Politics and other such topical creams.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Election Thread To Talk About The Election

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
09 Nov 2020, 4:52pm
My mom posted this fun pasta:
****I am making this post so it will show back up as a future memory on my timeline:
Today is four days after the 2020 election. Gasoline is currently $2.23 per gallon at Q-T. Interest rates are 2.99% for a 30 year mortgage. The stock market closed at 28,390.18, even though we have been fighting COVID for 9 months. Our GDP growth for the 3rd Qtr was 33%. We had the best economy ever until COVID and it is recovering well. We have not had any new wars or conflicts in the last 4 years. North Korea has been under control and has not been testing any missiles. Isis has not been heard from for over 3 years. The housing market is the strongest in over 20 years without any mortgage fraud (like in 2007). Homes have appreciated at an unbelievable rate and sell within hours of going on the market, with multiple offers. In case our President actually loses this election then I can remind everyone of how great things were economically at one point in our history.
Keep a copy to compare later. 11-7-2020

Copy and paste with your local gas cost
Yay, our happiness should be quantified! Hyperbole is also persuasive!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Kory wrote:
****I am making this post so it will show back up as a future memory on my timeline:
Today is four days after the 2020 election. Gasoline is currently $2.23 per gallon at Q-T. Interest rates are 2.99% for a 30 year mortgage. The stock market closed at 28,390.18, even though we have been fighting COVID for 9 months. Our GDP growth for the 3rd Qtr was 33%. We had the best economy ever until COVID and it is recovering well. We have not had any new wars or conflicts in the last 4 years. North Korea has been under control and has not been testing any missiles. Isis has not been heard from for over 3 years. The housing market is the strongest in over 20 years without any mortgage fraud (like in 2007). Homes have appreciated at an unbelievable rate and sell within hours of going on the market, with multiple offers. In case our President actually loses this election then I can remind everyone of how great things were economically at one point in our history.

I never understood the obsession with gas prices. I get that it's a very public price, you see it driving around, but it's not a huge component of cost of living.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
09 Nov 2020, 5:44pm
Kory wrote:

I never understood the obsession with gas prices. I get that it's a very public price, you see it driving around, but it's not a huge component of cost of living.
I'm resisting the urge to remind her that when her boy Bush was in office, gas prices were double what's cited here.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Kory wrote:

Basic Info. Boston Retail Gas Price is at a current level of 2.161, down from 2.167 last week and down from 2.652 one year ago. This is a change of -0.28% from last week and -18.51% from one year ago.

Also: Median home prices increased 121% nationwide since 1960, but median household income only increased 29%.

Fuck you, elders.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Ah, there we go: Soros is behind it all. Thanks for not letting down the team, Newt.
https://www.haaretz.com/jewish/gingrich ... -1.9297734
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Nov 2020, 12:58pm
Ah, there we go: Soros is behind it all. Thanks for not letting down the team, Newt.
https://www.haaretz.com/jewish/gingrich ... -1.9297734
Always!
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

BostonBeaneater

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
18 Nov 2020, 12:54am
Nice one.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
18 Nov 2020, 12:54am
A FB friend posted this on FB.

It's epic!
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Kory wrote:
. The housing market is the strongest in over 20 years without any mortgage fraud (like in 2007). Homes have appreciated at an unbelievable rate and sell within hours of going on the market, with multiple offers.
My wife and I are actually seriously considering selling our house, nice to know it's going to sell in a few hours!
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

tepista wrote:
18 Nov 2020, 4:49pm
Kory wrote:
. The housing market is the strongest in over 20 years without any mortgage fraud (like in 2007). Homes have appreciated at an unbelievable rate and sell within hours of going on the market, with multiple offers.
My wife and I are actually seriously considering selling our house, nice to know it's going to sell in a few hours!
Yeah, that's got to be a load off.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I have to admit, this election stuff is starting to get to me. As much as I can rationally say Trump and his cronies can't overturn the results, I can't shake the idea, either. I don't trust the GOP. They are a radical and dishonest party (in my opinion) and I can't rule out that they wouldn't try every last card in their deck.

With their lawsuit approach now withering, it appears they're going after the elector angle with the idea that they can get state legislatures to install their own electors to flip states.

It feels insane to even type... and maybe I am falling victim to the 24 hour news cycle where this stuff is being played up like it could happen just to keep my attention, but I'm feeling rattled.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

BostonBeaneater

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
20 Nov 2020, 2:52pm
Christ but that's depressing.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
20 Nov 2020, 2:03pm
I have to admit, this election stuff is starting to get to me. As much as I can rationally say Trump and his cronies can't overturn the results, I can't shake the idea, either. I don't trust the GOP. They are a radical and dishonest party (in my opinion) and I can't rule out that they wouldn't try every last card in their deck.

With their lawsuit approach now withering, it appears they're going after the elector angle with the idea that they can get state legislatures to install their own electors to flip states.

It feels insane to even type... and maybe I am falling victim to the 24 hour news cycle where this stuff is being played up like it could happen just to keep my attention, but I'm feeling rattled.
If you're looking for something to assuage your anxieties, there's this analysis of how unlikely any of this is: https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/ ... -election/