Joe in Prague 1994

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
Persona non grata

Re: Joe in Prague 1994

Post by Persona non grata »

Joe and Dirty Pictures in Prague '94

http://carolina.cuni.cz/archive-en/Caro ... No-115.txt

"A Good Event for a Good Thing

On Sunday, April 16, the Refugees Help Organization (OPU in Czech) together with a Czech-American rock band

Dirty Pictures put on the rock marathon called Rock for Refugees in order to both raise funds to help refugees and inform public on situation of refugees in the Czech Republic. There were several sponsors contributing to a successful course of events, Repre club and the Pilsen beerbar provided space and free service, all bands were performing without a right to be paid for.

Rock marathon began in the afternoon in front of almost empty hall. Repre club and the Pilsen beer bar were connected to each other. One band played the allowed time (30 minutes) on one stage while the other band was preparing on the other. Throughout the afternoon the halls were gradually filling up by mostly foreign audience which could , beside the music production, more closely get acquiented with organizers or buy goods made in refugees' camps. The pre-midnight performance of Joe Strummer, former musician in bands Clash and Pogues, was such
a highlight of the whole event. Despite playing only four songs accompanied by Dirty Pitures and a power blackout, he totally impressed
people in the full hall.
Marathon then went on with following performances up to early morning hours. Both stages saw about 20 music bands, of which the most successful were Hypnotix, Support Lesbiens and Tony Duchacek and Garage.
The Refugees Help Organization is a non-commercial, independant and
non-religious organization. Its goal is "to help foreigners who applied for asylum or received it or took a refuge on the land of CR because of political, ethnic, religious or racial persecution or war." However organizers expected a larger audience, the results of the happening was satisfactory. Saturday event and OPU as it is got a high publicity, about 1,500 people saw the concert and a pay-off is roughly 200,000 Kc.
The money will be used on supporting journal of Bosnian refugees "Mostovi", on university education of refugees and on the new housing
project.(Quotation taken from the OPU Newsletter). Honza K./Zbynek"

and a brief mention that "...a guy who had a local band named Dirty Pictures got to play "London Calling" onstage with Joe Strummer at a benefit for Bosnian refugees." http://www.praguepost.com/articles/2006 ... -to-be.php

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Thanks for digging that out.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

Seconded, nice article.

jfh2002

Post by jfh2002 »

I was at the show playing with a band of Bosnian musicians called Exodus of Souls. Joe indeed did a set of Clash songs that blew the roof off the joint. Later Joe took us out to dinner and regaled us with Clash tales. One of the most memorable nights of my life.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Fingers crossed it was also one of the most recorded nights of your life.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

Silent Majority wrote:Fingers crossed it was also one of the most recorded nights of your life.
Has a recording ever surfaced?

HuckDeMilo
Corner Soul

Post by HuckDeMilo »

I am the singer & guitarist in dirty pictures. That night in Prague did indeed happen and it was EPIC. Joe came for the whole weekend so we had a proper hang. It was a dream come true for me and I am grateful to say that we kept in touch. (I am still in touch with Joe, as are all of you.) What a massive gent that boy was. At the show, we did our set and then Joe jumped onstage. We played London Calling, Brand New Cadillac, I Fought the Law, Tommy Gun, Trash City, and Garageland. The place went mad! And yes, it was captured on DV.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

HuckDeMilo wrote:
10 Oct 2020, 1:46pm
I am the singer & guitarist in dirty pictures. That night in Prague did indeed happen and it was EPIC. Joe came for the whole weekend so we had a proper hang. It was a dream come true for me and I am grateful to say that we kept in touch. (I am still in touch with Joe, as are all of you.) What a massive gent that boy was. At the show, we did our set and then Joe jumped onstage. We played London Calling, Brand New Cadillac, I Fought the Law, Tommy Gun, Trash City, and Garageland. The place went mad! And yes, it was captured on DV.
Brilliant, what a night that must have been.

Any way we can see the footage please?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

Heston wrote:
10 Oct 2020, 1:50pm
HuckDeMilo wrote:
Brilliant, what a night that must have been.

Any way we can see the footage please?
I'll second that request, that would be brilliant to see.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

HuckDeMilo wrote:
Very cool. I missed this post earlier so thanks for chiming in!. I'd love to see pics or videos.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.