A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

General music discussion.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Nov 2020, 4:38pm
Okay, time to destroy all the momentum. You've been warned.

Blankenberge, “We”
Russian shoegaze and one of my favourite new bands. There’s an epic feel to it all, with this ghostly, somewhat distracted voice floating in and out of the destruction. There’s actually not much to the song, just alternating waves of relative quiet and then noise. This hits all my spots.

Album version:

Live-ish version with a more ghostly vocal:

I enjoyed this it reminded me a lot of the early Telescopes. Good start 7/10

Girls in Synthesis, “We Might Not Make Tomorrow”
Gloriously abrasive. The sound of burning everything down and being done with it. Cathartic as fuck.

great noise and energy 8/19

Sufjan Stevens, “Tonya Harding”:
It’s a folk song in the most traditional sense, framing “some Portland white trash” as the anti-hero, one of the many small people ruined by larger forces. She was guilty of conspiring against a competitor, certainly, but she was victimized by the public and the media for the crime of seeking respect and success from a class undeserving of that. It’s beautiful and effective in making the listener consider her as a human being, talented and flawed and deserving of our compassion for what she endured. The humanization of a media caricature puts this in the best folk tradition.

Not my bag this one but that said I didn't dislike it either. 4/10

Future Silence, “Aliens”
Side group of Shannon Roberts, who sings for one of my favourite new groups, the great noise pop band Star. I love the blend of fuzz bass and strangulated guitar. Star are better overall, but this song is just plain fun.

Great stuff love the energy and the vocal. If I have one complaint and it's a small one. They should've used the bass drum as well as the snare as it would've made the sound a little less thin/brittle. 8/10

Godspeed You! Black Emperor, “Mladic”
Okay, this is long, but fuck you, Short-Attention-Span Stan. Some things take as long as they do. My favourite GYBE song from my favourite GYBE album. There’s a hypnotic construction to the piece, with a continual drone as different elements to the composition come in and out. Overall, it’s similar in technique and effect to a lot of Swans since Gira started that up again, with that immersive attitude towards sound. It's about letting it wash over you, dominating yet energizing. This is one of those pieces that I can use to see whether there’s the basis of a friendship—if you love this, yeah, we’re good to go, bud. (If you hate, that’s fine, too. I still love ya, Heston and Tom.)

I would be happy with a three minute version of this. Too much over 19 mins for me as any impact is lost. 6/10

Mostly good to great here doc.👍

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
19 Nov 2020, 7:08pm
I would be happy with a three minute version of this. Too much over 19 mins for me as any impact is lost. 6/10
But which three minutes?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Nov 2020, 7:52pm
Marky Dread wrote:
But which three minutes?
Okay make it 4 mins from around the 7 min mark to the 11 min mark.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
19 Nov 2020, 8:17pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
But which three minutes?
I knew you'd say that. I argue that that part, where they're most obviously rock, works because of the drone build-up.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Nov 2020, 8:24pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
But which three minutes?
I knew you'd say that. I argue that that part, where they're most obviously rock, works because of the drone build-up.
I get the impact from the build up. However i could take those 4 mins and fade up the first 30 secs to a minute and obtain the same effect.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
19 Nov 2020, 8:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
But which three minutes?
I get the impact from the build up. However i could take those 4 mins and fade up the first 30 secs to a minute and obtain the same effect.
Philistine! ;)

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Nov 2020, 8:40pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

But which three minutes?
Philistine! ;)
That's Mr. Philistine to you! :mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
19 Nov 2020, 8:45pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Philistine! ;)
Only because I respect you.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Nov 2020, 8:59pm
Marky Dread wrote:
19 Nov 2020, 8:45pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Philistine! ;)
Only because I respect you.
At last! My work here is finally paying off. :twitch:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Nov 2020, 5:31pm
Olaf wrote:
19 Nov 2020, 5:17pm
Not what I would usually listen to, but like that 40 min. Swans song, I did enjoy the experience. When the song got going after six or seven minutes, it reminded me a bit of Plastic Surgery Disasters-era DK, which is a good thing I guess. Didn't need the three or four false endings though. 5/10
Huh. I never would have thought that. It seems like 70s hard rock to me, with a more orchestral spin. I've long thought that they sound like descendents of the Velvet Underground.
Or maybe I'm thinking of Frankenchrist? The guitar that sets in around the 9 min. mark definitely has a DK feel to it.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Olaf wrote:
20 Nov 2020, 11:22am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Nov 2020, 5:31pm
Olaf wrote:
19 Nov 2020, 5:17pm
Not what I would usually listen to, but like that 40 min. Swans song, I did enjoy the experience. When the song got going after six or seven minutes, it reminded me a bit of Plastic Surgery Disasters-era DK, which is a good thing I guess. Didn't need the three or four false endings though. 5/10
Huh. I never would have thought that. It seems like 70s hard rock to me, with a more orchestral spin. I've long thought that they sound like descendents of the Velvet Underground.
Or maybe I'm thinking of Frankenchrist? The guitar that sets in around the 9 min. mark definitely has a DK feel to it.
Where it evokes an Arabic sound (I don't quite know how to describe it)? The whole thing as a kind majestic, bombastic feel to me, which isn't what I get with DK. I'll spin Frankenchrist today and see if I can locate that sound.

