The Election Thread To Talk About The Election

Politics and other such topical creams.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Election Thread To Talk About The Election

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Read some speculation about the latest example of polling fuck-uppery in underestimating Trump support. The supposition is that it's not that people don't tell pollsters they support Trump because of secret shame, but a paranoia of deep state monitoring and the like. I dunno, sure?

Also, Trump's share of Republican voters went up from 90% to 92% between the two elections. I wonder, tho, how much that has to do with Republicans who changed their identification to independent. That is, did he actually capture more Republicans or is it a result of driving some out of the party?
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Nov 2020, 9:34pm
Read some speculation about the latest example of polling fuck-uppery in underestimating Trump support. The supposition is that it's not that people don't tell pollsters they support Trump because of secret shame, but a paranoia of deep state monitoring and the like. I dunno, sure?

Also, Trump's share of Republican voters went up from 90% to 92% between the two elections. I wonder, tho, how much that has to do with Republicans who changed their identification to independent. That is, did he actually capture more Republicans or is it a result of driving some out of the party?
i think i was talking about the latter point with wolt some time ago: anyone who would be these mythical "anti-trump republicans" would have bailed on the party a few years ago (the one in my own life i know of, our local county clerk, switched her party affiliation to democrat almost immediately following the 2016 election and she'd already pretty much been a rino for quite a few years). the result is both that trump consolidates republican support event further AND makes the idea of peeling off said republicans an even dumber and more futile project than it would have been in 2016.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
04 Nov 2020, 9:45pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Nov 2020, 9:34pm

i think i was talking about the latter point with wolt some time ago: anyone who would be these mythical "anti-trump republicans" would have bailed on the party a few years ago (the one in my own life i know of, our local county clerk, switched her party affiliation to democrat almost immediately following the 2016 election and she'd already pretty much been a rino for quite a few years). the result is both that trump consolidates republican support event further AND makes the idea of peeling off said republicans an even dumber and more futile project than it would have been in 2016.
Yup, I agree. The best you can say is that he's alienated some conservatives, but that's not the same thing as those who identify with the party.

GotGameGreggy
Dirty Punk

Post by GotGameGreggy »

JennyB wrote:
04 Nov 2020, 4:43pm
GotGameGreggy wrote:
04 Nov 2020, 3:10pm
JennyB wrote:
04 Nov 2020, 12:41pm
Missouri was a bloodbath. An absolute bloodbath. The way this state has been gerrymandered to death pretty much guarantees that no dem can win in my district. Where I live is heavily blue, but my district is so large that it contains bedroom communities and rural areas. No dems won any of the statewide races. Our governor, who wasn't even elected his first term (he came to office when our disgraced former governor resigned), wiped the floor with his challenger. Our governor, who had COVID and then thought it was a good idea to hold a fall hootenanny. Our governor, who is so far up Trump's ass he could give him his colonoscopy results.

65% voter turnout in the city of St. Louis. It's shocking.
I'm in St. Louis County and I voted for the first time yesterday (I was 17 at the time of the 2016 Election). I voted Democrat all around. I know Missouri is very Conservative, but I wanted to do my part and make our state slightly less red. Every vote counts, we can make a difference.
Thank you for voting and nice to see a fellow St. Louis Countyian on IMCT! I was really pulling for Jill Schupp and really thought she had a chance. Wagner just sucks.
Yeah, I wanted Jill Schupp to win too. Not only do I disagree with Wagner's politics, Wagner also seems like the definition of a "Karen". She has that "I demand to speak with the manager" look :rolleyes:

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
04 Nov 2020, 10:51pm
SHE'S A WITCH!

BostonBeaneater

tepista wrote:
04 Nov 2020, 11:03pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
SHE'S A WITCH!
So you're saying you'd go for it, right?

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
04 Nov 2020, 11:20pm
tepista wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
SHE'S A WITCH!
He has to pick up every stitch
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Wolter wrote:
04 Nov 2020, 11:48pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
04 Nov 2020, 11:20pm
tepista wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
SHE'S A WITCH!
He has to pick up every stitch
Beatniks are out to make it rich

BostonBeaneater

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Was listening to a democrat commentator earlier blaming the poor performance in the congressional and house elections on the party "adopting the cultural positions of the hard left". By cultural positions he means lgbt, reproductive and other fundamental human rights. I often wonder what some people would do if they didn't have the left to bash around for their own failings and shortcomings.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
05 Nov 2020, 9:17am
Was listening to a democrat commentator earlier blaming the poor performance in the congressional and house elections on the party "adopting the cultural positions of the hard left". By cultural positions he means lgbt, reproductive and other fundamental human rights. I often wonder what some people would do if they didn't have the left to bash around for their own failings and shortcomings.
Given that Democrats have fundamentally adopted the economic position of the right over the past 40 years, this person also wants them to endorse the right's attitudes on social policy? "We can't win until we fully surrender."

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/fox ... 36d95228c5

Ape has killed ape, ape has killed ape, ape has killed ape …