Furloughed...

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: Furloughed...

Post by WestwayKid »

I just had my furlough extended for the 3rd time. It will now last until August 10th. I have not worked since April 9th. I get to keep my health insurance and the extra pandemic relief money provided by the Feds makes up for my lost wages, but that expires on July 25th. I'll only be getting state unemployment the final 2 weeks...which means I'll only be making about half of what I'd get if I was working. I'll just have to save as much as I can.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

WestwayKid wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 6:17pm
I just had my furlough extended for the 3rd time. It will now last until August 10th. I have not worked since April 9th. I get to keep my health insurance and the extra pandemic relief money provided by the Feds makes up for my lost wages, but that expires on July 25th. I'll only be getting state unemployment the final 2 weeks...which means I'll only be making about half of what I'd get if I was working. I'll just have to save as much as I can.
Hang in there man.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
Did you pursue any of that coding learnings that you'd considered?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 6:25pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Yes. I been working on learning HTML and CSS. I really focused on it the first part of my furlough when it was still cold outside. I’m at the point where I feel comfortable including it as a skill on my resume.

I am going to be more proactive this round in seeing what else is out there. I’m just not feeling great about how things are going down.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 4:34am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 6:25pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Yes. I been working on learning HTML and CSS. I really focused on it the first part of my furlough when it was still cold outside. I’m at the point where I feel comfortable including it as a skill on my resume.

I am going to be more proactive this round in seeing what else is out there. I’m just not feeling great about how things are going down.
Glad to hear that you used the downtime to expand your skills and opportunities.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I'm back at it on Monday.

My job emailed me on Tuesday.

No working from home (sadly). Everyone is back in the office. We have to wear masks when we're away from our desks, but while working at my computer I won't need one.

A lot of feelings about going back. I've enjoyed this paid time off. I've spent a lot of time with my kids and my partner. I got a lot of awesome projects done around the house. I've stayed up late and then slept late the next morning. Lots of day drinking.

It was nice being my own boss, but I also know it couldn't have lasted forever. Federal unemployment kicker ends on 7/25...so after that point I would have been making less than my paycheck every week.

It will feel weird going back. I haven't seen (or heard from) any of my co-workers for over 3 months.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

WestwayKid wrote:
15 Jul 2020, 6:00pm
I haven't seen (or heard from) any of my co-workers for over 3 months.
They all got fat. Congrats....kinda! I was mad when they sent me home in March and I was mad when they asked me back in May!
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

WestwayKid wrote:

No working from home (sadly). Everyone is back in the office. We have to wear masks when we're away from our desks, but while working at my computer I won't need one.

A lot of feelings about going back. I've enjoyed this paid time off. I've spent a lot of time with my kids and my partner. I got a lot of awesome projects done around the house. I've stayed up late and then slept late the next morning. Lots of day drinking.

It was nice being my own boss, but I also know it couldn't have lasted forever. Federal unemployment kicker ends on 7/25...so after that point I would have been making less than my paycheck every week.

It will feel weird going back. I haven't seen (or heard from) any of my co-workers for over 3 months.
Yep that sounds very weird but I suspect 5 mins in snd everything will be back to normal! It is the commute that will be the killler such a waste of time, how long is yours?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

WestwayKid wrote:

Well congrats. It is nice that you made good use of your time off.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
Very glad that your position survived the turmoil. I basically work at home most of the time anyway, but the Boss has gone from missing the clear separation between her work life at her office and her home life with me, to kinda dreading going back in (supposedly they're going to let more people back on campus in the next couple weeks).

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

101Walterton wrote:
15 Jul 2020, 6:20pm
WestwayKid wrote:

Yep that sounds very weird but I suspect 5 mins in snd everything will be back to normal! It is the commute that will be the killler such a waste of time, how long is yours?
20 minutes, but it’s not a bad drive.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

WestwayKid wrote:
16 Jul 2020, 9:50am
101Walterton wrote:
15 Jul 2020, 6:20pm
WestwayKid wrote:

20 minutes, but it’s not a bad drive.
A 20 to 30 min drive to and from work can be nice. I listen to news or music. It can be a great way to decompress after work or ease yourself into work.

JoseUnidos
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JoseUnidos »

Today's a good news/bad news kind of day. Good news - my furlough is over. Bad news - my position's been eliminated and I'm out of a job.
In space no one can hear you clash!
https://www.rmillerthings.com/

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

JoseUnidos wrote:
19 Nov 2020, 8:58pm
Today's a good news/bad news kind of day. Good news - my furlough is over. Bad news - my position's been eliminated and I'm out of a job.
Hello,

Sorry to learn this.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JoseUnidos wrote:
19 Nov 2020, 8:58pm
Shit, man, so sorry to hear that. Are there alternate job possibilities immediately apparent?