Do we have a podcast thread?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
101Walterton
The Best

Re: Do we have a podcast thread?

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 6:19pm
Found out informally that tomorrow's the last day of in-person classes, so my podcast strategy's going to be tested. But the Boss thinks that you can record audio thru Powerpoint and tell it when to change slides. So if you play the Powerpoint file afterwards, you can just let it run and all the slides will be automated. I'll be digging into that possibility this weekend.
Even before the virus 50.5W never attended lectures (due to sports / travel commitments) and only does them online. Seems to work for her.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 7:14pm
Even before the virus 50.5W never attended lectures (due to sports / travel commitments) and only does them online. Seems to work for her.
Students are way less engaged in lectures than when I was their age. Questions are rare and many of them are more drawn to their laptops or phones the entire time. I've read pieces where lecturers have banned electronic devices altogether—just pen and paper—and reported better engagement, but I can't bring myself to be that controlling. So, yeah, I can see how doing courses online would be seamless. But it feels like only a slight step up from just assigning a textbook and away with ye, wee bairns.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 7:33pm
101Walterton wrote:
Students are way less engaged in lectures than when I was their age. Questions are rare and many of them are more drawn to their laptops or phones the entire time. I've read pieces where lecturers have banned electronic devices altogether—just pen and paper—and reported better engagement, but I can't bring myself to be that controlling. So, yeah, I can see how doing courses online would be seamless. But it feels like only a slight step up from just assigning a textbook and away with ye, wee bairns.
Yep plus she is not into the whole student / University experience she is just ‘getting it done’.
Living at home so no community living and she is an athlete doesn’t do the party thing.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 8:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Yep plus she is not into the whole student / University experience she is just ‘getting it done’.
Living at home so no community living and she is an athlete doesn’t do the party thing.
Speaking as someone on the scholastic side of things, it's a shame that she isn't more fully integrated into the classroom, but I understand that the nature of university life is a lot more varied.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 8:22pm
101Walterton wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 8:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Speaking as someone on the scholastic side of things, it's a shame that she isn't more fully integrated into the classroom, but I understand that the nature of university life is a lot more varied.
She is away for most of semester 1 so not many options. She will do her lectures on line whilst overseas. Last year she even did her exams whilst in Italy!!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

A moment of inspiration while rowing this morning. So, I've already recorded a couple lectures using Powerpoint. When you run the slideshow, you get to hear my awkward squawk and the slides turn when I turned them while talking. It's all automated and good. However, Powerpoint saves the audio as uncompressed wav files, resulting in a 400MB file for each lecture. Plus you have to configure Powerpoint at each user's end to get to hear the audio and to have the slides go automatically, plus you can't easily pause and rewind the audio.

But it dawned on me that I could extract all those wav files, convert them to mp3's, and then give them each slide as their cover art. It'll still be automated—start on "song" 1 and play the album, and the slides will change with each song—but the file size will be much smaller and it'll play on any music app that also shows cover art. It's an extra couple steps for me, but much better for students.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

One podcast I dip into every now and again is "The Album Club."

It's about a once monthly deep-dive into an album that covers the lead up to it, the recording, what happened after and a track-by-track

The latest episode is London Calling so I hope they know their stuff (TBH, they usually do)

https://www.facebook.com/The-Album-Club ... 061262454/
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Haven't listened to this one—I usually wait for the entire season to complete and then compile into one file—but the new Slow Burn is on David Duke's political run in Louisiana in the 90s.
https://slate.com/podcasts/slow-burn/s4/david-duke

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Jun 2020, 7:55pm
Haven't listened to this one—I usually wait for the entire season to complete and then compile into one file—but the new Slow Burn is on David Duke's political run in Louisiana in the 90s.
https://slate.com/podcasts/slow-burn/s4/david-duke
Thanks, I'll be giving this one a listen
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Now that that David Duke podcast has wrapped up, I've been listening to it. Here's one weirdo tidbit that I learned. So, in the 80s, Duke tried to rebrand himself as having left behind white supremacy and Nazi adherence, but a reporter outed him in a series of stories. In response, Duke became obsessed with her, trying to conquer her somehow. She related a multi-hour phone call with him in which he had playing on repeat Mike and the Mechanics' "Silent Running." Playing the same song for, like, three hours is disturbing enough, but something shitty like that further confirms what a psycho Duke is.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Here's me talking the classic Universal horror.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
25 Sep 2020, 10:06am

Here's me talking the classic Universal horror.
Listened to the first half hour or so yesterday and hope to listen to the rest in a bit. Kind of like the last time you shared one of these (both Mississippi Burning and Oliver Stone), I enjoyed listening to you—man, you've got a solid radio voice—but the others you participate try too hard at being edgy(?).

Also: https://thehardtimes.net/culture/podcas ... -ears-out/

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Hello,

Sorry to respond so late but I haven't visited this thread before. There have been studies finding students do perform better academically when handwriting notes rather than collecting them on a laptop. The thinking is students will paraphrase ideas into their own words (and thus promoting understanding) rather than just type ideas word for word. This assumes an undergrad student is actually using a laptop in class to type notes rather than watch ESPN, Netflix, whatever. Online undergrad students will have a lecture on the laptop in front of them but they're open to any possible distraction ("Hey, how you doing? Yeah, I'm in class now watching a lecture. What's going on?"). Grad students are definitely more focused when participating online anecdotally speaking.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
26 Sep 2020, 4:31pm
Hello,

Sorry to respond so late but I haven't visited this thread before. There have been studies finding students do perform better academically when handwriting notes rather than collecting them on a laptop. The thinking is students will paraphrase ideas into their own words (and thus promoting understanding) rather than just type ideas word for word. This assumes an undergrad student is actually using a laptop in class to type notes rather than watch ESPN, Netflix, whatever. Online undergrad students will have a lecture on the laptop in front of them but they're open to any possible distraction ("Hey, how you doing? Yeah, I'm in class now watching a lecture. What's going on?"). Grad students are definitely more focused when participating online anecdotally speaking.
My oldest sister's technique was to rewrite her notes the evening after classes. I don't doubt the benefit of doing that, but yeesh what a lot of work.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Sep 2020, 10:50pm
gkbill wrote:
26 Sep 2020, 4:31pm
Hello,

My oldest sister's technique was to rewrite her notes the evening after classes. I don't doubt the benefit of doing that, but yeesh what a lot of work.
Hello,

I would rewrite my notes to learn the minutia. I have 3 copies of my graduate physiology notebook for Dr. Ray Moss. It was worth the effort.