Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Pepper - Side B - Round 5

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
05 Jan 2021, 3:21pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jan 2021, 2:36pm
And yet three people—three!—have so far voted for a reprise over a consensus inner circle Beatles song. When we did these polls with the Clash, even when I disagreed (vehemently at times) with the results, I could understand the basic thinking behind it. The choices in these votes so far—chiefly the last three albums—completely bewilder me. It's approaching Manson levels of "what the hell are you hearing?"
I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply doesn't work.

I was musing the other day on whether it would be fun to do this kind of exercise for Bowie albums. But when I realized with this board we'd be assured of "Rebel Rebel" winning, I decided no, it would not be fun.
I dunno, it's mostly gone as expected so far with the winners of the sides. No real clunkers have made it through. Though there's time with Let It Be (the song) still to come.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Kory wrote:
I was musing the other day on whether it would be fun to do this kind of exercise for Bowie albums
I equally think the Rebel Rebel is the best Bowie song there is, and that it's also not even the best song on its own side.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Heston wrote:
05 Jan 2021, 2:59pm
WestwayKid wrote:
05 Jan 2021, 2:57pm
Flex wrote:
05 Jan 2021, 2:55pm
i prefer to think of it as three voters who still don't get how these poll mechanics work
I hope so. If someone actually voted for the reprise over A Day in the Life...I'd definitely want to hear the justification.
Tom?
It just isn't that special to me. I've got it on now, it's certainly not bad, far from it but I don't get the hype. It's a good track, but just that. I can't think of a time I'd choose to put it on over the monster of a rock track that is the reprise.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Maybe it's something I may appreciate more with age. Like olives or sprouts.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

tepista wrote:
05 Jan 2021, 4:06pm
Kory wrote:
I was musing the other day on whether it would be fun to do this kind of exercise for Bowie albums
I equally think the Rebel Rebel is the best Bowie song there is, and that it's also not even the best song on its own side.
I can see this viewpoint.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Kory wrote:
05 Jan 2021, 4:40pm
tepista wrote:
Kory wrote:
That side is a murderer’s row of top notch Bowie, but few but the hardest core fans would vote for the actual best track
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Wolter wrote:
05 Jan 2021, 5:16pm
Kory wrote:
tepista wrote:
Kory wrote:
That side is a murderer’s row of top notch Bowie, but few but the hardest core fans would vote for the actual best track
For some reason it only became my fave after he died, before that it wasn't even in my top 10. weird. It's been my ringtone for as long as I've had a smartphone, which is not really that long, but thats another story.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Heston

Post by Heston »

Just listened to the reprise again on headphones, it really is fantastic. The subtle key changes, the great live sound, the perfect harmony singing, just bloody great.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
05 Jan 2021, 5:42pm
Just listened to the reprise again on headphones, it really is fantastic. The subtle key changes, the great live sound, the perfect harmony singing, just bloody great.
Give it a reston, Heston.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Wolter wrote:
Kory wrote:
tepista wrote:
Kory wrote:
I think that's a case where the song 1/song 2/song 1 (reprise) is all actually one track though, unlike the reprise on THIS stupid album

Heston

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
05 Jan 2021, 5:56pm
Heston wrote:
Give it a reston, Heston.
:mrgreen:

Ok, no more reprises from me.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
You totally voted against ADitL this round.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jan 2021, 6:03pm
Heston wrote:
Nah, it's my joint favourite Beatles song along with Strawberry Fields and Golden Slumbers/Carry that Weight/The End.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
05 Jan 2021, 6:06pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jan 2021, 6:03pm
Heston wrote:
Nah, it's my joint favourite Beatles song along with Strawberry Fields and Golden Slumbers/Carry that Weight/The End.
Your reputation for admitting to any number of crimes against humanity makes you believable in this case. You may go, but don't leave town.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Kory wrote:
05 Jan 2021, 5:59pm
Wolter wrote:
Kory wrote:
tepista wrote:
Kory wrote:
I think that's a case where the song 1/song 2/song 1 (reprise) is all actually one track though, unlike the reprise on THIS stupid album
It definitely is one song in my opinion, though the edition I own makes it three tracks. And it’s probably the most Bowie song ever made.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"