What Are you Eating Right Now?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Re: What Are you Eating Right Now?

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Kimmelweck wrote:
03 Dec 2020, 6:08pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
03 Dec 2020, 5:57pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
03 Dec 2020, 5:51pm
While on the subject of fish, I caught these little beauties a few weeks ago about a mile from home. They’re waiting in the freezer and should make a nice mid-winter snack. :approve:

YellowPerch1.jpg
How do you cook them? I like this kind of fish splayed on the grill.
I fillet them, dip in egg and roll in flour or maybe Italian bread crumbs. Then I fry them in a bit of oil. Nothing fancy. I should try grilling them some time.
Do you strip and debone or just fry the whole thing minus the guts?

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Kimmelweck wrote:
03 Dec 2020, 5:27pm
Heston wrote:
03 Dec 2020, 4:31pm
BitterTom wrote:
03 Dec 2020, 4:13pm
Heston wrote:
03 Dec 2020, 4:06pm
After all the talk in the other thread I had to have fish and chips tonight...

20201203_161321.jpg
Bonus points for extra vinegar.
She put loads on in the shop but I put more on for luck. Loads of batter on as well.
That looks great. I had a fish fry last week that looked identical aside from the green stuff. Went great with tartar sauce, and also included a huge portion of cole slaw. Is that haddock? That's what is usually available around here for take-out Friday fish fry.
It's cod mate. I do like haddock as well though.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
03 Dec 2020, 6:21pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
03 Dec 2020, 6:08pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
03 Dec 2020, 5:57pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
03 Dec 2020, 5:51pm
While on the subject of fish, I caught these little beauties a few weeks ago about a mile from home. They’re waiting in the freezer and should make a nice mid-winter snack. :approve:

YellowPerch1.jpg
How do you cook them? I like this kind of fish splayed on the grill.
I fillet them, dip in egg and roll in flour or maybe Italian bread crumbs. Then I fry them in a bit of oil. Nothing fancy. I should try grilling them some time.
Do you strip and debone or just fry the whole thing minus the guts?
I just fry them up as boneless, skinless fillets. It's been a while since I kept any fish I've caught for eating, but I couldn't pass these up. In my opinion they are the best tasting freshwater fish around, alongside walleye.

Now with a pan-sized trout, on the other hand, I just cut off the head, hollow out and rinse the gut cavity, and stuff them with croutons and a bit of butter. Then they'd get sandwiched between lemon slices, wrapped in foil, and either grilled or baked.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Heston wrote:
03 Dec 2020, 6:25pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
03 Dec 2020, 5:27pm
Heston wrote:
03 Dec 2020, 4:31pm
BitterTom wrote:
03 Dec 2020, 4:13pm
Heston wrote:
03 Dec 2020, 4:06pm
After all the talk in the other thread I had to have fish and chips tonight...

20201203_161321.jpg
Bonus points for extra vinegar.
She put loads on in the shop but I put more on for luck. Loads of batter on as well.
That looks great. I had a fish fry last week that looked identical aside from the green stuff. Went great with tartar sauce, and also included a huge portion of cole slaw. Is that haddock? That's what is usually available around here for take-out Friday fish fry.
It's cod mate. I do like haddock as well though.
Ah, ok. Yeah, I like cod too.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I might hit the fish n chip place tomorrow on the way home from work.

What is the green stuff Heston?

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
03 Dec 2020, 8:49pm
I might hit the fish n chip place tomorrow on the way home from work.

What is the green stuff Heston?
Mushy peas
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

BostonBeaneater

Kimmelweck wrote:
03 Dec 2020, 6:32pm

I just fry them up as boneless, skinless fillets. It's been a while since I kept any fish I've caught for eating, but I couldn't pass these up. In my opinion they are the best tasting freshwater fish around, alongside walleye.

Now with a pan-sized trout, on the other hand, I just cut off the head, hollow out and rinse the gut cavity, and stuff them with croutons and a bit of butter. Then they'd get sandwiched between lemon slices, wrapped in foil, and either grilled or baked.
Being on the sea I don't go much for the lake fish. These perch look good though. We get a bit of river trout when we fish the mountain rivers in New Hampshire. We gut em, stuff a lemon slice in em, and smoke them on a plank in the camp fire. Good eatin.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
03 Dec 2020, 9:25pm
Kimmelweck wrote:

Being on the sea I don't go much for the lake fish. These perch look good though. We get a bit of river trout when we fish the mountain rivers in New Hampshire. We gut em, stuff a lemon slice in em, and smoke them on a plank in the camp fire. Good eatin.
Salt water fish seem better in general.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

revbob wrote:
03 Dec 2020, 10:38pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
03 Dec 2020, 9:25pm
Kimmelweck wrote:

Salt water fish seem better in general.
So you’re saying I should start dumping salt into Lake Erie?

But seriously, I agree and I do like a wider variety of saltwater fish/seafood for sure. Yellow perch are delicious though, mild and flaky. I’ll pass on the Lake Erie oysters.

BostonBeaneater

Kimmelweck wrote:
04 Dec 2020, 12:33am

Lake Erie oysters.
What the fuck are those?

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
04 Dec 2020, 12:46am
Kimmelweck wrote:

Lake Erie oysters.
What the fuck are those?
:lol:

I don't know if they exist, but I ain't eatin' 'em. Just a made-up example to acknowledge the lesser variety of good freshwater fish/seafood compared to saltwater.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kimmelweck wrote:
04 Dec 2020, 12:57am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:

Lake Erie oysters.
What the fuck are those?

I don't know if they exist, but I ain't eatin' 'em. Just a made-up example to acknowledge the lesser variety of good freshwater fish/seafood compared to saltwater.
I thought maybe it was like the Hudson River whitefish a close cousin to the Coney Island variety.
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... id=4902587

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

revbob wrote:
04 Dec 2020, 6:31am
Kimmelweck wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:

Lake Erie oysters.
What the fuck are those?

I thought maybe it was like the Hudson River whitefish a close cousin to the Coney Island variety.
Ha! No, I’m familiar with the term, but that’s not what I was getting at. I’ve unfortunately seen plenty of expired whitefish lapping the waves along the Niagara River shoreline. Always wondered if they’d gotten flushed or were just flung directly into the river.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kimmelweck wrote:
04 Dec 2020, 1:09pm
revbob wrote:
04 Dec 2020, 6:31am
Kimmelweck wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:

Lake Erie oysters.
What the fuck are those?

Ha! No, I’m familiar with the term, but that’s not what I was getting at. I’ve unfortunately seen plenty of expired whitefish lapping the waves along the Niagara River shoreline. Always wondered if they’d gotten flushed or were just flung directly into the river.
A friend of a friend back in high school would flush his used condoms but they had a septic tank so at one point there was an issue and they opened the septic tank and there a buch of condoms floating on top. His parents were very catholic and bot happy.

Anyway back to the oysters. The lake here has lots of mussels but Ive ne er heard of anyone eating lake mussels.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Shit load of veg in a stir fry with oyster sauce, tasty and my guts will thank me for it.