Whatcha reading?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Silent Majority »

99) Survival - Rona Munro. 1990. Audiobook. A straight forward Dr Who novelisation, with cheetah hunters on horses chasing transported people from a local youth club and a planet, which is psychic, falling apart. Standard.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

100) Waiting for Godot - Samuel Beckett. Play. 1953. Laugh out loud funny at times, dark, depressing, and sinister at others. I can't really quibble with this fairly, but I still have yet to see a production which really nails the tone I think Sammy B was aiming for. While it wouldn't have met with the author's approval, I would love for their to be a recording of the show where Rik Mayall and Ade Edmondson played the main characters.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Finished listening to Schlosser's Command & Control on my row this morning. Chilling and infuriating. It's a mix of a narrative of the Damascus, AR, disaster in 1980, when a dropped socket wrench pierced the skin of Titan II, spilling fuel, which eventually exploded; and a history of American nuclear weapons policy. If you want an illustration of the madness from becoming beholden to ideology, here it is.

Up next:
See the recent Libertarian thread. This seems like a hoot and a half.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Silent Majority wrote:
19 Dec 2020, 11:55am
100) Waiting for Godot - Samuel Beckett. Play. 1953. Laugh out loud funny at times, dark, depressing, and sinister at others. I can't really quibble with this fairly, but I still have yet to see a production which really nails the tone I think Sammy B was aiming for. While it wouldn't have met with the author's approval, I would love for their to be a recording of the show where Rik Mayall and Ade Edmondson played the main characters.
Michael Palin and Robert Lindsay just did one which I wouldn't have minded seeing.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Silent Majority wrote:
I adore that show. Either V or E would be a plum role.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Wolter wrote:
10 Dec 2020, 11:22am
Rereading Njal’s Saga because I’m a stereotype of me.
Moved from Njal (which is just as excellent as I remember) to Egil’s Saga, which starts out slower than I remember, but picks up once Egil Skallagrimson shows up. He starts out an insane badass/asshole and only amps it from there. At age three, he is left at home while his brother and parents go visit family friends because, and I am not making this up, his father Skallagrim tells him he’s a mean drunk.

Age. Three.

(He goes anyway ON HIS OWN and drunkenly recites an improvised poem so good his host gives him three shells and a duck’s egg.)

At roughly age seven he puts an axe in the skull of an older boy that picked on him.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Kory wrote:
21 Dec 2020, 2:34pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Michael Palin and Robert Lindsay just did one which I wouldn't have minded seeing.
Too British.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Wolter wrote:
21 Dec 2020, 4:07pm
Silent Majority wrote:

Be a blast to do a night reading the script with mates.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Silent Majority wrote:
21 Dec 2020, 6:14pm
Wolter wrote:
21 Dec 2020, 4:07pm
Silent Majority wrote:

Be a blast to do a night reading the script with mates.
Heck yeah.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Silent Majority wrote:
21 Dec 2020, 6:13pm
Kory wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Too British.
Look who's talking

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Kory wrote:
21 Dec 2020, 7:41pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Kory wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Too British.
Look who's talking
How dare you, sir.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Silent Majority wrote:
21 Dec 2020, 7:43pm
Kory wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Kory wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Too British.
Look who's talking
How dare you, sir.
Oh, i was just referencing the hit Travolta/Alley movie.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Kory wrote:
21 Dec 2020, 8:26pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Kory wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Kory wrote:

Too British.
Look who's talking
How dare you, sir.
That franchise didn't get good til the dogs started talking

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
21 Dec 2020, 8:29pm
Kory wrote:
21 Dec 2020, 8:26pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Kory wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

Too British.
Look who's talking
How dare you, sir.
That franchise didn't get good til the dogs started talking
I will never not think of it as Look Who's Oinking.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

101) Gene Roddenberry: The Myth and the Man Behind Star Trek - Joel Engel. Hardback. 1994. The story of a thoughtless, greedy hack who got lucky with one concept, then had his ego inflated by an audience desperate for a messiah. He drank too much, did too many drugs, melted his brain and then nearly totalled the Next Generation with his behaviour and terrible ideas. Pretty decent read.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/