Unseen Clash Footage From Don Letts

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
blureu
Dirty Punk

Re: Unseen Clash Footage From Don Letts

Post by blureu »

blureu wrote:
17 Dec 2020, 10:43am
What is the DVD+CD package?

There have been many articles on the film over the past month. I found this recent article to have some interesting quotes.

https://www.abc.net.au/doublej/music-re ... w/12984580

JohnS wrote:
17 Dec 2020, 9:10am
Backtracking a bit, it's interesting now what channels/media are open to release a film. I got an email about Juiien Temple's new doc about Shane McGowan 'Crock of Gold' (which I want to see, the trailer is great) and a link 'how to watch the movie' which brings up a selection of options:
Renting or buying outright via Amazon Prime video, Apple, Google Play, Sky...
Renting via a couple of arthouse cinema websites (BFI and Curzon)...
Buying the DVD (amazon and hmv).... Sky also offer a DVD+CD package.
And that excludes any cinema screenings, which are limited right now of course but would normally yield a bit of income.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

blureu wrote:

There have been many articles on the film over the past month. I found this one to have some interesting quotes.

JohnS wrote:
Backtracking a bit, it's interesting now what channels/media are open to release a film. I got an email about Juiien Temple's new doc about Shane McGowan 'Crock of Gold' (which I want to see, the trailer is great) and a link 'how to watch the movie' which brings up a selection of options:
And that excludes any cinema screenings, which are limited right now of course but would normally yield a bit of income.
Can't believe Temple would actually say this.

"I was surprised about his kind of reverence for Gerry Adams," Temple says. "That was a very different Shane, not an aggressive Shane."

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Low Down Low wrote:
17 Dec 2020, 11:38am
blureu wrote:

There have been many articles on the film over the past month. I found this one to have some interesting quotes.

JohnS wrote:
Can't believe Temple would actually say this.

"I was surprised about his kind of reverence for Gerry Adams," Temple says. "That was a very different Shane, not an aggressive Shane."
I bought it on Amazon, didn't care for the film at all.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

chocolatejesus
Dirty Punk

Post by chocolatejesus »

I dont really agree with the points made about this not being a potential source of good income for everyone involved.

Agewise I guess those who have been a fan in the bands active days are probably the target market for deluxe and extensive anthology sets, so bands like the stones, beatles, dylan and bowie are milked to death with box sets in recent years. The Clash are not quite as big but definately big enough for a selected number of big releases. I guess globally they could shift a good amount of a high quality product with actual new content to the old fans easily.

But apart from that I think The Clash are a cult band to a younger generation as they were probably more influential to modern punk / indie bands than so many other old big acts. The recent Youtube Event in tribute to Joe or international Clash day at some more popular radio stations might be good indicators for that.

Apart from all that for movie contents there is definately a market for that with all the streaming. On Netflix alone theres movies and documentaries on Dylans Rolling Thunder Revue, on Miles Davis and Nina Simone. I really can not see those having a bigger appeal to a younger audience than whatever this is going to be.
I guess Sony knows how to promote and how to use different ways of distribution and god how I am looking foward to SOMETHING.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

chocolatejesus wrote:
17 Dec 2020, 4:09pm
I guess Sony knows how to promote
They don't.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Kory wrote:
17 Dec 2020, 5:31pm
chocolatejesus wrote:
They don't.
Oh I don’t know. You’ve got to have artists who are willing to promote themselves.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
17 Dec 2020, 7:34pm
Kory wrote:
chocolatejesus wrote:
They don't.
Oh I don’t know. You’ve got to have artists who are willing to promote themselves.
Which side, for the most part, initiates any new projects/releases, Sony or the band?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

17 Dec 2020, 7:34pm
Kory wrote:
chocolatejesus wrote:
They don't.
Oh SNAP! Teddy 1, Band 0

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

It’s just the truth. All three surviving members of the classic Clash lineup are pretty reticent to go out promoting, even virtually.

crashtheparty
Dirty Punk

Post by crashtheparty »

17 Dec 2020, 9:56pm
It’s just the truth. All three surviving members of the classic Clash lineup are pretty reticent to go out promoting, even virtually.
It’s a fair point. They all moved on a long time ago and have their own lives/other projects or interests. Of course they must view it very differently from fans. Every so often they dip back in briefly; I wonder if these short bursts driven by Sony or the band. I think no one could really make them do things they don’t want to, but if it was completely left up to the band, would there have been anything at all?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

crashtheparty wrote:
18 Dec 2020, 5:09am
It’s a fair point. They all moved on a long time ago and have their own lives/other projects or interests. Of course they must view it very differently from fans. Every so often they dip back in briefly; I wonder if these short bursts driven by Sony or the band. I think no one could really make them do things they don’t want to, but if it was completely left up to the band, would there have been anything at all?
Mick Jones IS a Clash fan so I think the answer is yes.

But you have to respect the fact that Mick never liked to stand still musically speaking. He has worked with loads of people now and spends a lot of time helping others.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

crashtheparty
Dirty Punk

Post by crashtheparty »

Marky Dread wrote:
18 Dec 2020, 5:18am
crashtheparty wrote:

But you have to respect the fact that Mick never liked to stand still musically speaking. He has worked with loads of people now and spends a lot of time helping others.
Yeah, I remember someone saying Mick is the number one Clash fan so I’d like to think so. Definitely agree re not standing still and helping others. Anyway I don’t want to overanalyse their behaviour, just thinking out loud really.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

crashtheparty wrote:
18 Dec 2020, 5:21am
Marky Dread wrote:
18 Dec 2020, 5:18am
crashtheparty wrote:

Yeah, I remember someone saying Mick is the number one Clash fan so I’d like to think so. Definitely agree re not standing still and helping others. Anyway I don’t want to overanalyse their behaviour, just thinking out loud really.
Yeah I get where everyone in this thread is coming from. We just want to see something new Clash wise. The Bonds footage has been spoken about for so long now that it would be just amazing to finally see it and see it released in however the band should choose.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

crashtheparty wrote:
Paul has that quote about always moving forward and never looking back. I assume convincing him each time is a bit of a hurdle.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
18 Dec 2020, 1:42pm
crashtheparty wrote:
Paul has that quote about always moving forward and never looking back. I assume convincing him each time is a bit of a hurdle.
The George of the band.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft