Hey limeys

Politics and other such topical creams.
JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: Hey limeys

Post by JohnS »

BitterTom wrote:
03 Dec 2020, 2:15am
Agree with chips and curry sauce (though I'd prefer cheese & gravy) but when fish gets involved it's tartar sauce and nothing else.
I went to Hull a few years ago for the first time (for a Mick Ronson fan club weekend), and all the chip shops there do 'cheesy chips' - something I'd never even consider combining, but it worked really well. Especially after the pub shut.
And a curious thing, most Brits call a fish & chip shop the 'chippy' but my Dad was brought up calling it the 'fishy' - is that peculiar to the North East? Or was it just his family being awkward?!
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

JohnS wrote:
03 Dec 2020, 5:58am
BitterTom wrote:
Agree with chips and curry sauce (though I'd prefer cheese & gravy) but when fish gets involved it's tartar sauce and nothing else.
I went to Hull a few years ago for the first time (for a Mick Ronson fan club weekend), and all the chip shops there do 'cheesy chips' - something I'd never even consider combining, but it worked really well. Especially after the pub shut.
And a curious thing, most Brits call a fish & chip shop the 'chippy' but my Dad was brought up calling it the 'fishy' - is that peculiar to the North East? Or was it just his family being awkward?!
We sometimes use fishy but chippy is more common.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

"You'd get your head kicked in and then stabbed 23 times in the theatre of Pompey if you called it nosh-up where I grew up." This country's weird.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JohnS wrote:
03 Dec 2020, 5:48am
Marky Dread wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 9:57pm
It's the opposite with me, I hate the word lunch. Even just the sound of the word annoys me.
"Let's do lunch"
Fuck off!
Absolutely, Marky! (if 'absolutely' isn't too annoying either :mrgreen: ) Couldn't agree more.

For me, fish & chips has to come with mushy peas, and of course salt and plenty of vinegar. Adding tartare sauce or maybe tomato ketchup is OK but not essential.
The plate just doesn't look complete without that splodge of green on it somewhere.
Not 'arf mate. :mrgreen: Plus mushy peas are manna.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Can we all agree that pea-wet is an abomination?
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

tosh133
Corner Soul

Post by tosh133 »

oliver wrote:
03 Dec 2020, 9:51am
Can we all agree that pea-wet is an abomination?
Had to look that up - people from Wigan are odd.

Peawack on the other hand is a great cold weather dish.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

JohnS wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Cheesy chips are great but gravy takes it to that next level.

Never heard 'fishy' must be a NE thing, always been chippy, nothing else where I've lived.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

BitterTom wrote:
03 Dec 2020, 4:17pm
JohnS wrote:
BitterTom wrote:

Never heard 'fishy' must be a NE thing, always been chippy, nothing else where I've lived.
This sounds a lot like poutine. What kind of cheese do they use?

Poutine (when done right) is fantastic: hand cut fries, fresh cheese curds, and brown gravy. Should be served piping hot.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

WestwayKid wrote:
03 Dec 2020, 4:32pm
BitterTom wrote:
JohnS wrote:
BitterTom wrote:

Poutine (when done right) is fantastic: hand cut fries, fresh cheese curds, and brown gravy. Should be served piping hot.
Yeah good poutine is about the best.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

revbob wrote:
03 Dec 2020, 11:27pm
WestwayKid wrote:
03 Dec 2020, 4:32pm
BitterTom wrote:
JohnS wrote:
BitterTom wrote:

Yeah good poutine is about the best.
It's become somewhat trendy and I've seen it on local menus, but too often they try and get fancy with it. The basic formula is already perfect and there is no need to mess with it.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

The Policing bill and cops attacks on protesters getting any play abroad?

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
27 Mar 2021, 9:02am
Are you speaking about the young woman suspected of being murdered by a cop while walking home? If so, no, I haven't seen much about it outside of the usual UK media sources.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Mar 2021, 12:50pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Are you speaking about the young woman suspected of being murdered by a cop while walking home? If so, no, I haven't seen much about it outside of the usual UK media sources.
Bristol's had about a week of protests against the bill which seeks to limit the right to protest, criminalise travellers, among other things. The police have been cracking heads, punching people sat on some grass chanting "Peaceful Protest." Some hyper-authoritarian scenes, with the cops' claims of having had bones broken and lungs fractured by protesters lasting a news cycle before then quietly admitting that nothing like that happened.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
27 Mar 2021, 1:18pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Mar 2021, 12:50pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Bristol's had about a week of protests against the bill which seeks to limit the right to protest, criminalise travellers, among other things. The police have been cracking heads, punching people sat on some grass chanting "Peaceful Protest." Some hyper-authoritarian scenes, with the cops' claims of having had bones broken and lungs fractured by protesters lasting a news cycle before then quietly admitting that nothing like that happened.
Okay, nope, I've seen nothing of the like in the media here. Which is strange, given that the media is all ultra radical super left wing and blue lives don't matter and shit.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft