23 Dec 2020, 4:53pm
Kory wrote:
23 Dec 2020, 4:35pm
Heston wrote:
23 Dec 2020, 3:20pm
BitterTom wrote:
23 Dec 2020, 3:14pm

Vote already for the reprise? Bloody love it myself
I can't see the issue with how short it is. It's the most energetic thing on the album and injects something into proceedings. Love Macca's out of control hollering near the end.
I just don't buy that if there's something you couldn't convincingly put on a compilation to stand on its own, then it's not worthy of voting for best song. It exists as a framing device within this album only.
But aren't we voting for it within the context of the album?
I think you can use whatever criteria you want when voting, but in the end, we're going to have a winner that is removed from its album as "the best Beatles song." I just don't think the reprise counts, even as a song. It's more of a commercial.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Pepper - Side B - Round 2

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
23 Dec 2020, 5:26pm
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:
BitterTom wrote:

I can't see the issue with how short it is. It's the most energetic thing on the album and injects something into proceedings. Love Macca's out of control hollering near the end.
I just don't buy that if there's something you couldn't convincingly put on a compilation to stand on its own, then it's not worthy of voting for best song. It exists as a framing device within this album only.
I think you can use whatever criteria you want when voting, but in the end, we're going to have a winner that is removed from its album as "the best Beatles song." I just don't think the reprise counts, even as a song. It's more of a commercial.
Not more bloody commercials. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:
BitterTom wrote:

My only motives for voting are the pleasure it gives to my ears. And only A Day In the Life on that album pleases me more.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
23 Dec 2020, 6:09pm
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:

My only motives for voting are the pleasure it gives to my ears. And only A Day In the Life on that album pleases me more.
1. A Day In the Life
2. Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
3. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
4. Being For the Benefit of Mr. Kite!
5. Getting Better

Maybe the most overrated album ever considering it's status.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Dec 2020, 6:51pm
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:

1. A Day In the Life
5. Getting Better

Neither the best album by the band nor even the best album released that year.

And I know I’m an unabashed Beach Boys fan, but Pet Sounds is across the board better. Brian needed to be more confident.
Last edited by Wolter on 23 Dec 2020, 7:09pm, edited 1 time in total.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:

1. A Day In the Life
5. Getting Better

Now if only Lucy had the mix it got on the Yellow Submarine Songtrack it would be right up there for me. It has a weak sound on the album proper. Even Lennon complained about it, claiming Macca was getting more attention and time devoted to his songs.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Heston wrote:
23 Dec 2020, 7:09pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:

1. A Day In the Life
5. Getting Better

Now if only Lucy had the mix it got on the Yellow Submarine Songtrack it would be right up there for me. It has a weak sound on the album proper. Even Lennon complained about it, claiming Macca was getting more attention and time devoted to his songs.
I'd have more sympathy for Lennon on that if he hadn't been passively ripped off his tits on acid for that whole time, completely going along with the flow.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston

Post by Heston »

Silent Majority wrote:
23 Dec 2020, 7:16pm
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:

1. A Day In the Life
5. Getting Better

I'd have more sympathy for Lennon on that if he hadn't been passively ripped off his tits on acid for that whole time, completely going along with the flow.
Yeah but without the acid we might not have got A Day In the Life.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:

1. A Day In the Life
5. Getting Better

Yeah I agree Songtrack's mix is class. But it's still a great track.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Dec 2020, 7:29pm
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:

1. A Day In the Life
5. Getting Better

Yeah I agree Songtrack's mix is class. But it's still a great track.
Totally. Best on side one for sure.