Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
17 Oct 2020, 5:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Oct 2020, 1:48pm
Marky Dread wrote:
17 Oct 2020, 11:58am
Yeah but ...
Oh lord, could there be a sicker burn to Crass?

edit: Oh, apparently it's a self burn? That's depressing.
The Crass camp pretty much split down a fault line a while back: those that didn’t want to cash in and those that clearly very much did.
As I said, depressing. I mean, who cares that Green Day is commodified to fuck and back, but bands that actively sought to use punk as a social critique and practical alternative, that shouldn't happen.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Oct 2020, 6:04pm
Wolter wrote:
17 Oct 2020, 5:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Oct 2020, 1:48pm
Marky Dread wrote:
17 Oct 2020, 11:58am
Yeah but ...
Oh lord, could there be a sicker burn to Crass?

edit: Oh, apparently it's a self burn? That's depressing.
The Crass camp pretty much split down a fault line a while back: those that didn’t want to cash in and those that clearly very much did.
As I said, depressing. I mean, who cares that Green Day is commodified to fuck and back, but bands that actively sought to use punk as a social critique and practical alternative, that shouldn't happen.
Totally.

And in these cases, the ones who want to sell are always the ones that win.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Speaking of, has anyone seen that they're re-doing the Crassical Collection again? What is the point of this?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Kory wrote:
19 Oct 2020, 11:50pm
Speaking of, has anyone seen that they're re-doing the Crassical Collection again? What is the point of this?
Wait, what? Why?
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 12:04am
Kory wrote:
Wait, what? Why?
*cash register noise*

I assume.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Flex

Post by Flex »

Kory wrote:
Just dug in a little more: looks like this is the first reissue of Best Before as a Crassical, so that will probably be a pickup from me. At least a couple of the releases have additional tracks no featured in the original Crassical issues as well - on the fence as to whether I'd pick those up (probably not). I'd love to hear a review of the relative sound quality between the two issues. Can't imagine they're difference (in fact, I noticed that a lot of the new Crassical issues still use the 2008 masters, only remastering some of the material - including all the newly added tracks, obviously). Without knowing more about the project, this seems like mostly a pretty shitty cash-grab. Which is unfortunate coming from, well, Crass. Guess the half of the band that saw the bullshit coming in 2008 had a point.

Pex Lives!

Flex

Post by Flex »

I found this article about all 84 of Jimi Hendrix's posthumous releases weirdly fascinating: https://ultimateclassicrock.com/posthum ... bums-list/

Pex Lives!

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 12:42pm
Kory wrote:
Just dug in a little more: looks like this is the first reissue of Best Before as a Crassical, so that will probably be a pickup from me. At least a couple of the releases have additional tracks no featured in the original Crassical issues as well - on the fence as to whether I'd pick those up (probably not). I'd love to hear a review of the relative sound quality between the two issues. Can't imagine they're difference (in fact, I noticed that a lot of the new Crassical issues still use the 2008 masters, only remastering some of the material - including all the newly added tracks, obviously). Without knowing more about the project, this seems like mostly a pretty shitty cash-grab. Which is unfortunate coming from, well, Crass. Guess the half of the band that saw the bullshit coming in 2008 had a point.
Ok, I’m tempted on the Best Before because that remains my favorite overall Crass release.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 12:42pm
Kory wrote:
Best Before was re-released at the time, but yeah, it was the original master rather than the beefy Crassical one. I'll probably get one of these just to compare, so I'll let you know. Where did you find your information? The most I found was a very general statement from "the band (read: probably Pen)" about remastering and releasing, with no acknowledgement that they had done it already.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Flex

Post by Flex »

Kory wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 1:48pm
Best Before was re-released at the time, but yeah, it was the original master rather than the beefy Crassical one. I'll probably get one of these just to compare, so I'll let you know. Where did you find your information? The most I found was a very general statement from "the band (read: probably Pen)" about remastering and releasing, with no acknowledgement that they had done it already.
Combo of a louder than war review: https://louderthanwar.com/crass-the-cra ... ollection/
And the Crassical discogs page: https://www.discogs.com/label/286746-Cr ... Collection

Pex Lives!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I'm a big Rolling Stones fan and over the years I've collected a lot of their CD's across several labels. Just recently picked up a 1989 West German Polydor issue of Hot Rocks and I'm hearing sonic details I've never heard before.

I don't think I knew there was piano on Satisfaction until I heard this version. This disc has a lot of true stereo mixes (versus the awful fake/narrow stereo issued by ABCKO).

The point of this post is not to talk about the Stones, but to simply say that it's fascinating to listen to a song you've heard countless times and still find new things.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

WestwayKid wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 1:59pm
I'm a big Rolling Stones fan and over the years I've collected a lot of their CD's across several labels. Just recently picked up a 1989 West German Polydor issue of Hot Rocks and I'm hearing sonic details I've never heard before.

I don't think I knew there was piano on Satisfaction until I heard this version. This disc has a lot of true stereo mixes (versus the awful fake/narrow stereo issued by ABCKO).

The point of this post is not to talk about the Stones, but to simply say that it's fascinating to listen to a song you've heard countless times and still find new things.
That's interesting. Possibly remixed for the set?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Heston wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 2:04pm
WestwayKid wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 1:59pm

That's interesting. Possibly remixed for the set?
Their early CD catalog was a mess for many, many years.

ABCKO had the rights to issue in the US and they put out a lot of junk. They used whatever masters they could get their hands on and most of them sound muddy with a lot of fake stereo.

The early albums were issued by London in the UK and they had access to mastering done by Mobile Fidelity. They sound night and day better than what ABCKO put out: a lot true stereo.

I made a mistake above. The 1989 Polydor issues were produced in Japan, not West Germany. The 1985 London pressings were from West Germany.

The 1989 Polydor versions are essentially the same as the 1985 London releases.

The best part of the London/Polydor releases is that they used wide stereo mixes, so sonic details like the piano in Satisfaction pop out. This one really fascinates me because Brian Jones' acoustic guitar really jumps out of the mix (it's buried in most other mixes). Left channel is Keith's electric guitar and Wyman's bass, right channel is Jones' acoustic and Jack Nitzsche on piano. Jagger's vocal is then nicely centered.

ABCKO finally made things right in 2002 when they released SACD hybrids of their catalog, but I still prefer the early versions.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

10 bands who wouldn’t exist without Korn. Shrug.
https://www.loudersound.com/features/10 ... thout-korn
At one point in the late 90’s Korn were the biggest band in popular music,
Is there any truth to that statement? I really don't know I ignored much of the 90s. If true Flex and Hoy have a lot to answer for.