movies

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Re: movies

Post by JennyB »

matedog wrote:
24 Aug 2020, 4:19pm
Also this line had me rolling.
Same. :shifty: :mrgreen:
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 May 2020, 8:43pm
tepista wrote:
26 May 2020, 8:34pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 May 2020, 8:26pm
revbob wrote:
26 May 2020, 8:04pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 May 2020, 7:59pm

Well, I'll keep that in mind if the series ever gets re-run on a retro channel up here. :shifty:
There was a point where I was watching it as a kid and had that revalation that wow she's hot and married to that doddering fool.

Tep, Beaner?" Give me some backup
Tep was likely obsessed with the gals on Petticoat Junction.
I watch it every week. ME TV shows 2 eps at 5am on Saturday and I record them. The second Bobbie Joe and the first Billie Joe are my favorites

Do I know you or what?
Uncle Joe just bought a pick-pocket chimpanzee, I guess we've jumped the shark.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

1922 - just dudes being guys.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

H.P. Lovecraft’s Color Out of Space (2019) Nic Cage and his off-the-grid family are visited by a meteor which seems to alter time and space around them. Also with Tommy Chong and lots of pinkish-purple lights and creatures. Cosmic horror at its best in Richard Stanley’s first feature length film in well over 20 years, following the infamous Dr. Moreau fiasco. Will definitely watch again, and totally going to revisit a campy favorite of mine, The Curse (1987) which is based on the same source material.

The Shed (2019) A man is attacked by a vampire in the woods and saved by daylight, then seeks shelter in a shed. Apparently this vampire had no sense of sunrise, which is a pretty standard trait in most vampires, but anyway… The shed belong to a stereotypical teenager, orphaned and lives with his mean grandpa, the hot chick used to like him but now she hangs around with the jerks, the same jerks that beat him up, etc. So the kid and friend find they have a vampire stuck in a shack (why he can’t get out at night is beyond me) and one friend schemes to lure the bullies in while the other feels the need to do the right thing. I’m afraid I didn’t like this movie at all. They even “borrowed” the “Eat shit and live” line from Sleepaway Camp!

Random Acts of Violence (2019) Jesse Williams (Cabin in the Woods) is the writer of a comic book about a serial killer, which has a large cult following. Hitting the road to promote the end of the comic’s run, a copycat is recreating some of the more violent scenes, and his traveling companions are in danger. Jordana Brewster is his girlfriend, and director Jay Baruchel, who acts in dozens of comedies, is his manager. 80 minutes, like I wish more movies were.

Uncaged aka Prey (2016) A man-eating lion is stalking the streets of Amsterdam by night, and leaving a trail of half-eaten bodies in its wake. A veterinarian and a cop try to track the beast with help from various sources, some less productive than others. A lot of this was played for laughs, but the suspense worked too. Another good job by Dick Maas, director of Amsterdamned and Sint.

Jawbreaker (1999) The popular girls in high school fake-kidnap one of their own as a prank but she chokes to death in the trunk of the car, so they fake it to look like a murder and act like nothing happened in this dark comedy with a good cast but an awful script. Rebecca Gayheart, Rose McGowan, Julie Benz and Judy Greer all look fantastic playing teens in their late 20s, Carol Kane and Pam Grier are wasted in nothing roles, and PJ Soles and William Kaat from Carrie are in it so briefly that I wouldn’t believe it if their names weren’t in the credits. It was OK to stare at for 90 minutes, but overall flat satire.

Hellmaster (1992) Some college kids find the nearby church that burned down 20 years ago was the site of an evil John Saxon injecting students with experimental drugs that turned them into demons…or something. David Emgee, who was Flyboy in Dawn of the Dead, is a hero here in one of his four ever movie credits. The teens were unremarkable, at one point the bimbo beat the handicapped kid to death with his own brace, and it WASN’T supposed to be funny. One good scene of nudity, and some gore, but this was painful to watch.
(all of the above available on SHUDDER)

From Beyond the Grave (1974) The last of Amicus anthologies has four stories, all tied to a curio shop run by Peter Cushing. First, a man buys a haunted mirror that makes him kill hookers and floozies. In the best story, “An Act of Kindness” a man befriends a street peddler and his daughter (Donald and Angela Pleasence) and neglects his mean wife at home (former bombshell Diana Dors), but finds his new companions may have a supernatural power. The third story is played for laughs as an eccentric Madame exorcises a malevolent spirit from a man in his home, and finally, a young man buys a satanic door covering for the door-frame of a closet (because who wouldn’t?) and it opens a mysterious room with a murderous occultist inside. Three of the four stories starred someone named Ian, and first time director Kevin O’Connor would eventually make Motel Hell.

The Trail of Dracula (2017) Hour-long doc about how Bram Stoker’s novel came to be, then the long line of movies to follow. The experts were mostly authors of books I’d never heard of, except Kim Newman, who does the Anno Dracula series that I love. Lots of images, and focused the longest on Christopher Lee. It was OK for a no-budget doc.

