daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Re: Heston and Marky's Friday Top 5

Post by daredevil »

Just What I Needed
Bye Bye Love
Good Times Roll
Moving In Stereo
I'm In Touch With Your World (This use to be me my least favorite on the LP, but it grew on me over the years)

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

daredevil wrote:
12 Dec 2020, 9:58pm
Just What I Needed
Bye Bye Love
Good Times Roll
Moving In Stereo
I'm In Touch With Your World (This use to be me my least favorite on the LP, but it grew on me over the years)
No Best Friend's Girl?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

Marky Dread wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 7:36am
daredevil wrote:
12 Dec 2020, 9:58pm
Just What I Needed
Bye Bye Love
Good Times Roll
Moving In Stereo
No Best Friend's Girl?
Definitely a great song, but I guess I've heard too many times on the radio.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Perfect album. None of my choices are deep cuts, but it’s hard when there are so many classics on it.

1. Just What I Needed
2. My Best Friend’s Girl
3. You’re All I’ve Got Tonight
4. Let the Good Times Roll
5. Moving In Stereo
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I recently did a lecture on bootlegs and the question of commodification of music, author rights, and what fans are consuming. When I got to the mid-70s, I explained the difficulty of breaking new artists on the radio because the classic rock format had taken hold. So record companies sent out these live recordings of new groups to generate buzz. It was also an effort to counter bootleggers somehow, even tho it was great source material for bootleggers. In some cases, it'd be taping the broadcast, while in others deejays sold those records after they were played, which gave bootleggers an opportunity to buy them and then manufacture new vinyl from that source.

So, my first real favourite band was the Cars, and I found the above bootleg in Saskatoon's biggest used record store. It cost a ridiculous amount of money. I'm gonna say $50 in the early 80s. But I had to have it. So I sold shit off, saved my paper route money, and hoped like hell it wouldn't be sold. And I eventually bought it. And learned … the Cars weren't that good live. Just zero spark. I was gutted. I held onto that boot for years but eventually traded it in when I got into punk and needed credit for who knows what album. Maybe a decade ago, I downloaded a copy off Dime a Dozen just to have a copy. Listened to it and, yup, the Cars were a great studio band, but dull live.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 8:31pm
I recently did a lecture on bootlegs and the question of commodification of music, author rights, and what fans are consuming. When I got to the mid-70s, I explained the difficulty of breaking new artists on the radio because the classic rock format had taken hold. So record companies sent out these live recordings of new groups to generate buzz. It was also an effort to counter bootleggers somehow, even tho it was great source material for bootleggers. In some cases, it'd be taping the broadcast, while in others deejays sold those records after they were played, which gave bootleggers an opportunity to buy them and then manufacture new vinyl from that source.

So, my first real favourite band was the Cars, and I found the above bootleg in Saskatoon's biggest used record store. It cost a ridiculous amount of money. I'm gonna say $50 in the early 80s. But I had to have it. So I sold shit off, saved my paper route money, and hoped like hell it wouldn't be sold. And I eventually bought it. And learned … the Cars weren't that good live. Just zero spark. I was gutted. I held onto that boot for years but eventually traded it in when I got into punk and needed credit for who knows what album. Maybe a decade ago, I downloaded a copy off Dime a Dozen just to have a copy. Listened to it and, yup, the Cars were a great studio band, but dull live.
Hello,

I saw them live in late 70's-early 80's (I think in Glens Falls, NY). There were robotic but not in a Kraftwerk way. They played their songs, did a good job, not much difference from the records, and then they left.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 9:24pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Hello,

I saw them live in late 70's-early 80's (I think in Glens Falls, NY). There were robotic but not in a Kraftwerk way. They played their songs, did a good job, not much difference from the records, and then they left.
That's mind of how it sounded on that record. Maybe there was some studio clean up, even on a quasi-boot, but they sounded like they were just playing the studio version all the way.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Top 5 tracks from "Dookie" - Green Day

1. Basket Case
2. Welcome to Paradise
3. Longview
4. When I Come Around
5. Coming Clean

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

1. Basket Case
2. She
3. Pulling Teeth
4. When I Come Around
5. Chump

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Basketcase
Welcome to Paradise
She
Burnout
Pulling Teeth

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I still vividly remember buying this CD from the mall chain music store (I think it was a Hastings). Probably some of the first "contemporary" type music I ever started listening to. Perhaps telling that my fave song off this is a re-recording of a Kerplunk song tho.

1. Welcome to Paradise
2. Burnout
3. When I Come Around
4. Basket Case
5. Having a Blast

The singles off this album were all really strong, but there are some equally strong album cuts too. Great record.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
17 Dec 2020, 1:26pm
I still vividly remember buying this CD from the mall chain music store (I think it was a Hastings). Probably some of the first "contemporary" type music I ever started listening to. Perhaps telling that my fave song off this is a re-recording of a Kerplunk song tho.

1. Welcome to Paradise
2. Burnout
3. When I Come Around
4. Basket Case
5. Having a Blast

The singles off this album were all really strong, but there are some equally strong album cuts too. Great record.
I prefer Kerplunk to Dookie. How do you compare the re-recording of "Paradise" as they are both great. Dookie just has more oomph with the bass to my ears.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:

I recently did a lecture on bootlegs and the question of commodification of music, author rights, and what fans are consuming.

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak