movies

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: movies

Post by Heston »

I'm having the perfect afternoon on the sofa watching North By Northwest. Still awesome.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
28 Dec 2020, 12:38pm
I'm having the perfect afternoon on the sofa watching North By Northwest. Still awesome.
Top quality movie. :approve:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Heston wrote:
Such a good film.

I watched Coppola's 2020 re-edit of Godfather III today. Really improved a film that was bad, but not as awful as its reputation. It's worth watching now.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
That was on last week or the week before, so we had to watch. I was stunned to learn that Eve Marie Saint is still amongst the living.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Marky Dread wrote:
28 Dec 2020, 1:15pm
Heston wrote:
Top quality movie. :approve:
I've got it on bluray.

So I've been watching Crystal Palace Vs Leicester 1-1 draw.

Now I'm watching Chelsea Vs Aston Villa just about to start.

Sadly the Everton Vs Man City game that was also due later is cancelled due to covid. All on Amazon Prime.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Dec 2020, 1:19pm
Heston wrote:
That was on last week or the week before, so we had to watch. I was stunned to learn that Eve Marie Saint is still amongst the living.
Yes, I looked her up after watching. Quite stunning in the film. And you can see where they re-dubbed her "I don't make love on an empty stomach" line.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
28 Dec 2020, 1:52pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Yes, I looked her up after watching. Quite stunning in the film. And you can see where they re-dubbed her "I don't make love on an empty stomach" line.
She is beautiful in On the Waterfront. My fave film.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Quickly, mate, you might yet pull her.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

A Fish Called Wanda is on, a movie I've never seen all the way thru in any sitting. And all I can hear is Mr. Fischoeder whenever Otto speaks.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

Silent Majority wrote:
28 Dec 2020, 4:49pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Quickly, mate, you might yet pull her.
I checked some recent pics...not bad.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Anything for Jackson (2020) A grieving couple kidnap a young pregnant woman with intention to put the soul of their recently deceased grandson into the body of her unborn child, but soon find they should be careful what they wish for when dealing with unknown forces! Lots of surprises, and some good intentional humor, but without being a comedy. I looked up the resume of director Justin G. Dyke, he seems to have made at least two dozen made-for-TV Christmas movies for Hallmark! Well, I don’t plan on watching any of those, but I’ve got my eye on him for any future horror, as this was pretty great.

Bram Stoker’s Dracula (1992) The last time I wrote a review for this was 10 years ago, and I couldn't believe how bad I trashed it, surely I must have been crazier than Renfield. Well it was even worse. Gary Oldman, Winona Ryder and Anthony Hopkins all give near-worst career performances, and Keanu keeps pace with his previous work. Francis Ford Coppola gives his own interpretation of Stoker’s classic and even rips off his own scene from the Godfather when the family takes care of business during the baby's baptism, except this time it's during Jonathan and Mina’s wedding. So 10 year from now me: Please don’t watch this again! At least there was nudity.

The Blood on Satan’s Claw (1971) When some British, 17th Century teenagers find a skeleton of a not-quite-human body in the fields, they slowly begin to form a cult, and even kill some classmates, apparently guided by some unseen force. Linda Hayden (Taste the Blood of Dracula) plays the head bad girl in charge, and she has an unforgettable scene seducing a priest. Wendy Padbury plays a good girl, she was a Doctor Who Girl in the late 60s. I enjoyed this one a lot.

Stephen King’s Graveyard Shift (1990) A drifter gets a job in a small town textile factory in Maine that is infested by rats. These rats have a taste for human blood, and we soon find out there’s something larger and much more dangerous down in the basement. Our hero, along with a misfit crew and a cartoonishly evil foreman spend a week down there on a clean-up job, and gets trapped underground with thousands of deadly critters. Sounds OK, but I gotta say, the melodrama that is most of the movie is about as unintentionally laughable as it gets. Brad Dourif is fun as usual, as an overacting exterminator. There were a few cool scenes, watch at your own risk.

