26%
"All You Need Is Love"
42%

Total votes: 19

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Magical Mystery Tour - Side B - Round 2

Post by WestwayKid »

Baby, You're A Rich Man is gone...but votes were scattered across the side with only SFF not getting a vote.
Last edited by WestwayKid on 07 Jan 2021, 4:40pm, edited 2 times in total.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: Magical Mystery Tour - Side B - Round 2

Post by Flex »

sticking with penny lane. paul mccartneys dorkiest impulses should not be condoned.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Flex wrote:
07 Jan 2021, 2:40pm
sticking with penny lane. paul mccartneys dorkiest impulses should not be condoned.
Dorky? Nah you've lost me there.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Us punk rockers need to see off the meaningless hippie bullshit of All You Need Is Love, which is a shit, underwritten song with a message that encourages laying around on your arse not facing what's wrong with your life and the world.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Heston wrote:
07 Jan 2021, 2:53pm
Dorky? Nah you've lost me there.
being nostalgic for your childhood when your 20-something and super fucking rich and globally influential is extremely clownshoes, dorky shit. It's an impulse that would end up ruining something like half to 2/3rds of his post-beatles material.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

^^ This guy gets it.

For all his talent, and in the midst of a period celebrating youth (excessively, but still), Paul couldn't wait to become his grandparents.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I get your point and he was guilty of it a lot of the time but it works here thanks to the surreal edge to the lyrics, and one of the best melodies he ever wrote.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Penny Lane is a sweet, sunny spring afternoon, which is apparently not rock and roll enough for this board. :curses1: :curses1: :curses1:

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Penny Lane is a fantastic track - well constructed from beginning to end. Not as strong as HG or SFF...but definitely stronger than All You Need Is Love.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Silent Majority wrote:
Us punk rockers need to see off the meaningless hippie bullshit of All You Need Is Love, which is a shit, underwritten song with a message that encourages laying around on your arse not facing what's wrong with your life and the world.
Plus you can hear John chewing gum if you listen close enough... :mrgreen:

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Silent Majority wrote:
Word.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
07 Jan 2021, 3:45pm
Penny Lane is a sweet, sunny spring afternoon, which is apparently not rock and roll enough for this board. :curses1: :curses1: :curses1:
Those lyrics are basically a sitcom theme.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Penny Lane is a pretty song with eh lyrics. I’m not defending it as a personal favorite, but it’s way better than the nonsense that is AYNIL.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
That's a legit criticism and in the larger sense I agree. But using it to argue for—at least relatively so—a song about "remember how wonderful it was seeing the butcher and the grocer and the smell of flowers and food." I mean, if the standard is punk, "Penny Lane" is hardly better. How does it encourage action or critical thinking any more than AYNIL? AYNIL has an argument and a half-baked philosophy in it, but it's more than dumb nostalgia from someone who is, like, 23 years old. If you're going to critique AYNIL on those standards, apply them to PL.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Just to be a turd, I'll add some Hestonian logic. Close to half a billion people tuned in to see the band debut AYNIL. Surely that means it's a great song, no? :shifty: