Silent Majority wrote:
06 Jan 2021, 2:11pm
Heston wrote:
06 Jan 2021, 1:52pm
Wolter wrote:
06 Jan 2021, 1:47pm
JennyB wrote:
06 Jan 2021, 1:27pm
Voting for the antisemitic and homophobic Rich Man.
I voted “Love” first, but that one needs to go too, and would’ve voted both if I could.

Penny Lane has a great melody, unlike these. It should stay until 3rd in a just world.
I'd read about the slur in Rich Man but never heard it myself. Ive just read a thread on Steve Hoffman's board and most of the Beatles nerds are sceptical Lennon sang it. It seems to stem from an unsubstantiated story in a book by Ray Coleman.
Though I can believe it as the kind of thing Lennon would find funny.
Oh yeah, totally.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: Magical Mystery Tour - Side B - Round 1

Post by Wolter »

Heston wrote:
Wolter wrote:
JennyB wrote:
I voted “Love” first, but that one needs to go too, and would’ve voted both if I could.

Penny Lane has a great melody, unlike these. It should stay until 3rd in a just world.
I'd read about the slur in Rich Man but never heard it myself. Ive just read a thread on Steve Hoffman's board and most of the Beatles nerds are sceptical Lennon sang it. It seems to stem from an unsubstantiated story in a book by Ray Coleman.
I honestly don’t think it’s a good song even without a slur.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
06 Jan 2021, 2:14pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Jan 2021, 1:17pm
Silent Majority wrote:
06 Jan 2021, 1:13pm
Melody's too damn good on Penny Lane for it to go before a non-song like AYNIL. Penny Lane's also got a spookier vibe than people tend to remember, as though played by a music hall ghost on a pub piano.
AYNIL's chief virtue is in summarizing the essence of the Beatles' philosophy. The song itself is neither here nor there.
Well, I've no belief in their philosophy, Horatio. Love means nothing unless tide to action, continued action.
They would argue that love shapes the action. It's a wonderfully utopian notion amounts to "if you want something to be true, it will be." Works for hippies and modern fascists alike!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Wolter wrote:
06 Jan 2021, 2:25pm
Heston wrote:
Wolter wrote:
JennyB wrote:

Me neither. It is actually quite poor. The fact people have voted Penny Lane ahead of it is totally insane..
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Two votes for "Hello Goodbye"? The lyrics are silly Paul without being annoying Paul, while being superior Paul melody. If not for SFF—spoiler: Tom will vote against SFF because god has abandoned us—it'd easily be my pick for the side.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Jan 2021, 2:38pm
Two votes for "Hello Goodbye"? The lyrics are silly Paul without being annoying Paul, while being superior Paul melody. If not for SFF—spoiler: Tom will vote against SFF because god has abandoned us—it'd easily be my pick for the side.
A vote for anything other than "Baby" is insane to me.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
06 Jan 2021, 2:40pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
A vote for anything other than "Baby" is insane to me.
I like the groovy aesthetic and rhythm. I get that it wouldn't appeal to everyone, but I love that scrawk.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Wolter wrote:
06 Jan 2021, 2:25pm
Heston wrote:
Wolter wrote:
JennyB wrote:

Same.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Jan 2021, 2:33pm
Silent Majority wrote:
06 Jan 2021, 2:14pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Jan 2021, 1:17pm
Silent Majority wrote:
06 Jan 2021, 1:13pm
Melody's too damn good on Penny Lane for it to go before a non-song like AYNIL. Penny Lane's also got a spookier vibe than people tend to remember, as though played by a music hall ghost on a pub piano.
AYNIL's chief virtue is in summarizing the essence of the Beatles' philosophy. The song itself is neither here nor there.
Well, I've no belief in their philosophy, Horatio. Love means nothing unless tide to action, continued action.
They would argue that love shapes the action. It's a wonderfully utopian notion amounts to "if you want something to be true, it will be." Works for hippies and modern fascists alike!
The boomers' self satisfaction failed us all. It was a belief in their generation's exceptionalism and that a foggy conception of love alone could just triumph, that led to the 80s, the hippie to yuppie continuum.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Says the man who voted for Penny Lane, one of their undisputed classics.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
06 Jan 2021, 2:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Says the man who voted for Penny Lane, one of their undisputed classics.
I reject nostalgia songs by 23 year olds (see also: Stay Free).

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
06 Jan 2021, 2:47pm
The boomers' self satisfaction failed us all. It was a belief in their generation's exceptionalism and that a foggy conception of love alone could just triumph, that led to the 80s, the hippie to yuppie continuum.
Totally. There's also a fairly direct line to Manson in all that, too—the fantasist who can change the world. Yet I can't reject the fundamental humanism in what the Beatles represented, naive as it is. Its an impractical ambition, not a way of effecting real change, but an inspiration nonetheless.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Are we allowed to like "Baby, You're a Rich Man" by The Fat Boys?
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

tepista wrote:
06 Jan 2021, 4:49pm
Are we allowed to like "Baby, You're a Rich Man" by The Fat Boys?
allowed & encouraged
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Actually, no. My vote lies with Baby, You're A Rich Man. A song I wouldn't mind never hearing again.