Pets.

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Pets.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Please say hello to Bugsy and Theodore!
Attachments
BusgyTheodore.jpg
BusgyTheodore.jpg (25.42 KiB) Viewed 2209 times
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

JennyB wrote:
08 Sep 2020, 9:30am
They cute.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
Awww, damn, they're adorable.

Also, they look like Charlotte and Zoë when we got them.
IMG_0150.jpeg
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Sep 2020, 10:27am
JennyB wrote:

Also, they look like Charlotte and Zoë when we got them.IMG_0150.jpeg
OMG!!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Mimi wrote:
08 Sep 2020, 11:49am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:

OMG!!
They are all so cute!
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
08 Sep 2020, 12:46pm
Mimi wrote:
08 Sep 2020, 11:49am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:

OMG!!
They are all so cute!
It's hard to believe they were once that small. And that they liked each other—they grew up to the kinds of sisters who just irritate the piss out of each other.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Got a Rake? Sure!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

We just lost our senior cat a few weeks back. He was 16 plus and just wore out. It was sad, but also the right thing to do. That dropped us from a 4 cat household down to a 3 cat household.

My intention was to cruise alone with 3 cats for the time being, but my mom (who volunteers at a local no kill shelter) already has a new cat picked out for us. She's a black and white tuxedo cat who is 2-3 years old.

I'm just very much on the fence right now. I don't want to upset the balance at home. We have one cat who is a real nervous cat. He sometimes struggles with change, even just bringing in new furniture.

That said, the difference between a 3 cat house and a 4 cat house isn't much in regards to food, litter, and so on.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
21 Sep 2020, 12:48pm
We just lost our senior cat a few weeks back. He was 16 plus and just wore out. It was sad, but also the right thing to do. That dropped us from a 4 cat household down to a 3 cat household.

My intention was to cruise alone with 3 cats for the time being, but my mom (who volunteers at a local no kill shelter) already has a new cat picked out for us. She's a black and white tuxedo cat who is 2-3 years old.

I'm just very much on the fence right now. I don't want to upset the balance at home. We have one cat who is a real nervous cat. He sometimes struggles with change, even just bringing in new furniture.

That said, the difference between a 3 cat house and a 4 cat house isn't much in regards to food, litter, and so on.
So sorry that you had to say goodbye to your old guy. It's never easy, even when you know it's right and proper.

I kinda know what you're dealing with now. When we decided to keep Luke, it was introducing a rambunctious and stupidly confident one-year old to two eight-year old biddies who don't even like each other much (littermates, but at age one or so, they just decided, nope, we ain't hanging out no more). Zoë has figured out how to handle him and he doesn't mess with her much anymore, but Charlotte is a sensitive girl and sends those signals, so he's always chasing her. I do regret that his presence has made her less secure, even if he isn't malicious or anything like that. That balance is so important, where somehow you're doing right by everyone. You want to give a young cat a good home, but you don't want to make it a less good home for those with tenure.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

WestwayKid wrote:

Interesting thing about cats and change. I found a mom and her litter years ago. Did the whole TNR thing and long story short, the two young ones came inside. A year later the mother came inside. The two young ones were tight and quite bonded. Bringing the mother in upset the balance and the girl didn't like the change for close to three years. Then one day she bonded with her mother. Fast forward to mom's passing and she fell apart. She hasn't been the same since and absolutely hates her brother -- the one she bonded with early on. She's getting more difficult the older she gets. I wanted to foster cats after Kitty's passing, but I won't bring another creature in to upset what little balance we have now. I feel for you, especially if it's your mother who is picking out the cat for you. I hope it all works out.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Mimi wrote:
21 Sep 2020, 1:27pm
WestwayKid wrote:

Interesting thing about cats and change. I found a mom and her litter years ago. Did the whole TNR thing and long story short, the two young ones came inside. A year later the mother came inside. The two young ones were tight and quite bonded. Bringing the mother in upset the balance and the girl didn't like the change for close to three years. Then one day she bonded with her mother. Fast forward to mom's passing and she fell apart. She hasn't been the same since and absolutely hates her brother -- the one she bonded with early on. She's getting more difficult the older she gets. I wanted to foster cats after Kitty's passing, but I won't bring another creature in to upset what little balance we have now. I feel for you, especially if it's your mother who is picking out the cat for you. I hope it all works out.
We have a 10 year old who is friendly, but nervous. He gets along well with his brothers, though he will sometimes be a jerk. Our 8 year old is the nervous one. He was rescued off the street as a small kitten and it was years before he stopped spending most of his time hiding. He now comes out and asks for attention and gets along okay with his brothers. He is occasionally bullied, however. Our youngest, who is between 3 and 4, is a very confident young guy. He can be pushy and he sometimes can be aggressive with the other cats, though it's never too violent.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

A perpetual problem we've had with our lady cats is that they've never learned to squat to pee—they basically lift their tails and let it fly. Which has led to a constant problem of piss escaping the back of the litter box, often getting between the pan and where the top attaches. We've looked for a high-backed box, but never found one high enough.

Then today I came across a fucking obvious yet fantastic idea: Take a rubber-plastic storage bin and cut an entrance into it. The sides and back are super high and the lid is easy to put on and take off. So, I did that this afternoon. And now I wait to see how they take to it.

Also of note, storage bins are way cheaper than large litter boxes.