IMCT Running Club

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Re: IMCT Running Club

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Nov 2020, 3:02pm
matedog wrote:
05 Nov 2020, 2:52pm
gkbill wrote:
02 Nov 2020, 9:54pm
Hello,

Part of what may happen is the blend between associative and disassociative strategies. An associative strategy is when you are regularly checking your body (e.g., How's my breathing? My legs feel good. My heart rate is pretty quick) versus a disassociative when you distract yourself form your body (e.g., This is a good track. What a great day/It's really hot. Look at that squirrel.) Think about your best runs. What percent of time were you checking on your body versus listening to music? Try to replicate that blend on your next run.
I have found music to be most inspiring for timed/fast runs and podcasts most helpful for long runs. The music tends to result in associative results since it usually isn't as engaging as a podcast. Interesting, I hadn't considered these two approaches.
I've tried riding with music and found it unproductively distracting. Nothing to do with the type of music or its BPM or anything like that, I'd just lose focus on what I was doing. Audiobooks hit a middle point for me of concentration and distraction.
Hello,

If I'm running outside, I never listen to music/headphones/ear buds/audio books/podcasts. I think I got this way as I used to run in urban settings where it was a safety issue. If I'm on a treadmill, I always have music. When I used to do really long runs, I would sometimes carry a golf ball and lob it high in front of me and race to catch it after the first bounce. It also helped if there was an unfriendly aggressive dog. If a dog came after me, I'd throw to golf ball past him and the dog would usually chase the ball. Music or anything distracting doesn't work for trail running - you need to focus on the trail and roots, rocks, etc. Now, I just prefer the quiet and hearing my breathing.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
05 Nov 2020, 4:01pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Nov 2020, 3:02pm
matedog wrote:
05 Nov 2020, 2:52pm
gkbill wrote:
02 Nov 2020, 9:54pm
Hello,

Part of what may happen is the blend between associative and disassociative strategies. An associative strategy is when you are regularly checking your body (e.g., How's my breathing? My legs feel good. My heart rate is pretty quick) versus a disassociative when you distract yourself form your body (e.g., This is a good track. What a great day/It's really hot. Look at that squirrel.) Think about your best runs. What percent of time were you checking on your body versus listening to music? Try to replicate that blend on your next run.
I have found music to be most inspiring for timed/fast runs and podcasts most helpful for long runs. The music tends to result in associative results since it usually isn't as engaging as a podcast. Interesting, I hadn't considered these two approaches.
I've tried riding with music and found it unproductively distracting. Nothing to do with the type of music or its BPM or anything like that, I'd just lose focus on what I was doing. Audiobooks hit a middle point for me of concentration and distraction.
Hello,

If I'm running outside, I never listen to music/headphones/ear buds/audio books/podcasts. I think I got this way as I used to run in urban settings where it was a safety issue. If I'm on a treadmill, I always have music. When I used to do really long runs, I would sometimes carry a golf ball and lob it high in front of me and race to catch it after the first bounce. It also helped if there was an unfriendly aggressive dog. If a dog came after me, I'd throw to golf ball past him and the dog would usually chase the ball. Music or anything distracting doesn't work for trail running - you need to focus on the trail and roots, rocks, etc. Now, I just prefer the quiet and hearing my breathing.
The golf ball thing is fascinating. I assume you'd get to be pretty skilled at controlling your throw so that you didn't botch your running pace or, worse, tripping.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I keep expecting a 101 post in here.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
05 Nov 2020, 6:19pm
Or the spouse-brag thread. There was a real purity to the pride he had in his daughter's accomplishments.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Nov 2020, 6:29pm
revbob wrote:
05 Nov 2020, 6:19pm
Or the spouse-brag thread. There was a real purity to the pride he had in his daughter's accomplishments.
Yeah there was, I miss the SOB.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Bought a barely used water rower this afternoon (the actual wood frame kind). The owner figured it has less than 100 kms on it. This is my last stab at these things. If it breaks after three months or whatever, I'm going to conclude they're not actually meant to be used.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Nov 2020, 5:24pm
Bought a barely used water rower this afternoon (the actual wood frame kind). The owner figured it has less than 100 kms on it. This is my last stab at these things. If it breaks after three months or whatever, I'm going to conclude they're not actually meant to be used.
I saw TV's Kevin Spacey using one, they can't be all bad.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
07 Nov 2020, 8:17pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I saw TV's Kevin Spacey using one, they can't be all bad.
X(

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hello,

Check ebay in February. People make fitness New Year's resolutions....then put them up on ebay in February.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
07 Nov 2020, 8:34pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hello,

Check ebay in February. People make fitness New Year's resolutions....then put them up on ebay in February.
Well, yes, but I already bought this one. :cool: And I did get a great deal on it. And the sound of the blades in the water is really fucking cool and soothing (it's remarkable what an immediate psychological effect that sound had on me). But seriously, if this completely goes splat, it's hard to conclude that I'm either seriously unlucky, ridiculously strongs (ha!), or these things are engineered on the assumption they'll be used a few times then gather dust. All I want is something that can handle 45 mins a day, 6 days a week.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Nov 2020, 8:46pm
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hello,

Well, yes, but I already bought this one. :cool: And I did get a great deal on it. And the sound of the blades in the water is really fucking cool and soothing (it's remarkable what an immediate psychological effect that sound had on me). But seriously, if this completely goes splat, it's hard to conclude that I'm either seriously unlucky, ridiculously strongs (ha!), or these things are engineered on the assumption they'll be used a few times then gather dust. All I want is something that can handle 45 mins a day, 6 days a week.
Hello,

When we bought our treadmill, we paid more for a model with a lifetime guarantee. Whenever anything goes wrong, we pay $70 - no parts costs, no labor costs. It was a great decision. We've gone through a few belts, a few headboards (electronics), and a few decks. We've had it 9 years and 4,500 miles. Get a guarantee.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
07 Nov 2020, 10:17pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Nov 2020, 8:46pm
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hello,

Hello,

When we bought our treadmill, we paid more for a model with a lifetime guarantee. Whenever anything goes wrong, we pay $70 - no parts costs, no labor costs. It was a great decision. We've gone through a few belts, a few headboards (electronics), and a few decks. We've had it 9 years and 4,500 miles. Get a guarantee.
When I looked at some new ones, I checked for extended warranties, and the only one that I could find had really negative customer evals. If I have to replace the water drum in this one, it's around $200. If the belt goes, well, I dunno what happens. But given that I paid about a third of what it retails for, I have some savings to be applied if need be.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

First day with the new rower and it's a different experience than either of the others. It's a more fluid experience (ho ho—cos the resistance is provided by water in a drum, with spinning blades worked by each rowing stroke) and the resistance is much less than my last one. If the sensor is accurate, my speed is about one-third of the previous rower. I really didn't feel much effect in my upper body and I thought my legs were just going thru the motions, but around the 30 minute mark, I started to feel something in my legs. I also ended up sweating more than with the last rower. I would prefer the resistance be higher—can't really be helped there; the water level is at its max fill point—but the action itself is quite smooth and satisfying.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

And my row this morning ended when it started leaking water. The seal separating the two halves of the tank started giving way. Not a huge surprise there given the age of the rower. Found a video on line how to remove the old seal and glue in a new one—seemed pretty simple. Just have to let it dry and see if I did it right.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Nov 2020, 3:51pm
And my row this morning ended when it started leaking water. The seal separating the two halves of the tank started giving way. Not a huge surprise there given the age of the rower. Found a video on line how to remove the old seal and glue in a new one—seemed pretty simple. Just have to let it dry and see if I did it right.
Such a beast.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.