A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

General music discussion.
oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

Post by oliver »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Nov 2020, 8:54pm
The live-ish one is actually three songs. I thought I'd set the time to start at "We." Start at around 5 mins.
You probably did because the the first time I thought that was a quick 9 minutes but on repeated listens I just hit the 'replay' thing and it went to the start.

I've probably mentioned this multiple times but I wanted to visit CBGBs before it closed and the day I went it was a death metal show. I honestly didn't even notice that we'd switched from support to headliner so I'm not surprised I didn't recognize multiple songs ;)
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Nov 2020, 11:59am
Olaf wrote:
20 Nov 2020, 11:22am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Nov 2020, 5:31pm
Olaf wrote:
19 Nov 2020, 5:17pm
Godspeed You! Black Emperor, “Mladic”
Not what I would usually listen to, but like that 40 min. Swans song, I did enjoy the experience. When the song got going after six or seven minutes, it reminded me a bit of Plastic Surgery Disasters-era DK, which is a good thing I guess. Didn't need the three or four false endings though. 5/10
Huh. I never would have thought that. It seems like 70s hard rock to me, with a more orchestral spin. I've long thought that they sound like descendents of the Velvet Underground.
Or maybe I'm thinking of Frankenchrist? The guitar that sets in around the 9 min. mark definitely has a DK feel to it.
Where it evokes an Arabic sound (I don't quite know how to describe it)? The whole thing as a kind majestic, bombastic feel to me, which isn't what I get with DK. I'll spin Frankenchrist today and see if I can locate that sound.

edit: Listened to Frankenchrist and I think I hear what you're referring to—a guitar tone, if that's the right term. I still wouldn't think to connect the two, but that's why I don't command an army of raccoons.
And that's the only reason really.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

tepista wrote:
19 Nov 2020, 5:33pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
tepista wrote:
19 Nov 2020, 5:29pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Nov 2020, 5:27pm
tepista wrote:
19 Nov 2020, 5:21pm

I wonder if they took their name from Bowie lyrics (Ashes to Ashes)
Too much of a coincidence not to.
Well I know Sufjan Stevens did. "don't lean on me, man...I'm back from Sufijan Stevens"
Boo!
I never quit when I'm ahead.
Bet they loved you in Vegas.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

oliver wrote:
21 Nov 2020, 10:13am
I've probably mentioned this multiple times but I wanted to visit CBGBs before it closed and the day I went it was a death metal show. I honestly didn't even notice that we'd switched from support to headliner so I'm not surprised I didn't recognize multiple songs ;)
The important thing is that you had a lovely time!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Olaf wrote:
21 Nov 2020, 11:58am
tepista wrote:
19 Nov 2020, 5:33pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
tepista wrote:
19 Nov 2020, 5:29pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Nov 2020, 5:27pm

Too much of a coincidence not to.
Well I know Sufjan Stevens did. "don't lean on me, man...I'm back from Sufijan Stevens"
Boo!
I never quit when I'm ahead.
Bet they loved you in Vegas.
ugh, i have more examples of that than i can even remember
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I suspect that that wraps up the commentary for my contribution. Thanks to everyone who dared and perhaps suffered—I appreciate sacrificing your time (and proving me wrong that I'd kill the game). As is the way with this thread, I have no idea who goes next.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Nov 2020, 7:13pm
I suspect that that wraps up the commentary for my contribution. Thanks to everyone who dared and perhaps suffered—I appreciate sacrificing your time (and proving me wrong that I'd kill the game). As is the way with this thread, I have no idea who goes next.
I will post my review at some point tomorrow, had an insanely busy weekend.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

In before the deadline?

Blankenberge, “We”
I casually got into shoegaze in the mid to late aughts (like Asobi Seksu), but haven't listened much lately. This reminds me of a lot of the better stuff. I like it about as much as I like the genre which is a moderate amount. Good example of the style with some solid melodies, drumming, textures, etc. throughout. 6/10

Girls in Synthesis, “We Might Not Make Tomorrow”
Is a Killing Joke comparison apt? Another genre I like, don't love, but this is well done. An energetic performance will get you far in my book. 6/10

Sufjan Stevens, “Tonya Harding”:
Good observation about the folk tradition. I do like the drum machine and keyboards as a different approach. Sufjan is another person I've heard a ton about forever, but never really dove in. This is good, but the subject matter isn't super engaging to me. 6/10

Future Silence, “Aliens”
I probably like this the best of the bunch. Fuzz bass, strong hooks, and a few odd chords thrown in for good measure. 7/10

Godspeed You! Black Emperor, “Mladic”
I remember getting into Explosions in the Sky back in college to impress a girl and the hipsters at my college radio station kinda brushed them off as a lesser Godspeed. So another band I've heard about forever, but never really dove into. This is NOT like Explosions. Another one I like, but haven't spent enough time before the deadline to fully analyze. It's not particularly dynamic once the main part kicks in, everything is pretty much F/FF, but that's okay. The music does ebb/flow/swell throughout. Not something I'm going to seek out with any level of regularity, but I like it. 6/10.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
23 Nov 2020, 10:38am
Girls in Synthesis, “We Might Not Make Tomorrow”
Is a Killing Joke comparison apt? Another genre I like, don't love, but this is well done. An energetic performance will get you far in my book. 6/10
I honestly don't know how I'd categorize or compare them. Not really post-hardcore or no wave or post-rock, but those are probably the closest genre connections. Is "Heston poison" a genre?

Thanks for listening and for your observations!

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
As is the way with this thread, I have no idea who goes next.
Hello,

gkbill?

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Olaf wrote:
23 Nov 2020, 12:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hello,

gkbill?
Hello,

This thread is from Tom. Tom goes first, so what have you got for us, Tom?

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

gkbill wrote:
23 Nov 2020, 1:39pm
Olaf wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hello,

gkbill?
Hello,

Oh I've got some crap tunes to post. Will do tomorrow if we're all done with the Doc's choices?

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

BitterTom wrote:
23 Nov 2020, 6:02pm
gkbill wrote:
Olaf wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hello,

gkbill?
Hello,

Oh I've got some crap tunes to post. Will do tomorrow if we're all done with the Doc's choices?
I'm yet to do Doc's but crack on, I'll review both together.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
23 Nov 2020, 6:07pm
BitterTom wrote:
23 Nov 2020, 6:02pm
gkbill wrote:
Olaf wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hello,

gkbill?
Hello,

I'm yet to do Doc's but crack on, I'll review both together.
Im way behind this semester. I may have to just say I hate all of it to catch up.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Wir müssen hier raus - Ton Steine Scherben 6/10
This is pleasingly ramshackle. The vocals are a little on the unsophisticated side, but this is probably good for some saturday night listenin'. I like the rawness.

Hoffentlich ja - Die Profis 6/10
I thought this was The Cars for a minute. I could see this being good fun to see live and get plastered and yell along with the band.

Goldener Reiter - Joachim Witt 8/10
A theme I'm noticing is that Germans seem to like their guitars a little thin and and in the background a bit. I dig the female (?) vocals and guitar delay n the chorus. The song itself is pleasantly weird, I'd be interested in checking more of this out.

Jerusalem - Spliff 8/10
80s cop show theme song reggae. Interesting take on the genre. Another thin production (not a negative, necessarily)—I wonder what that comes from? Is it just this clutch of songs, coincidentally, or it is a big trend over there?

Alles Neu - Peter Fox 7/10
Very weird. Unlike the others, I can't think of any analogue for this sound in NA. I'm a big cello fan, so that ticks a box for me. I could see this getting stuck in my head for a while.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc