The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

General music discussion.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 7:30pm
My class is discussing a book on new wave tomorrow, so I'm checking out some early videos by some of the bands. Jesus Christ but early B-52s were visually compelling. This is equal parts arty craziness and playfully cool. It's such a fuck-you to rock seriousness, including punk anger. More and more, I can't help but think that what was happening on the American side of early punk was so much more interesting and thought-provoking, even if it's the UK stuff that changed my life.

Fantastic band fantastic track. But no way do I agree with your assessment that the USA was making more interesting and thought provoking stuff. Rock Lobster was released in 1978 and there was a shit ton of great thought provoking bands making new wave/punk music.

Magazine/PiL/The Only Ones/X-ray Spex/The Slits/Echo & The Bunnymen/Siouxsie & The Banshees/Teardrop Explodes ...to name just a few as the list is endless.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
22 Nov 2020, 6:47pm
Fantastic band fantastic track. But no way do I agree with your assessment that the USA was making more interesting and thought provoking stuff. Rock Lobster was released in 1978 and there was a shit ton of great thought provoking bands making new wave/punk music.

Magazine/PiL/The Only Ones/X-ray Spex/The Slits/Echo & The Bunnymen/Siouxsie & The Banshees/Teardrop Explodes ...to name just a few as the list is endless.
That's all aesthetics, and I agree that they're great bands, most of whom I'd rather listen to. What I mean is that the US was producing more interesting bands that were operating on full concepts, such as Devo, B-52's, Suicide, or Teenage Jesus and the Jerks. They weren't just making music, but engaged in deliberate critiques of music, contemporary life, and consumption. UK bands, with a few examples (Cabaret Voltaire comes to mind), may have done so on particular songs, but they weren't performing that kind of conceptual work. That's what I mean about the US being more interesting to me—there's a greater sense that many of those bands existed for reasons beyond just music.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Nov 2020, 7:03pm
Marky Dread wrote:

That's all aesthetics, and I agree that they're great bands, most of whom I'd rather listen to. What I mean is that the US was producing more interesting bands that were operating on full concepts, such as Devo, B-52's, Suicide, or Teenage Jesus and the Jerks. They weren't just making music, but engaged in deliberate critiques of music, contemporary life, and consumption. UK bands, with a few examples (Cabaret Voltaire comes to mind), may have done so on particular songs, but they weren't performing that kind of conceptual work. That's what I mean about the US being more interesting to me—there's a greater sense that many of those bands existed for reasons beyond just music.
Swell Maps/Mekons/The Television Personalities/Crass ...all spring to mind.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
22 Nov 2020, 7:34pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I'm not suggesting a binary, where one side had it all, only that the American side produced more conceptually interesting groups. Clearly, ymmv, but I find the US side is more intellectually stimulating, even tho more often than not my ears are drawn to the UK.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Nov 2020, 7:56pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I'm not suggesting a binary, where one side had it all, only that the American side produced more conceptually interesting groups. Clearly, ymmv, but I find the US side is more intellectually stimulating, even tho more often than not my ears are drawn to the UK.
Yeah sure I get that it's not a competition only that groups both sides of the pond were producing thought provoking stuff. Bands like Throbbing Gristle surely fit this description.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
22 Nov 2020, 8:02pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Yeah sure I get that it's not a competition only that groups both sides of the pond were producing thought provoking stuff. Bands like Throbbing Gristle surely fit this description.
Yup, TG (along with CabVol) fit the kind of stuff I'm talking about. Speaking of, I see Cabaret Voltaire released a new record. Haven't heard it, tho.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Nov 2020, 8:13pm
Marky Dread wrote:
22 Nov 2020, 8:02pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Yup, TG (along with CabVol) fit the kind of stuff I'm talking about. Speaking of, I see Cabaret Voltaire released a new record. Haven't heard it, tho.
Yeah there's a magazine over here called Electronic Sound that comes out monthly this months single was the Cabs. Not heard it though either. Looking forward to hearing the album I hope it isn't like their dance stuff though. It's on order.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

From Momus' new album about life in a pandemic.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

This is entertaining. I'm surprised more haven't done reggae versions of Ramones tunes - lots of scenes from Rock 'n' Roll High School as a bonus.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

gkbill wrote:
29 Nov 2020, 1:12am
Hello,

This is entertaining. I'm surprised more haven't done reggae versions of Ramones tunes - lots of scenes from Rock 'n' Roll High School as a bonus.

That was fun. Of course The Clash used a lyric from Blitzkrieg Bop to start Police & Thieves. "We're going through a tight wind".

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Obvious Baba O'riley steal for the intro and a bastardized version of the Satisfaction riff. Still good fun track.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

English Folk doesn't get talked about enough on here. Fans of the Wicker Man might like this....

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 8:10pm
English Folk doesn't get talked about enough on here. Fans of the Wicker Man might like this....

I remember this track. I've always hated it. Sort of shit you can Morris dance to. :meh:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 8:19pm
Heston wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 8:10pm

I remember this track. I've always hated it. Sort of shit you can Morris dance to. :meh:
I love Morris dancing. Especially when it sounds like Status Quo are doing the backing track.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

I need to cleanse my soul after that fucking awful Steelye Span bollocks!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia