Re: The Election Thread To Talk About The Election

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Nov 2020, 3:05pm
Flex wrote:
05 Nov 2020, 2:59pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Nov 2020, 2:37pm
Sorry it didn't happen, but Soros can only fix so many elections. Did you enjoy running a campaign (this was your first at that, no?)?
No, I use to do more campaign managing like this and I've spent most of my adult life doing campaign consulting work on local stuff. I got out of it because there's very little of the work that I particularly enjoy. I like the basic mechanics of outreach, but there's a bunch of bullshit that comes along with it too that I'm not a big fan of, particularly the relentless grind on fundraising. But, I needed to pick up some work and wanted to reconnect with some of the political scene, and I believed it was a race that was at least worth a shot at.
Ah, my mistake. Serious respect to your effort, especially because I couldn't fathom doing that kind of work.
Seconded. And a belated apology for Icetown ruining your own career.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Cheers, all. I'm not too bummed - would have preferred a different outcome, but we over-performed the baseline in a heavily red district so for my own professional standing it was still a good, if not spectacular, outcome. Kind words always appreciated tho!
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Sorry for the outcome, Flex, but good work making at least some headway
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://nationalpost.com/news/if-trump- ... visor-says

Can Trump still run in 2024 if he's hiding out in a country without an extradition treaty with the US?
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

POTUS bubble forming over Delaware.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Nov 2020, 4:48pm

Can Trump still run in 2024 if he's hiding out in a country without an extradition treaty with the US?
Maybe he'll 1) pass away before 2024 or 2) lose his mind completely before 2024 or 3) be convicted of a Federal crime(s) before 2024 and we truly won't ever have to worry about him again.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

WestwayKid wrote:
05 Nov 2020, 5:24pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Maybe he'll 1) pass away before 2024 or 2) lose his mind completely before 2024 or 3) be convicted of a Federal crime(s) before 2024 and we truly won't ever have to worry about him again.
Hello,

Has Vegas posted odds on these?

GotGameGreggy
Dirty Punk

Post by GotGameGreggy »

JennyB wrote:
05 Nov 2020, 12:00pm
GotGameGreggy wrote:
04 Nov 2020, 10:19pm
JennyB wrote:
04 Nov 2020, 4:43pm
GotGameGreggy wrote:
04 Nov 2020, 3:10pm
JennyB wrote:
04 Nov 2020, 12:41pm
Missouri was a bloodbath. An absolute bloodbath. The way this state has been gerrymandered to death pretty much guarantees that no dem can win in my district. Where I live is heavily blue, but my district is so large that it contains bedroom communities and rural areas. No dems won any of the statewide races. Our governor, who wasn't even elected his first term (he came to office when our disgraced former governor resigned), wiped the floor with his challenger. Our governor, who had COVID and then thought it was a good idea to hold a fall hootenanny. Our governor, who is so far up Trump's ass he could give him his colonoscopy results.

65% voter turnout in the city of St. Louis. It's shocking.
I'm in St. Louis County and I voted for the first time yesterday (I was 17 at the time of the 2016 Election). I voted Democrat all around. I know Missouri is very Conservative, but I wanted to do my part and make our state slightly less red. Every vote counts, we can make a difference.
Thank you for voting and nice to see a fellow St. Louis Countyian on IMCT! I was really pulling for Jill Schupp and really thought she had a chance. Wagner just sucks.
Yeah, I wanted Jill Schupp to win too. Not only do I disagree with Wagner's politics, Wagner also seems like the definition of a "Karen". She has that "I demand to speak with the manager" look :rolleyes:
She's awful. Never meets with constituents. Never holds town halls. I work in advocacy, and our organization spoke to her once - we happened to spot her in the capitol in DC and ambushed her. She suuuuuccccckkkkkssss.
What are your thoughts on Sam Page as county executive and Lyda Krewson as mayor? I've heard people criticize them, but I really have no opinion on either one.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

1) Hope so.
2) He hasn't lost his mind yet?
3) Federal or state, I hope so. Plus with, reportedly, close to $1B in loans coming due, he's got liquidity issues. I read something from a bank executive who said that there aren't any banks who'll want to touch him now. He's too high profile as a risk. So this guy figured Trump as real estate ghoul could collapse sooner than people think.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">because we know how stupid it fuckin looks lmao <a href="https://t.co/12lmXfV2aq">https://t.co/1 ... </p>&mdash; chrissy teigen (@chrissyteigen) <a href=" 5, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Nov 2020, 5:53pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

1) Hope so.
3) Federal or state, I hope so. Plus with, reportedly, close to $1B in loans coming due, he's got liquidity issues. I read something from a bank executive who said that there aren't any banks who'll want to touch him now. He's too high profile as a risk. So this guy figured Trump as real estate ghoul could collapse sooner than people think.
I think we live in a country where Trump's followers will send him their money to get him out of debt.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
05 Nov 2020, 5:57pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Nov 2020, 5:53pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

1) Hope so.
I think we live in a country where Trump's followers will send him their money to get him out of debt.
I wish that were a joke, but I could absolutely see a bunch of nimrods crowdfunding for Trump.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
05 Nov 2020, 2:23pm
Flex wrote:
04 Nov 2020, 12:27pm
for my own campaign (that I had been managing), we're down a couple hundred with some provisional ballots and such still to come in. state party is mounting a ballot curing campaign. shit's unlikely, but may pull this one out yet. Pretty out of my hands at this point tho.
Conceded this morning, the numbers just weren't there to keep chasing ballots. Ah, well. We actually hit our voting targets but the district leans so republican we needed depressed turnout in the trumpy/Qanon-ist parts of the district and they were super fired up to vote too, so we actually lost some ground in those areas despite our raw vote numbers being where we wanted them. So it goes.
Bummer Flex, but good to hear your positive takeway. The Trumpy-QAnon turnout really fucked a lot of shit up.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

matedog wrote:
05 Nov 2020, 6:27pm
Flex wrote:
Flex wrote:
for my own campaign (that I had been managing), we're down a couple hundred with some provisional ballots and such still to come in. state party is mounting a ballot curing campaign. shit's unlikely, but may pull this one out yet. Pretty out of my hands at this point tho.
Conceded this morning, the numbers just weren't there to keep chasing ballots. Ah, well. We actually hit our voting targets but the district leans so republican we needed depressed turnout in the trumpy/Qanon-ist parts of the district and they were super fired up to vote too, so we actually lost some ground in those areas despite our raw vote numbers being where we wanted them. So it goes.
Bummer Flex, but good to hear your positive takeway. The Trumpy-QAnon turnout really fucked a lot of shit up.
I'm not saying that there are no Q-Whos up here in Massachusetts. I will say that I have never seen any in the wild. As a campaign worker for a candidate I'm sure was to the left of Trotsky, did you run into these folks who are under the spell of the Q spell? I guess the question goes to everyone, have any of you run into enthusiastic Q's in the wild?

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
05 Nov 2020, 10:39pm
matedog wrote:
05 Nov 2020, 6:27pm
Flex wrote:
Flex wrote:
I'm not saying that there are no Q-Whos up here in Massachusetts. I will say that I have never seen any in the wild. As a campaign worker for a candidate I'm sure was to the left of Trotsky, did you run into these folks who are under the spell of the Q spell? I guess the question goes to everyone, have any of you run into enthusiastic Q's in the wild?
Not that I know of. I have a fb friend (high school friend I haven't seen in 19 years) that is big into it.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.