Whatcha reading?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Kory »

Just finished this book, in which (I assume) semi-well known British writer/actor/whatever Graham Duff tells his life story through 15 important gigs. It's as touching and funny as the jacket says, and his passion for music is almost tangible. The Wire chapter at the end is double interesting because this is the same guy who's making the upcoming Wire doc.

"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 5:52pm
Just finished this book, in which (I assume) semi-well known British writer/actor/whatever Graham Duff tells his life story through 15 important gigs. It's as touching and funny as the jacket says, and his passion for music is almost tangible. The Wire chapter at the end is double interesting because this is the same guy who's making the upcoming Wire doc.

I'll have to hunt that down!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 6:15pm
Kory wrote:

He was at the now-infamous JD gig in which Ian Curtis had a seizure backstage and the gig had to be performed mostly by the guys from Crispy Ambulance and ACR. That was quite a chapter.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Does anyone have a copy of "Juliet, Naked" by Nick Hornby on ebook or anything like that? Or if you've read it can you offer me any observations on it?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 7:02pm
Does anyone have a copy of "Juliet, Naked" by Nick Hornby on ebook or anything like that? Or if you've read it can you offer me any observations on it?
https://b-ok.org/book/1054884/8d9065

(Don't recall reading/listening to it, tho. Much as I liked High Fidelity when it came out, the few that I tried after that didn't do much for me.)
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Heston wrote:
Does anyone have a copy of "Juliet, Naked"
Yeah, but someone tore out the pictures :shifty:
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 6:54pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 6:15pm
Kory wrote:

He was at the now-infamous JD gig in which Ian Curtis had a seizure backstage and the gig had to be performed mostly by the guys from Crispy Ambulance and ACR. That was quite a chapter.
Oof, that's horrible, if notable. Yeah, I'm ordering it.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 7:18pm
Heston wrote:

(Don't recall reading/listening to it, tho. Much as I liked High Fidelity when it came out, the few that I tried after that didn't do much for me.)
Cheers Doc. This probably sounds a bit cryptic but the reason I want to read it is Clash-related and may be of interest to the board.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 7:25pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:

Cheers Doc. This probably sounds a bit cryptic but the reason I want to read it is Clash-related and may be of interest to the board.
Let us know whether it's any good.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Discovered this by chance, so I'm giving it a quick read to possibly use in my popular culture course next term. Two of my three books are music-related, so I wouldn't mind a film-related one, plus this is fairly short, which always plays well with students. Mind you, it's scholarly, which doesn't play as well with students ("The book was boring." Not all of life is about being entertained, kid).

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Rereading Njal’s Saga because I’m a stereotype of me.
Attachments
3336EE0A-707B-4A64-87B4-0A3AF0F081EA.jpeg
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 7:30pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:

I really enjoyed both the book and the movie adaptation.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
10 Dec 2020, 11:41am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:

How does it compare to High Fidelity?

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Dec 2020, 11:54am
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I liked it better (slightly). Both share a love affair with music and how music impacts our lives. That love is more understated in Juliet, but effective. There were definitely themes that resonated with me. One interest aspect is how Hornby has "evolved" obsessive music fandom from the record shop to the internet. If you liked High Fidelity you will like Juliet, Naked.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
10 Dec 2020, 12:57pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Dec 2020, 11:54am
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:

I liked it better (slightly). Both share a love affair with music and how music impacts our lives. That love is more understated in Juliet, but effective. There were definitely themes that resonated with me. One interest aspect is how Hornby has "evolved" obsessive music fandom from the record shop to the internet. If you liked High Fidelity you will like Juliet, Naked.
Cool and thanks. I'll hunt down an audio version and pop it in the queue.