A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

General music discussion.
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

Post by matedog »

Olaf wrote:
11 Nov 2020, 2:00pm
Thanks for the feedback everyone, I really enjoyed reading the reviews!

Heston was spot on calling Ton Steine Scherben angry hippies. First rock band to sing in German and part of the Berlin squatting scene in the early 70s. Some of their song titles became political slogans of the radical left and were also used by the German punks later. The singer is the very young Rio Reiser, who some might remember from my old avatar.

Die Profis were from Düsseldorf and sprang from the same scene as Die Toten Hosen. I think they had a minor hit with this one, but otherwise remained pretty obscure. Always thought they deserved a bit more success.

"Der Goldene Reiter" became a kind of signature song for the New German Wave in the early 80s, although Joachim Witt never really wanted to be a part of it. Don't think he complained about the record sales though. Great lyrics about a guy on his way to the asylum.

Spliff, formerly the Nina Hagen Band, carried on pretty successfully without Nina. Loved this album as a teen.

A lot of German music coming out these days is pretty boring. Peter Fox' album "Stadtaffe" was a breath of fresh air.
Cool follow up. It was nice listening blind so to speak and getting background after the fact.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

(Revbob shaking fist) Who's next!
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
11 Nov 2020, 2:41pm
We have to get back to a Monday post or whatever it was. I usually don't have time to really sit down with these until Thursdays.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Heston

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
11 Nov 2020, 5:59pm
Heston wrote:
We have to get back to a Monday post or whatever it was. I usually don't have time to really sit down with these until Thursdays.
I suppose a late review can be posted even if we've moved on to the next person, it's already happened a couple of times. I've really enjoyed this thread, it's turned me on to a few great songs so far.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

If all goes well after tonight I will have time for this again

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
Indeed …
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 8:04pm
Heston wrote:
Indeed …
One of my favourite threads we ever had, shame it seems to be limping into oblivion.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Indeed …
I still need to review Depeche Mode and the Scorpions.

But here's the list so far, we can take it back to the top if Doc is gonna remain on the sidelines (he's got a Dr's note, he hurt his back rowing and isn't supposed to do anything to strenuous for a while). :shifty:

BitterTom
gkbill
Flex
Marky Dread
Heston
Silent Majority
revbob
WestwayKid
matedog
Kory
oliver
JennyB
Olaf

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 8:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Indeed …
I still need to review Depeche Mode and the Scorpions.

But here's the list so far, we can take it back to the top if Doc is gonna remain on the sidelines (he's got a Dr's note, he hurt his back rowing and isn't supposed to do anything to strenuous for a while). :shifty:

BitterTom
gkbill
Flex
Marky Dread
Heston
Silent Majority
revbob
WestwayKid
matedog
Kory
oliver
JennyB
Olaf
I mean, I can offer one up, but it might be the final stake in this thing's heart!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 8:07pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Indeed …
One of my favourite threads we ever had, shame it seems to be limping into oblivion.
I can have 5 ready within the hour.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

I can have some very quickly as well - but not until later tomorrow. Calling Major Tom.

Heston

Post by Heston »

I think a few people probably have 5 songs primed, it's the lack of clarity and organization that's slowing the thread up.

Sometimes rules can be good.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 8:34pm
I think a few people probably have 5 songs primed, it's the lack of clarity and organization that's slowing the thread up.

I dont know anyone who has expressed an interest but not gone.

Heston

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 8:54pm
Heston wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 8:34pm

I dont know anyone who has expressed an interest but not gone.
Yeah, but the door should have kept revolving, I thought that was the whole point?

Heston

Post by Heston »

Basically it's not hard to tell when someone's picks have all their replies in. 5 days will probably be long enough. Then the next person in line goes. Any latecomers can post their review a bit later. We started off at the rate of two a week, now it's 11 days since Olaf posted the last bunch.