it was so gruesome and the reasons so strange. He'd been diagnosed with leukemia and, I guess, it was fatal. But he killed himself by self-immolation. I just can't fathom why a person would choose to go out in such a horrific and painful way as a way of avoiding a more prolonged death. I can understand suicide, I suppose, but it's his method that nags at me after all these years.
A kid I knew in high school, not a friend but we certainly chatted from time to time. At some point he went to a different school he seemed to have some problems fitting in in high school after being a fairly popular kid thru middle school. Anyway he killed himself in a similar way, fucking gruesome.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

revbob wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 6:59pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
A kid I knew in high school, not a friend but we certainly chatted from time to time. At some point he went to a different school he seemed to have some problems fitting in in high school after being a fairly popular kid thru middle school. Anyway he killed himself in a similar way, fucking gruesome.
Hello,

I am going to live forever. So far, so good.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

After a so so summer of hitting I went t9 the batting cages today and seem to have stumbled upon what Ive been doing wrong. I wasn't consistently bringing my bat far enough back so my swings tended to lack some power because it was a mich shorter swing. Let's see how my theory holds up in the next game. I was thinking the years had caught up to me but I still seem t9 have something left.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
A few years ago, an Internet friend (tho we did meet-up in person about 15 years) emailed me to tell me his 18-year-old son had killed himself (he shared no details about method; I didn't ask). It was especially traumatic for the family because he was seemingly happy, forward-looking, and all that. My friend loved taking him to concerts and was thrilled when his boy discovered the Beatles. It was only after going thru his stuff and consulting with a therapist that they learned he had a self-annihilator personality. The family carried a lot of guilt for missing what must have been coded signs that only became apparent in retrospect. I checked in on him steadily for about a year but he increasingly got more distant. After their other child graduated high school a couple years later and headed off to college, my friend and his wife sold their house and moved to Charleston. I can only assume it was to get away from ugly reminders. My heart kind of tightens whenever I think of them.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 7:07pm
After a so so summer of hitting I went t9 the batting cages today and seem to have stumbled upon what Ive been doing wrong. I wasn't consistently bringing my bat far enough back so my swings tended to lack some power because it was a mich shorter swing. Let's see how my theory holds up in the next game. I was thinking the years had caught up to me but I still seem t9 have something left.
Jose Cruz of the Astros had the craziest bat position that I can think of. He held it right over his head and then came back and down and then thru the zone. Huge arc.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 7:20pm
revbob wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 7:07pm
Jose Cruz of the Astros had the craziest bat position that I can think of. He held it right over his head and then came back and down and then thru the zone. Huge arc.
Remember Tony Batista?

I other thing I remember about him was that he was put on waivers/DFA'd/traded to Baltimore as the Jays were playing a series against them. It was weird seeing him change uniforms overnight.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 7:17pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
A few years ago, an Internet friend (tho we did meet-up in person about 15 years) emailed me to tell me his 18-year-old son had killed himself (he shared no details about method; I didn't ask). It was especially traumatic for the family because he was seemingly happy, forward-looking, and all that. My friend loved taking him to concerts and was thrilled when his boy discovered the Beatles. It was only after going thru his stuff and consulting with a therapist that they learned he had a self-annihilator personality. The family carried a lot of guilt for missing what must have been coded signs that only became apparent in retrospect. I checked in on him steadily for about a year but he increasingly got more distant. After their other child graduated high school a couple years later and headed off to college, my friend and his wife sold their house and moved to Charleston. I can only assume it was to get away from ugly reminders. My heart kind of tightens whenever I think of them.
I know it's easy to say from the outside, but it's so not fair for people to blame themselves for missing signs. You'd have to be a psychologist to pick up on anything to really be concerned about. And now that death-obsessed memes are such a big thing, it's even harder to tell, but I imagine the self-blame will be even worse because of it.