A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wally and I are smiling at how, left on your own, none of y'all can organize water in a glass. :cool:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

gkbill wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 8:29pm
Hello,

I can have some very quickly as well - but not until later tomorrow. Calling Major Tom.
Go for it mate, I'll be listening tonight, need to make up for my absence here.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 9:56pm
Wally and I are smiling at how, left on your own, none of y'all can organize water in a glass. :cool:
Yes but Wally was well into madness and you have just got back from your stay at the asylum. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

I'd like to have a Doc's 5, please.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Olaf wrote:
17 Nov 2020, 11:05am
I'd like to have a Doc's 5, please.
Same, with sprouts.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 9:25pm
Basically it's not hard to tell when someone's picks have all their replies in. 5 days will probably be long enough. Then the next person in line goes. Any latecomers can post their review a bit later. We started off at the rate of two a week, now it's 11 days since Olaf posted the last bunch.
How about post your new 5 on Monday? Go down the list and each person posts their 5 on Monday and people have to Sunday to comment. Then on down the list.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
17 Nov 2020, 1:30pm
Heston wrote:
Basically it's not hard to tell when someone's picks have all their replies in. 5 days will probably be long enough. Then the next person in line goes. Any latecomers can post their review a bit later. We started off at the rate of two a week, now it's 11 days since Olaf posted the last bunch.
How about post your new 5 on Monday? Go down the list and each person posts their 5 on Monday and people have to Sunday to comment. Then on down the list.
Makes more sense than what we have at the moment.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

I have only popped into this thread occasionally, but my lasting impression is that it is some kind of perverse DMV roleplay situation.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

matedog wrote:
17 Nov 2020, 1:30pm
Heston wrote:
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Okay - Doc, post 5. If you don't, I'll submit your email address to a multitude of political and embroidery websites ensuring you receive correspondence from them for years.

I'll go after Doc submits - his 5 as well as to my demands.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Okay, time to destroy all the momentum. You've been warned.

Blankenberge, “We”
Russian shoegaze and one of my favourite new bands. There’s an epic feel to it all, with this ghostly, somewhat distracted voice floating in and out of the destruction. There’s actually not much to the song, just alternating waves of relative quiet and then noise. This hits all my spots.

Album version:

Live-ish version with a more ghostly vocal:

Girls in Synthesis, “We Might Not Make Tomorrow”
Gloriously abrasive. The sound of burning everything down and being done with it. Cathartic as fuck.

Sufjan Stevens, “Tonya Harding”:
It’s a folk song in the most traditional sense, framing “some Portland white trash” as the anti-hero, one of the many small people ruined by larger forces. She was guilty of conspiring against a competitor, certainly, but she was victimized by the public and the media for the crime of seeking respect and success from a class undeserving of that. It’s beautiful and effective in making the listener consider her as a human being, talented and flawed and deserving of our compassion for what she endured. The humanization of a media caricature puts this in the best folk tradition.

Future Silence, “Aliens”
Side group of Shannon Roberts, who sings for one of my favourite new groups, the great noise pop band Star. I love the blend of fuzz bass and strangulated guitar. Star are better overall, but this song is just plain fun.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor, “Mladic”
Okay, this is long, but fuck you, Short-Attention-Span Stan. Some things take as long as they do. My favourite GYBE song from my favourite GYBE album. There’s a hypnotic construction to the piece, with a continual drone as different elements to the composition come in and out. Overall, it’s similar in technique and effect to a lot of Swans since Gira started that up again, with that immersive attitude towards sound. It's about letting it wash over you, dominating yet energizing. This is one of those pieces that I can use to see whether there’s the basis of a friendship—if you love this, yeah, we’re good to go, bud. (If you hate, that’s fine, too. I still love ya, Heston and Tom.)

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Blankenberge - We. Straight in there's no messing about here. Like the chord sequence and the sound of the record. If a fusion of Jonsi and Aphex Twin existed, it'd sound like this which is me saying I like it a lot. Agree there's an epic feel to it with the light vocals complimenting the general noise. Would listen again 8/10.

Girls In Synthesis - We Might Not Make Tomorrow. Good rhythm and that bass sounds naughty, nice opening till the dull vocals come in. Yeah I don't like the voice. Or that chorus, all went a bit strange. Not for me though the verses are musically sound. 5/10.

Sufjan Stevens - Tonya Harding. This is a great example of those songs you have so much time for but are rarely in the right mood to listen to. Hadn't come across the story but was an interesting read/listen. The simplicity of the melody is beautiful and I've really enjoyed it. 8/10.

Future Silence - Aliens. More naughty bass. Really like everything about the song until those weird chord changes! I get it's different but I'm a bit plain Jane with my chord sequences and it doesn't work for me at all. The strange middle section is atmospheric but a bit, strange. The last section, aside from that weird chord change, was fantastic, nice simple guitar noodling over the top was spot on. 6/10

Godspeed You! - Mladic. The length is already putting me off but I'll persevere. 2 minutes in and at last, something other than the drone though it just sounds like multiple cats greeting their owners after too long an absence. This isn't doing much for me. 4 mins, now the school dinner bell is ringing. God I'd hate to listen to this on a hangover. 10 min mark, nothing about this appeals to me now, it's far too long and whatever interest I had faded after 90 seconds. 17 minutes in feels like it's ending but still hasn't, urgh. Never have I meant it more, it's not my bag. 1/10.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I'm getting Swans flashbacks reading Tom's review of the last track.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
17 Nov 2020, 6:43pm
I'm getting Swans flashbacks reading Tom's review of the last track.
:lol: Well …

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Blackenberge - Disaffected vocals only work for me when they're cold, emotionless, and robotic. I couldn't dance to it but I could probably drink to it. Guitar are pretty good. 6/10.

Girls in Synthesis - Reminds me of the Liars, who I generally like. I've seen and heard this before - did you post this here somewhere else? It's pretty good guitar chaos. 8/10.

Sufjan Stevens - It's pretty meh. I would challenge your assessment of Harding (I was in Oregon so I know some other stuff about her). If she has that kind of background and continued to work and improve to overcome figure skating's infrastructure, I'd love her story. Seeking unethical shortcuts doesn't work for me. Okay after that...I'm not big on songs such as this. Are your shoelaces untied? No, they're not. I never played a match without checking my shoelaces. 2/10.

Future Silence - Pretty fun. It's not original (at least, within the genre I'm thinking of as I write) but it percolates along nicely. 7/10.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor. I like parts of the song a lot. Are those parts worth waiting the pretentious droning? No. If I had the editing ability necessary, I could make this into a good track. I've listened to other tracks by these guys and most are the same as above - and I'm pretty sure the exclamation point has been (pretentiously) misplaced on purpose - if it's a typo, well, okay. 5/10.