Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: The Trump observations thread

Post by Silent Majority »

Flex wrote:
14 Oct 2020, 4:39pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Oct 2020, 4:30pm
Yeah, I'm not sure what basis he has for thinking Trump's following is a one-off thing. Maybe he's unique, maybe he's setting a pattern. Who the fuck knows yet.
Not going to predict the future, lots can happen and who the fuck really knows how society will react to the trump era going forward, but agree with you that it doesn't seem obvious to me that, say, tucker carlson couldn't just replicate the trump playbook in 4 or 8 years or whatever and do basically the same thing but with more calculated viciousness. Maybe it won't happen, but I'd say there's no way to sit here today and foreclose that possibility.

I have come around to the idea that obvious lizard people like tom cotton aren't going to be able to use the trump playbook simply because they're the kind of pencil-neck dorks that trump's base despises almost as much as women and minorities. they need tv star type people to feed their hatred.
There has to be a sex thing with American right-wing psychos since the action film became key in the culture. They wanted to fuck Reagan, they want to be fucked by Trump. Anyone trying to replicate that playbook had better have something psychosexual going on underneath for them.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Yeah, I'm not sure what basis he has for thinking Trump's following is a one-off thing. Maybe he's unique, maybe he's setting a pattern. Who the fuck knows yet.
Not going to predict the future, lots can happen and who the fuck really knows how society will react to the trump era going forward, but agree with you that it doesn't seem obvious to me that, say, tucker carlson couldn't just replicate the trump playbook in 4 or 8 years or whatever and do basically the same thing but with more calculated viciousness. Maybe it won't happen, but I'd say there's no way to sit here today and foreclose that possibility.

I have come around to the idea that obvious lizard people like tom cotton aren't going to be able to use the trump playbook simply because they're the kind of pencil-neck dorks that trump's base despises almost as much as women and minorities. they need tv star type people to feed their hatred.
My standard example about how limited (a polite term for shit bad) we are at reading the future from current politics is the 1964 US election. Conventional wisdom at the time had it that LBJ's landslide had confirmed the welfare state and muscular liberalism, and that laissez faire had been confirmed as irrelevant in the modern world. Of course, we can now see that LBJ represented the last thrust of liberal arrogance that all the contradictions of capitalism had been solved and that Goldwater was the first glimpse of what would be neoliberalism emerging. Even Nixon's 1972 landslide wasn't indicative of what the Right would represent, as in most respects Nixon was closer to LBJ than Reagan. But at the time, yup, Nixon represented a new conservativism, the pundits declared.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
14 Oct 2020, 4:42pm
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

There has to be a sex thing with American right-wing psychos since the action film became key in the culture. They wanted to fuck Reagan, they want to be fucked by Trump. Anyone trying to replicate that playbook had better have something psychosexual going on underneath for them.
Or an S&M thing, wanting to be beaten by daddy to prove their connection.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

I don’t give a shit anymore. This country will get what it deserves. Plan accordingly.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
15 Oct 2020, 12:43am
I don’t give a shit anymore. This country will get what it deserves. Plan accordingly.
Same here with Boris the bluffer.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Even trying to be as fair-minded as possible, it's hard not to conclude that this isn't just about different perspectives. A sizeable part of the right are gleefully stupid and would like nothing more than to drag everyone off the cliff with them.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Oct 2020, 1:53pm
Even trying to be as fair-minded as possible, it's hard not to conclude that this isn't just about different perspectives. A sizeable part of the right are gleefully stupid and would like nothing more than to drag everyone off the cliff with them.
Sounds very somewhat accurate.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Apparently Trump's people have been going with Fortunate Son at his rallies.

https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/i ... use-of?amp

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
19 Oct 2020, 1:00pm
Apparently Trump's people have been going with Fortunate Son at his rallies.

https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/i ... use-of?amp
Super ironically given ol' Bone Spurs' history.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Last weekend, VH, Jr. and I were driving down to make a donation to Stray Rescue (he sold some crafts he made - stress balls, pet rock kits, friendship bracelets and we donated half the proceeds to the shelter). There was a giant Q Anon banner hanging from an overpass. It was jarring.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
19 Oct 2020, 2:56pm
Last weekend, VH, Jr. and I were driving down to make a donation to Stray Rescue (he sold some crafts he made - stress balls, pet rock kits, friendship bracelets and we donated half the proceeds to the shelter). There was a giant Q Anon banner hanging from an overpass. It was jarring.
This shit is basically Emmanuel Goldstein stuff. The people behind it must just guffaw at how fucking gullible so many Americans are.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 12:37am
When you support a man who makes Exxon seem like the good guys it's time to re-evaluate your life.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »