WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Jan 2021, 4:52pm
WestwayKid wrote:
04 Jan 2021, 4:41pm
In regards to Losing My Religion, I gained a new appreciation for it after viewing the episode of Song Exploder that looked at the song in detail. Stipe's lyrics in particular are really, really good. I didn't always know what he was getting at, but once I heard him explain it - everything fell into place.
That song inspired me to construct a personal rule: No fucking mandolins in rock. I also despise that art school video.
The video has dated very, very badly.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

WestwayKid wrote:
04 Jan 2021, 4:39pm
Low Down Low wrote:
04 Jan 2021, 4:18pm
Concur with the comment about Out of Time being uneven. But i would say when it's great, that album is really great so still gets the greatness tag from me, despite the couple of obvious clangers. I also think objectively SHP is not a bad pop-rock song, it's just quite annoying after a few too many listens.

I also heartily endorse the general tribute album thumbs down. Off hand, can't think of a single one i've ever wanted to repeat listen. I know some liked it ok, but apart from the brilliant mikey dread take on SoS, i thought the S! project thing was pretty awful overall.
There are indeed some real gems: Near Wild Heaven is one of my fave REM tracks. Half a World Away is another really good one. The more I think about it, yeah...it really is actually a near great release.
Yeah...near great is probably a fair assessment. Near Wild Heaven is transcendent and it and Belong would be well inside my rem top 5. Just one more belter, i think, and that album would have been made. It's not that far off imo.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
04 Jan 2021, 5:05pm
Heston wrote:
04 Jan 2021, 4:55pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Near Wild Heaven is one of my fave REM tracks
My favourite.

Which backs up my mate's theory that all the best bands have a secondary singer who is better than the main guy.
Well the bass player in the Panic Report sings a much better version of "My Way" than the front man. ;)
:mrgreen:
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Heston wrote:
04 Jan 2021, 4:46pm
Low Down Low wrote:
I also heartily endorse the general tribute album thumbs down. Off hand, can't think of a single one i've ever wanted to repeat listen. I know some liked it ok, but apart from the brilliant mikey dread take on SoS, i thought the S! project thing was pretty awful overall.
The few I can remember liking from various tributes...

Rock the Casbah - Pato Banton and Rocking Roger
Complete Control - The New Picadillys
We Are the Clash - Sparks
Charlie Don't Surf - Pollo Del Mar
Police On My Back - Asian Dub Foundation
Oh yeah definitely some good individual takes there, just i dont ever recall engaging with a single tribute album that didn't underwhelm me. And on the subject, I'm still regularly spinning the Lucinda Williams StH from the recent joe charity gig. Gets better with every listen, i absolutely adore it.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
In regards to Losing My Religion, I gained a new appreciation for it after viewing the episode of Song Exploder that looked at the song in detail. Stipe's lyrics in particular are really, really good. I didn't always know what he was getting at, but once I heard him explain it - everything fell into place.
That song inspired me to construct a personal rule: No fucking mandolins in rock. I also despise that art school video.
Well the Pogues managed it just fine.

And was REM really a "rock" band at that point?

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
04 Jan 2021, 6:20pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Word.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

I'm willing to sacrifice the Pogues to satisfy my anger.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Jan 2021, 6:32pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
04 Jan 2021, 6:47pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Jan 2021, 6:32pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

If you want to classify the Pogues as not-rock, I'll accept it.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:

That song inspired me to construct a personal rule: No fucking mandolins in rock.
And here's how I thoroughly destroy your argument:
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
04 Jan 2021, 6:57pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

That song inspired me to construct a personal rule: No fucking mandolins in rock.
I think you mean revbob just got destroyed.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Low Down Low wrote:
04 Jan 2021, 5:16pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Concur with the comment about Out of Time being uneven. But i would say when it's great, that album is really great so still gets the greatness tag from me, despite the couple of obvious clangers. I also think objectively SHP is not a bad pop-rock song, it's just quite annoying after a few too many listens.

There are indeed some real gems: Near Wild Heaven is one of my fave REM tracks. Half a World Away is another really good one. The more I think about it, yeah...it really is actually a near great release.
Yeah...near great is probably a fair assessment. Near Wild Heaven is transcendent and it and Belong would be well inside my rem top 5. Just one more belter, i think, and that album would have been made. It's not that far off imo.
I've heard Peter Buck express that he wishes they would have included both Fretless and It's A Free World Baby. Not sure what he would cut, but also not sure those 2 tracks would make it a better album, either.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Jan 2021, 6:58pm
matedog wrote:
04 Jan 2021, 6:57pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I think you mean revbob just got destroyed.
So that somehow reinforces Doc's argument and bolsters mine at the same time. I think I prefer the crotchcam version.

Also am I the only one who sees a resemblance between Steven Van Zandt and Paul Stanley?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
04 Jan 2021, 7:24pm
Also am I the only one who sees a resemblance between Steven Van Zandt and Paul Stanley?
Now that you mention it, an unrealized Hoyston link has been found.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Jan 2021, 7:31pm
revbob wrote:
04 Jan 2021, 7:24pm
Now that you mention it, an unrealized Hoyston link has been found.