Strummer 001

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Re: Strummer 001

Post by Low Down Low »

101Walterton wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 9:16pm
Low Down Low wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 8:43pm
white man wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 7:50pm
Such a shame he couldn't work with Ant Genn beyond X-Ray for whatever reasons. The two of them plus Slattery could have gone on to greater things.
Yeah, no Ant, not sure there's any Mescaleroes. I like the sound on the early shows, Ant gave it a harder edge and then you had Pablo doing nice stuff on percussion sometimes. Luke and Tymon were great additions to the later line up at the same time, i thought.
I love Joe’s work with Ant but I also loved the work he did with Tymon on Global. Different direction / style but I enjoyed it equally.
Totally agree on that. Something about Tymon in the band felt so right to me, it was like why didnt joe think of this before? Plus, mondo is Tymons tune, i believe, and i just really like that song.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Low Down Low wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 9:41pm
101Walterton wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
white man wrote:
Such a shame he couldn't work with Ant Genn beyond X-Ray for whatever reasons. The two of them plus Slattery could have gone on to greater things.
Yeah, no Ant, not sure there's any Mescaleroes. I like the sound on the early shows, Ant gave it a harder edge and then you had Pablo doing nice stuff on percussion sometimes. Luke and Tymon were great additions to the later line up at the same time, i thought.
I love Joe’s work with Ant but I also loved the work he did with Tymon on Global. Different direction / style but I enjoyed it equally.
Totally agree on that. Something about Tymon in the band felt so right to me, it was like why didnt joe think of this before? Plus, mondo is Tymons tune, i believe, and i just really like that song.
Bhindi Bhagee possibly my favourite post Clash Joe sounds great with Tymon or because of Tymon.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

101Walterton wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 9:43pm
Low Down Low wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 9:41pm
101Walterton wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
white man wrote:
Bhindi Bhagee possibly my favourite post Clash Joe sounds great with Tymon or because of Tymon.
The 100 club version of BB on you tube is one of my most watched videos. Think that was Tymons first outing as a meskie. The energy levels in that performance are fucking insane.

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

Sorry to hijack, but Slattery and Genn haven't been seen performing live for ten years now. Anyone know what happenend.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

I know they did some of the music for Peaky Blinders and Slatto has done a few film/tv scores prior to that so i wonder if thats their full time focus now. But not really sure tbh.

Edit: interview with Ant here from last year. Lists some of the stuff he and Martin were up to at the time, including a ballet in Switzerland! Sounds like they're keeping busy anyway. The stuff I've heard from PB is very good if you like that sort of thing.

https://variety.com/2019/music/news/pea ... 203233645/

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I think the 3 Meskies albums are great amd I can even get behind some EW .

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

Low Down Low wrote:
19 Aug 2020, 6:32am
I know they did some of the music for Peaky Blinders and Slatto has done a few film/tv scores prior to that so i wonder if thats their full time focus now. But not really sure tbh.

Edit: interview with Ant here from last year. Lists some of the stuff he and Martin were up to at the time, including a ballet in Switzerland! Sounds like they're keeping busy anyway. The stuff I've heard from PB is very good if you like that sort of thing.

https://variety.com/2019/music/news/pea ... 203233645/
Cheers for that LDL

Telecaster
Dirty Punk

Post by Telecaster »

I wonder if any of the Bill Price mixes from Rock Art have survived? If there's ever a 002 compilation it would be interesting to hear what Bill did with the likes of Yalla Yalla.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Telecaster wrote:
21 Sep 2020, 6:41am
I wonder if any of the Bill Price mixes from Rock Art have survived? If there's ever a 002 compilation it would be interesting to hear what Bill did with the likes of Yalla Yalla.
I hadn't heard that he was involved. Why did it not work out?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Telecaster
Dirty Punk

Post by Telecaster »

I think Ant Genn and Joe felt the mixes weren't punchy enough. Not sure if Bill mixed the whole sessions though.

I wonder if there will ever be a 002 compilation? There's a boot of a Portland in-store acoustic performance with nice versions of X-ray Style and The Road To Rock n Roll, that would make great additions. There's a really good vibe about that show.

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

Telecaster wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 4:13am
I think Ant Genn and Joe felt the mixes weren't punchy enough. Not sure if Bill mixed the whole sessions though.

I wonder if there will ever be a 002 compilation? There's a boot of a Portland in-store acoustic performance with nice versions of X-ray Style and The Road To Rock n Roll, that would make great additions. There's a really good vibe about that show.
I'm glad you mentioned the Portland show, I played it just a few hours ago and it deserves wider acceptance. I hope there is another compilation as there must still be worthwhile tracks in the vaults. I was surprised that 'Evil Darling' wasn't on 001, and there are a few tracks from 'Walker' deserving the exposure.

Telecaster
Dirty Punk

Post by Telecaster »

I think Dum Dum Club would have to be on 002 as well.
Evil Darling is a great Strummer tune, thanks for the reminder and Heston for posting the YouTube link