edit: Listened to Frankenchrist and I think I hear what you're referring to—a guitar tone, if that's the right term. I still wouldn't think to connect the two, but that's why I don't command an army of raccoons.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Blankenberge, “We” 7/10
Got to say, I prefer the album version to the live-ish one. Maybe I'm not really ready for the 5 minute intro yet. I like how the voice could be considered like one of the instruments.

Girls in Synthesis, “We Might Not Make Tomorrow” 7.5/10
Sounds to me like fuzzy Wire. I liked it without it really grabbing me, maybe because I hear a lot of influences in there.

Sufjan Stevens, “Tonya Harding” 8/10
On the advice of a friend I listened to Carrie and Lowell but didn't connect with it, probably because I listened once while working and probably went back to one of my staples. This one though, I really like. The electronic/folk hybrid kind of reminds me of Lost in Space by Aimee Mann, which I love. I may have to revisit some of his catalogue.

Future Silence, “Aliens” 9/10
Love this. The sort of thing I used to actively seek out. I must be getting old, because now I wait for it to find me. Glad it did though.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor, “Mladic” 7/10
I'm not sure how I'm supposed to listen to this. Do I sit in an armchair with headphones on in a darkened room to take it all in or do I have it as semi-background music? Not going to lie, I chose the latter but I kind of want to try the former. I suspect though that having one of my cats jump on me (which they inevitably do if I ever sit in an armchair) might take me out of my concentration.
At first I was a little intimidated by the 20 minute run time but you kind of embrace it after a few minutes and around 7 minutes I am, like you said, kind of immersed. I was a little concerned it might go into pompous heavy metal (the guitar part at 17:54 for example) but it stayed on the non-spandex side of things (and I do realise it's a little unfair to take 30 seconds out of context in a 20 minute song.)

Lowest score is 7/10... some of the stuff I like doesn't even reach 7/10
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

oliver wrote:
20 Nov 2020, 8:34pm
Blankenberge, “We” 7/10
Got to say, I prefer the album version to the live-ish one. Maybe I'm not really ready for the 5 minute intro yet. I like how the voice could be considered like one of the instruments.
The live-ish one is actually three songs. I thought I'd set the time to start at "We." Start at around 5 mins.
Sufjan Stevens, “Tonya Harding” 8/10
On the advice of a friend I listened to Carrie and Lowell but didn't connect with it, probably because I listened once while working and probably went back to one of my staples. This one though, I really like. The electronic/folk hybrid kind of reminds me of Lost in Space by Aimee Mann, which I love. I may have to revisit some of his catalogue.
It's a very mixed bag. There's plenty of his stuff that really ain't for me. Carrie and Lowell, tho, is one that does grab my heart and twists.
Future Silence, “Aliens” 9/10
Love this. The sort of thing I used to actively seek out. I must be getting old, because now I wait for it to find me. Glad it did though.
Check out the band Star *wink wink*.
Godspeed You! Black Emperor, “Mladic” 7/10
I'm not sure how I'm supposed to listen to this. Do I sit in an armchair with headphones on in a darkened room to take it all in or do I have it as semi-background music? Not going to lie, I chose the latter but I kind of want to try the former. I suspect though that having one of my cats jump on me (which they inevitably do if I ever sit in an armchair) might take me out of my concentration.
Ha! I've wondered the same re. the environment for listening. It's most background music for me now because I've listened so many times, but earlier it was concentrated listening.
At first I was a little intimidated by the 20 minute run time but you kind of embrace it after a few minutes and around 7 minutes I am, like you said, kind of immersed. I was a little concerned it might go into pompous heavy metal (the guitar part at 17:54 for example) but it stayed on the non-spandex side of things (and I do realise it's a little unfair to take 30 seconds out of context in a 20 minute song.)
I'm glad that it washed over you. That was the hope. It's not for everyone—and believe me, I don't roll my eyes at anyone who doesn't have the tolerance or interest in that approach—but it's transcendent stuff if you sync up to it.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Im going to try and knock the last 3 tomorrow

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
20 Nov 2020, 10:15pm
Im going to try and knock the last 3 tomorrow
I'm on Doc's at some point, just trying to find time to take them into the lab.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board