The Blood Splattered Bride (1972) A modern re-telling of the classic Carmilla. Young newlywed Susan’s love for her husband fades a bit more each day as his aggressive sexual appetite soon has her constantly on the run. The ghost of a beautiful Vampire soon inhabits her dreams, which consist of her violently murdering her husband. That is until the woman of her dreams turns up buried on the beach wearing nothing but scuba gear. In a hilarious only-in-a-eurosleaze-film moment, he unburies her tits from the sand before anything else. When they bring Carmilla back to the house, his danger gets upgraded from dreams to reality. Every time he looks up it seems some is waving a dagger in his face. Lots of nudity (though Maribel Martin’s is almost certainly a body double), violence, lesbianism and a great ending make this a must see in my book. One of my alltime faves.

Blood and Black Lace (1964) Mario Bava’s first giallo was The Girl Who Knew Too Much the year before, but this one laid down the standards for so many to come. The unknown killer with black gloves, brutally killing beautiful women in a modeling agency, with drugs and greed as motivations, and multiple suspects. And in color!

Get Duked! (2020) In this comedic take on The Most Dangerous Game, three high school knuckleheads (and one willing volunteer) are forced to compete for the “Duke of Edinburg Award” which calls for them to hike across the Highlands of Scotland, when they are suddenly under siege by a masked hunter with a rifle. It was funny, but ultimately stretched one joke for the length of the film. Good enough to watch once.

Four Flies on Grey Velvet (1971) A rock drummer kills a man in self defense and is tormented by an unknown person who has photos of it. Weird, but surprisingly effective gimmick, that the human eyeball retains the last image it sees, which can be scientifically extracted. The third entry in Dario Argento’s “Animal Trilogy” of gialli, and probably the weakest Argento effort until the 1990s. A few things make it worth a watch though. Some brief nudity from a cute brunette, who was also the best kill, and a fun character called “God” (or Dio if you watch in Italian), and when it is explained what the title means. This was nearly impossible to obtain in the US in the 80s and 90s, I’ve managed to put my eyeballs on it a few times over the years.

Assignment Terror (1970) Michael Rennie (The Day the Earth Stood Still) is a space alien who takes the body of a dead scientist and resurrects Earth’s most feared monsters in a plot to take over the world! Dracula, the Mummy, the Wolfman, and Frankenstein’s monster, the latter two both played by screenwriter Paul Naschy, who would play “el Hombre Lobo” about a dozen times throughout the 70s. So Plan 9 meets House of Frankenstein! And about as good! If you ever wanted to see a werewolf fight a mummy, here’s your chance, but overall a tough movie to watch. Naschy’s movies would get better. A little.
Last edited by tepista on 18 Sep 2020, 2:41pm, edited 1 time in total.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Flex wrote:
17 Sep 2020, 11:36pm
1922 - just dudes being guys.
The lead actor was the only who bothered with a southern accent

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Thanks to tep for all the great reviews above.

I finally got around to watching "Once Upon A Time in Hollywood".

My review:

I wish I hadn't finally got around to watching "Once Upon A Time in Hollywood".

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Marky Dread wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 2:53pm

My review:

I fucking cant stand DiCaprio so by default I dont watch his movies.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 6:21pm
Marky Dread wrote:

My review:

He has one of those smackable faces, yet he's been in a number of movies that I liked well enough, including OUATiH. Which I liked far more than I thought I would because QT is especially hit and miss for me (for more the latter),
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 6:50pm
revbob wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 6:21pm
Marky Dread wrote:

My review:

He has one of those smackable faces, yet he's been in a number of movies that I liked well enough, including OUATiH. Which I liked far more than I thought I would because QT is especially hit and miss for me (for more the latter),
Ok, thank you, because whenever I say I cant stand him people look at me like Im crazy. I always figure they probably like Phil Collins too so that provides some self assurance.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

I've been in the mood to rewatch a couple of films with Leo in for a while: Django Unchained and the Departed.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I needed some cheering up so I finally watched this tonight and it super did the trick. Highly recommended for Wolt, Flex, and others who love this shit:
Attachments
D7A2E12F-C12E-4AB1-A4DF-0D38F4529259.jpeg
Last edited by Kory on 19 Sep 2020, 7:26am, edited 1 time in total.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Silent Majority wrote:
19 Sep 2020, 2:15am
I've been in the mood to rewatch a couple of films with Leo in for a while: Django Unchained and the Departed.
Both great, I’m also a big Inception fan if only because it’s so ambitious.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Kory wrote:
19 Sep 2020, 6:25am
Silent Majority wrote:
Both great, I’m also a big Inception fan if only because it’s so ambitious.
Yeah, not too shabby. I don't like the very unnatural dialogue of a Nolan film, just people explaining things to one another, but I caught a 4D showing on the big screen a little while ago for the 10th anniversary and it held up.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I quite liked The Aviator, about Howard Hughes, and Catch Me If You Can is a lot of fun as weirdo caper flick.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
I enjoyed both of those. But "Once Upon A Time in Hollywood" was the biggest pile of crap I'd seen in years. Stiff wooden acting so bad I thought I was going to get splinters. The film is a mess and a complete bore.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia