movies

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: movies

Post by Heston »

I watched Lethal Weapon last night for the first time in 30 years. Mildly entertaining but it hasn't aged well. I'd totally forgot it was a Christmas film.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Heston wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 3:00pm
I watched Lethal Weapon last night for the first time in 30 years. Mildly entertaining but it hasn't aged well. I'd totally forgot it was a Christmas film.
The "Die Hard is a Xmas film bacon" bores need to get caught up on this gave.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 2:50pm
JennyB wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 2:27pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Dec 2020, 8:01pm
Because I just read this book on The Breakfast Club, we're watching the movie this evening. With the exception of Ally Sheedy's character, I dislike those kids more and more every time. Whatever the bullshit about how they're all kids with common problems behind the stereotypes, they never really rise above the stereotypes to me. I want the cut where all the characters join in to murder Bender right at the start.

edit: I would bet Olaf's most prized raccoon (also named Olaf) that someone in Hollywood has pitched a Breakfast Club remake with the children of the main characters as the new detention students. Plus maybe Bender returning as a Vernon-like character.
Yep. Aside from Ally Sheedy's character (who would never date that wrestler doofus in real life), the only other redeemable character from that movie is Carl.
I agree and almost mentioned the same thing. I was a part time janitor at an elementary/middle school during college in the early 90s, for about two years. I was the eyes and ears of that institution.
And unlike Vernon, the official authority figure who is spurned by the kids, Carl is fully confident of who he is and unconcerned about status. You know that Carl is the solid dad that those kids wish they had.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 3:07pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 2:50pm
JennyB wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 2:27pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Dec 2020, 8:01pm
Because I just read this book on The Breakfast Club, we're watching the movie this evening. With the exception of Ally Sheedy's character, I dislike those kids more and more every time. Whatever the bullshit about how they're all kids with common problems behind the stereotypes, they never really rise above the stereotypes to me. I want the cut where all the characters join in to murder Bender right at the start.

edit: I would bet Olaf's most prized raccoon (also named Olaf) that someone in Hollywood has pitched a Breakfast Club remake with the children of the main characters as the new detention students. Plus maybe Bender returning as a Vernon-like character.
Yep. Aside from Ally Sheedy's character (who would never date that wrestler doofus in real life), the only other redeemable character from that movie is Carl.
I agree and almost mentioned the same thing. I was a part time janitor at an elementary/middle school during college in the early 90s, for about two years. I was the eyes and ears of that institution.
And unlike Vernon, the official authority figure who is spurned by the kids, Carl is fully confident of who he is and unconcerned about status. You know that Carl is the solid dad that those kids wish they had.
One of my co-workers at the job, who was, no shit, also named Carl, had been there around 8 years. He was completely unassuming and ate leftover fruit from kids’ brown bag lunches that he found in the cafeteria trash cans. There were always bananas and oranges lying around the janitors' office. He saved every penny trying to make a better life for his kids while taking college classes a few nights per week. He worked day shifts and I came in at 4:30 or 5pm. It wasn’t a bad evening job to have during college. I mostly swept floors, cleaned blackboards, and emptied trash cans, but when the work was done I had a lot of extra time to sit around the office and study while waiting for the occasional pager call. Plus I got to walk around with a GIANT key ring and lock everything up at night. It was kind of interesting to be part of a group of basement dwellers who were almost completely separate from the regular workings of the school.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 4:07pm
One of my co-workers at the job, who was, no shit, also named Carl, had been there around 8 years. He was completely unassuming and ate leftover fruit from kids’ brown bag lunches that he found in the cafeteria trash cans. There were always bananas and oranges lying around the janitors' office. He saved every penny trying to make a better life for his kids while taking college classes a few nights per week. He worked day shifts and I came in at 4:30 or 5pm. It wasn’t a bad evening job to have during college. I mostly swept floors, cleaned blackboards, and emptied trash cans, but when the work was done I had a lot of extra time to sit around the office and study while waiting for the occasional pager call. Plus I got to walk around with a GIANT key ring and lock everything up at night. It was kind of interesting to be part of a group of basement dwellers who were almost completely separate from the regular workings of the school.
I also worked as a janitor, albeit at one of the local malls and it was while I was in high school. The main thing I learned was that people are absolute pigs when they know someone else will be cleaning up after them.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 4:19pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
I also worked as a janitor, albeit at one of the local malls and it was while I was in high school. The main thing I learned was that people are absolute pigs when they know someone else will be cleaning up after them.
Yeah, pretty much. Job security, we called it. Did you get a giant key ring? That thing made me feel like a king. At least until someone would puke during Sunday mass in the church that was attached to the school and I would get paged to come and clean it up in front of 1500 people. Somebody quick page the atheist! I remember one time somebody wet themselves and it ran most of the length of the pew, soaking 9 or 10 people. :lol:
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 4:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Yeah, pretty much. Job security, we called it. Did you get a giant key ring? That thing made me feel like a king. At least until someone would puke during Sunday mass in the church that was attached to the school and I would get paged to come and clean it up in front of 1500 people. Somebody quick page the atheist! I remember one time somebody wet themselves and it ran most of the length of the pew, soaking 9 or 10 people. :lol:
My friend and I were chum in that ocean, so no key ring for us. Mop and bucket, broom, glass cleaner—that was about the extent of it.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 5:12pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 4:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
My friend and I were chum in that ocean, so no key ring for us. Mop and bucket, broom, glass cleaner—that was about the extent of it.
I was only keeper of the ring when Carl wasn't there. I preferred the summer painting aspect of the job.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

anyone who pukes during Sunday mass is obviously possessed by a demon.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 5:26pm
I was only keeper of the ring when Carl wasn't there. I preferred the summer painting aspect of the job.
Come summer holidays, I managed to get transferred to day duty, which mostly consisted of doing a wretched job re-painting the mall. Me and another guy seriously fucked the dog and slopped stain all over the sidewalks. Various old people stopped to criticize us for our shitty effort, to which we said that paying minimum wage does not get you a professional result. The guy I worked with was really into dumpster diving whenever we had to get fresh supplies. I just watched him root around, bragging about his treasure.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

tepista wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 5:33pm
anyone who pukes during Sunday mass is obviously possessed by a demon.
Before they puke, yes. Afterwards, I’m pretty sure they’re good to go.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 5:38pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
Come summer holidays, I managed to get transferred to day duty, which mostly consisted of doing a wretched job re-painting the mall. Me and another guy seriously fucked the dog and slopped stain all over the sidewalks. Various old people stopped to criticize us for our shitty effort, to which we said that paying minimum wage does not get you a professional result. The guy I worked with was really into dumpster diving whenever we had to get fresh supplies. I just watched him root around, bragging about his treasure.
Dead serious, the first words Carl ever spoke to me on my first day on the job were "Do you tape off?"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 6:00pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 5:38pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dead serious, the first words Carl ever spoke to me on my first day on the job were "Do you tape off?"
If I wanted to rationalize things, I could say that our bosses didn't give us drop cloths so it's not our fault, but we didn't even try not dripping with our rollers. LIke, ten years later, the dripping of the stain on the sidewalk could still be seen. If I had kids, I could have pointed to that, smiled beatifically, and said, "Your dad did that."

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

A prediction: Eddie Murphy will do an Oscar-worthy dramatic movie meant to confirm his career, and to prove it he will be credited as Edward Murphy.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Our cable provider is doing a free access thingee to a movie service, so we're watching Peter's Friends. Sort of a Limey 80s Big Chill, but with less Boomer indulgence and better humour.