The Street Fighter (1974) Sonny Chiba is Terry, a hired assassin who goes against the yakuza when they ask him to kill a beautiful heiress. Terry is quite the anti-hero himself though; he kidnapped a client’s sister and sold her in to prostitution when he couldn’t pay. So people are trying to assassinate him on practically every corner. The movie isn’t much more than an excuse for non-stop, over the top violence and murder, and heavy on the eyeball trauma. No nudity, but plenty of sexual assault. Sonny would star in eight movies in 1974, and four of them were Street Fighter titles. They’re all on Amazon and Tubi, always a series I wanted to scratch off my bucket list, since they got name checked in True Romance.

Return of the Street Fighter (1974) I’m not quite sure what was going on in this sequel, a karate teacher and his cop student were fighting the American mafia, while Sonny Chiba was protecting a streetwise orphan girl (an adult actress in pigtails) who was really working for yakuza. Sonny tells her he knew it all along because “Nobody can trust a girl who jives like that.” So basically, after a slow start, Sonny is dodging non-stop assassination attempts like he was in the first movie, and ultimately delivers loads of eyeball trauma to those who get in his way. Brief nudity in this one, when he kills a hooker who tried to stab him.

Black Christmas (2019) I had no intention of watching this but I’m sucker for free premium cable previews. Is it good? Of course not, it’s a PG-13 slasher, two words that should never be in the same sentence. Why did this heavy handed “Me Too” slasher have to be called Black Christmas? Horror people love BC and were never going to except it, and non-horror people probably don’t give a fuck. So, a sorority house on Christmas break, and a scene with a cellophane bag, that’s about the ONLY connection to the original. No Billy, no calls coming from the house, not even a House Mother, and unless I’m missing something, no Bob Clark’s name anywhere in the credits. So what if instead of a theatrical release, this was a HULU movie of the month with a different title? The director actually has an Into the Dark credit on her resume. It probably gets a handful of “meh” reviews and falls off the face of the Earth, instead of being noted as an alltime travesty of a remake. How did I even talk about it THIS much?

VFW (2019) A bar for Veterans of Foreign Wars is under siege by a drug dealer and his gang of whacked-out-of-their-skull followers who are ready to die for the cause when a young girl (Sierra McCormick of Vast of Night) seeks refuge after stealing their stash! Stephen Lang (Don’t Breathe), Fred "the Hammer" Williamson (Black Caesar), William Sadler (Hills Run Red), Martin Kove (Karate Kid), David Patrick Kelly (The Warriors), and George “Cheers” Wendt all shotgun up to protect the bar. The guy who played the dealer was about as weasely as you can get. Director Joe Begos knocks this one out of the park, just as he did with his previous vampire-druggie romp, Bliss. In fact, the star of Bliss, Dora Madison, plays the dealer’s second in command. This was great fun, and my next project is to dig up Besos’ back catalog.

Joe Bob Saves Christmas

Joe Bob Briggs and Darcy host 2 holiday horrors and auctioned a bunch of fun items for charity. The movies were both second watches for me:

Deadly Games aka Dial Code Santa Claus (1989) A rich kid and his grandpa protect their toy-filled mansion with booby-traps from a home invader dressed as Santa Claus. This hard-to-find-until-recently French obscurity is infamously compared to Home Alone, and mixes light action-comedy with some pretty dark violence and an antagonist with some seriously bad intentions. Bonnie Tyler nearly avoided a total eclipse of her career when she recorded the original song “Merry Christmas” for the soundtrack.

You Better Watch Out aka Christmas Evil (1980) Strange film about a middle-aged man who has an unhealthy Santa obsession. He manages a toy factory and keeps a naughty/nice book on the neighborhood children, who he spies on. Some greed and corruption at his workplace set off his already unstable mental state and he puts on a Santa suit and kills a few people. Strange movie, it goes from creepy/quirky to a sudden gore film and then it gets whimsical. It has a cult following and John Waters has famously endorsed it.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

The Blood on Satan’s Claw

Always liked this one.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Marky Dread wrote:
29 Dec 2020, 2:53pm

Always liked this one.
That's in a lyric of a Cramps song.

"Blood on Satan's claw is my middle name...

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

There's big flashing signs around the city here warning people about covid.

"Covid Risk High" which made me think of it as a Troma movie title.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

revbob wrote:
29 Dec 2020, 4:25pm
Marky Dread wrote:
29 Dec 2020, 2:53pm

Always liked this one.
That's in a lyric of a Cramps song.

"Blood on Satan's claw is my middle name...
Yeah I'm sure Lux pinched it from the movie title.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia